Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tiny blisters on roof

mikliz

Good to meet you also and thanks for the details of your "wrapper" I've not done anything with the awning yet as been busy over the past few weeks. As for the roof I spoke to Barons, (Robinson's MB body shop) today and they told me that they are waiting for authorisation from MB technical and it could take a couple of months.
Saw this comment from you today,as I have discovered the dreaded blisters,I visited Barons today for them to inspect,in Norwich is this the same Barons? and have you heard anymore from them? They told me that if the blisters are "dry" they will just sand down and repaint, which after reading many of the comments doesn't sound good enough to me,would appreciate your comments

I had mine returned today after roof respray at vw ,it looks visable that it's resprayed and not replaced and a nice foot long deep scratch right down the passenger side of the van so I've rejected the respray as I thought it would be replaced not sanded down repainted could any one advised if the roof looks resprayed of replaced I'm at my wits end with this I've also been advised not to drive the car I've been given as it's not taxed

askho

I had mine returned today after roof respray at vw ,it looks visable that it's resprayed and not replaced and a nice foot long deep scratch right down the passenger side of the van so I've rejected the respray as I thought it would be replaced not sanded down repainted could any one advised if the roof looks resprayed of replaced I'm at my wits end with this I've also been advised not to drive the car I've been given as it's not taxed
Why was the roof resprayed at VW?

Because my dealer doesn't have a body shop, I only knew it was there after the fact ,hopefully it all gets resolved as I'm totally annoyed it doesn't look correct to me

askho

Don't accept it if the respray is not right. Anyway most of us with roof blisters were told we needed new roofs. I wonder if Mercedes have changed their policy. Not surprising as there are so many cases.

That's what I thought was going to be done a replacement roof not an orange peel respray the manager had called me and advised he's going to get it sorted out

Carol

Saw this comment from you today,as I have discovered the dreaded blisters,I visited Barons today for them to inspect,in Norwich is this the same Barons? and have you heard anymore from them? They told me that if the blisters are "dry" they will just sand down and repaint, which after reading many of the comments doesn't sound good enough to me,would appreciate your comments
I had a new roof , second roof looks like two boils in middle of roof , MB just agreed l need another roof , so don’t accept sanding down it wit blister again later . I saw a brand new van at dealership ready to go to customer , sadly the roof had already blistered

Method7

Has anyone had a successful roof blisters conclusion? Sounds like everyone is going round in circles...

I’m still waiting for a reply from MB, it went to the body shop about 8 weeks ago. I was warned it could take about two months.

I had a new roof , second roof looks like two boils in middle of roof , MB just agreed l need another roof , so don’t accept sanding down it wit blister again later . I saw a brand new van at dealership ready to go to customer , sadly the roof had already blistered
Thanks carol for your input,My resprayed roof look like one big mess to me and I'm a no bodywork expert thankfully I noticed my van was also scratched pretty badly so I started to take a closer look at the roof repair and I concluded it had been resprayed rather crudely , in fact It Looked better before the work so i sent the driver back with it

Has anyone had a successful roof blisters conclusion? Sounds like everyone is going round in circles...

I’m still waiting for a reply from MB, it went to the body shop about 8 weeks ago. I was warned it could take about two months.
Yes me too, I'd be interested to find out if a successful outcome can be achieved on this

You can't do that with fibreglass really. Needs replacing

Yeah you want you see the "repaint" on mine it's orange peel city , I was told it needed a new roof and waited months for one to arrive only to find out they tried to respray it, any way I sent it back with the driver who delivered it to me so that's three weeks I've not had my camper so far and maybe more than that to go now as I will not accept my car back in that condition ,luckily I had a walk round at my request on giving them the van which I recorded on video so when it arrived back with further damage I had the proof required so glad I did that I did the same on the untaxed loan car currently outside my house waiting to be clamped

mptripsaway

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away.

The situation with my MP is that the roof is going to be replaced (wet blisters senario) and it is currently on back order. When I bought mine in Jul 2017 there were a few micro bubbles just above the driver's door which at that time was put down to a paint quality problem and was resprayed immediately, it was only later when others raised the blister issue that I took a second look and found that they had reappeared along with several quite large ones that looked like a painted over rivet...when pierced with a needle there was a significant amount of sticky fluid that came out and the paint in that area has since flaked off. I am pretty relaxed about the wait for a resolution because it is only asthetic and doesn't affect my use and enjoyment of the MP but I can understand your anxiety to get the correct repairs first time rather that have to revisit it again in the future. I hope that you are able to get the resolution that you want.
Regards, D

mikliz

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away.

The situation with my MP is that the roof is going to be replaced (wet blisters senario) and it is currently on back order. When I bought mine in Jul 2017 there were a few micro bubbles just above the driver's door which at that time was put down to a paint quality problem and was resprayed immediately, it was only later when others raised the blister issue that I took a second look and found that they had reappeared along with several quite large ones that looked like a painted over rivet...when pierced with a needle there was a significant amount of sticky fluid that came out and the paint in that area has since flaked off. I am pretty relaxed about the wait for a resolution because it is only asthetic and doesn't affect my use and enjoyment of the MP but I can understand your anxiety to get the correct repairs first time rather that have to revisit it again in the future. I hope that you are able to get the resolution that you want.
Regards, D
Thanks for your update,barons pierced the blisters when we took it to them for inspection and they were dry,on reflection we now think maybe respraying the existing roof might be the better option pr voiding they do a good job,replacing the roof, disconnecting every thing including the canvas and roof lining could be a recipe for other problems especially if they haven't done many,we wait to see what Mercedes decide ,just out of curiosity is it barons in Norwich that you are dealing with or do they have other branches?many thanks ,Millie

Thanks for your update,barons pierced the blisters when we took it to them for inspection and they were dry,on reflection we now think maybe respraying the existing roof might be the better option pr voiding they do a good job,replacing the roof, disconnecting every thing including the canvas and roof lining could be a recipe for other problems especially if they haven't done many,we wait to see what Mercedes decide ,just out of curiosity is it barons in Norwich that you are dealing with or do they have other branches?many thanks ,Millie

If fibreglass starts to bubble up, it's usually because it's moist inside. You'll never get it out.

I spoke the the body shop manager at a different dealer yesterday about my roof and he said the only fix is to replace the roof anything less isn't a fix and he's done a few

mptripsaway

Yes, Barons of Norwich.

Method7

Apparently, MB have authorised a replacement roof for our MP... good news because 3 weeks in SW France seemed to dry out the blisters and all that is left is lots of tiny raised scars, some residue and lots of tree sap :p. BUT it’s on back-order lol. Hardly surprising really.

Back today after having the recall ✅ checked (replacement mattress ordered - on back order) the curtain rail replaced, pillow net poppers repaired and the RH steering wheel button cluster replaced.

Nice and shiny again too, I love that from MB.

Apparently, MB have authorised a replacement roof for our MP... good news because 3 weeks in SW France seemed to dry out the blisters and all that is left is lots of tiny raised scars, some residue and lots of tree sap :p. BUT it’s on back-order lol. Hardly surprising really.

Back today after having the recall ✅ checked (replacement mattress ordered - on back order) the curtain rail replaced, pillow net poppers repaired and the RH steering wheel button cluster replaced.

Yeah I got mine back today also method 7 , my roof blister had also dried out after a trip to Germany recently I've also been told roof ordered for you now on back order and we 'll have it fixed asap which is great ,I've had my battery replaced and also the pull out table as it was broken when I received the van ,they have thrown in a free service aswell for my troubles which I'm really grateful for ,the man at the top stepped in and I finally feel like the problems I've had with it are now gone which is great as I love the van it's amazing

Carol

Hi was there a problem with the mattress
Had roof hinges checked for corrosion they are being replaced, also the seat/bed reclining switch is being replaced