Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Software Update - 'Just like a laptop'

marfthew

Hi Mat,

I know this post was from last year but I’ve just experienced the identical problem with the tailgate and sliding door not working either.

Once you had the ABS sensors replaced did the problem ever come back again or did that sort it for good?

thanks,

matt

Nilanjan

Hi Mat,

I exactly had similar problems while on my holidays in Norway, now in June 2022, above arctic circle, from Belgium(my home country). Few days before my trip started my MP recovered from a crushed front due to a frontal crash with a deer. A week after recovery we started our 8000km round trip vacation.
I am a new member here and just noticed your post. I went to nearest available MB garage in Norway and they repaired/changed my ABS sensor( now I realize the initial repairing MB garage in Belgium forgot to update /upgrade software) then I paid around 600 euro immediately to the MB dealer in Norway as total cost; actually I paid now extra after the 2nd repair. I have also strange skreeking noise and still unpredictable ABS warnings, as Nowegian MB dealer above arctic circle only keep us mobile during our vacation.
I am attaching all the similar photos and the video.
Regards
Nilanjan577FB718-6376-41E8-ABFD-605E69E5EA69.jpeg21B74D1D-443A-41CE-95A8-FD667899C481.jpeg142B2685-050D-4704-A03D-1C7843EE5F32.jpeg0C82424F-C8F0-4323-B708-1DF2BA454988.jpegDFD7B45B-787E-4F22-AC9C-D884958B516F.jpegF265D13F-580E-4883-A462-7593219A2137.jpeg23B170A1-1B0E-4E2F-AF71-CDEA8216834D.jpeg577FB718-6376-41E8-ABFD-605E69E5EA69.jpeg21B74D1D-443A-41CE-95A8-FD667899C481.jpeg142B2685-050D-4704-A03D-1C7843EE5F32.jpeg0C82424F-C8F0-4323-B708-1DF2BA454988.jpegDFD7B45B-787E-4F22-AC9C-D884958B516F.jpegF265D13F-580E-4883-A462-7593219A2137.jpeg23B170A1-1B0E-4E2F-AF71-CDEA8216834D.jpeg23B170A1-1B0E-4E2F-AF71-CDEA8216834D.jpegDFD7B45B-787E-4F22-AC9C-D884958B516F.jpeg577FB718-6376-41E8-ABFD-605E69E5EA69.jpeg577FB718-6376-41E8-ABFD-605E69E5EA69.jpeg21B74D1D-443A-41CE-95A8-FD667899C481.jpeg142B2685-050D-4704-A03D-1C7843EE5F32.jpeg0C82424F-C8F0-4323-B708-1DF2BA454988.jpeg

Nilanjan

Furthermore here is the video / audio of skreeking sound . Not a brake issue… does any one have experience with this issue?
Nilanjan

Explorer

Having similar problems with the ABS and PRE-SAFE messages. This happened same time as the map function stopped working properly.
The Mercedes workshop wants to exchange the brake discs before even searching for other problems with the sensors. (After 16000 km)
Not hearing any sound anomalies though.

Mat-One-T

Hi Mat,

I know this post was from last year but I’ve just experienced the identical problem with the tailgate and sliding door not working either.

Once you had the ABS sensors replaced did the problem ever come back again or did that sort it for good?

thanks,

matt
Hi Matt,

Fingers crossed, but it's been fine ever since.

Thanks,

Mat

PeteS

It is worth taking out the Mercedes Warranty. There are so many bits that could go wrong all of them expensive. I have had 3 exhaust sensors ( there are only 2 on a V class) fitted within 7 months all covered.
Worth the piece of mind I think it was £700 for 2 years.

Steve B

It is worth taking out the Mercedes Warranty. There are so many bits that could go wrong all of them expensive. I have had 3 exhaust sensors ( there are only 2 on a V class) fitted within 7 months all covered.
Worth the piece of mind I think it was £700 for 2 years.
I've put it in a recent post, but agree, there seems so much to go wrong on the 'car' parts of the MP, and everything costs so much more now. I've got the extended warranty, first time in 30+ years to take one out on anything.

JulieG

I have had the Pre-safe and ABS warnings twice in the past year. On both occasions replacing the sensor resolved the issue.

J

Jarmany

VIP Member
We too are experiencing ABS and pre safe warning signals. We are experiencing slight power steering loss and cruise control inoperable. Can’t work out if it is software or sensors or both. Any comments please.

Explorer

We too are experiencing ABS and pre safe warning signals. We are experiencing slight power steering loss and cruise control inoperable. Can’t work out if it is software or sensors or both. Any comments please.
In my case it was a rotation sensor fault on one of the wheels. Pity that the manual and display feedback cannot give more precise information.

PeteS

The tailgate on my V Class lowered itself and then just powered back up. It was if the tailgate was sensing it was trapping something.
Mercedes took the car in and replaced the Lock, Motor and then the Door ECU. Apparent the Door ECU controls the doors and the Tailgate. They did say that if it was the wiring then that would not be covered. It took a week to sort out but the Mercedes Assistance sorted out a car for me.
I asked what it would cost without the warranty and was told about £1500.
What surprised me was that three items all failed at the same time.

PeteS

I agree that it is not what you would expect from Mercedes. The warranty claim in France is normal. You have to settle the bill and keep all the paperwork and receipts, then claim the money back in the UK. I think VW use a similar process.
The reason why the Mercedes Dealer did not change both sensors is that unless they can prove it is faulty at the time then they won’t be paid for it under the warranty.
I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Mat-One-T

I agree that it is not what you would expect from Mercedes. The warranty claim in France is normal. You have to settle the bill and keep all the paperwork and receipts, then claim the money back in the UK. I think VW use a similar process.
The reason why the Mercedes Dealer did not change both sensors is that unless they can prove it is faulty at the time then they won’t be paid for it under the warranty.
I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday.
When I had the issue whilst on holiday in Ireland they recommended replacing both sensors, even though one was faulty, and the extended warranty covered it. This was in August 2021, so there may have been a policy change since then, but would be worth checking if this crops up for anyone else.

Thanks, Mat.

J

Jarmany

VIP Member
Our story for our 2019 Marco Polo 250D. I feel we have got off lightly! We had the same error messages of ABS and brake lights up on the dashboard. inoperative cruise control, slight power steering loss and occasional unwarranted acceleration blips. After all, everything ends up at the ECU!
We put up with this intermittent behavior for trips to Yorkshire and France (we live down south), careful all the while for the inherent implied braking issues.
We do not have extended warranty so booked it in to our local tier1 Bosch garage who we trust and who replaced the rear ABS sensor at normal cost and so far, touch wood, all seems to be working as it should. I guess until the next sensor goes I suppose.
Under 3yr warranty we have had a new roof, replacement leisure battery and various small issues.All the usual complaints.....

Rolandaa

Hi Epigram,

I'll start another thread for the tailgate release, as this may have a wider audience. It was only the tailgate that would not open at all, which was particularly inconvenient as we have two large storage containers beneath the bed extension. The sliding door could be opened (with effort as there was no motor assist), the upper tailgate door would open (access to top of bed extension), and both front doors operated normally. The doors unlocked, so this system does not seem to get a speed signal from the ABS computer. Picture of dash warning message below:

Thanks, Mat.
Really interesting....

GTL

I've had the same experience of having the dash warning of loss of ABS, ESP, weird steering feel and bonkers SatNav. I hadn't noticed anything wrong with the doors opening but may have missed this. It happens on a long motorway journey after about 300 miles. Then after a day or so it all returns to normal. The first time it happened I contacted my nearest dealer, MB Truro, and the guy in the service department said "wait for it to happen again and then call MB breakdown"!!!! So it did happen again and MB sent out the RAC. The chap did a diagnostics check and told me the front offside speed sensor was the problem and he could replace it but would have to order the part. I don't know if that is the same as an ABS sensor? Unfortunately we had to leave to go home the next day and couldn't use him. However a few weeks later, yesterday, I took the Marco Polo in for a service and MOT (at a non MB place – Marc Autocare) and asked the garage to fit a replacement speed sensor which they did for about £160 parts and labour. I shall discover in due course if that has done the trick and the problem has gone away.

Don't get me onto the subject of MB Truro trying to solve my problems with the roof alarms going off all the time – the high-pitched one from the centre control panel, and the loud one from under the fridge (I can "cure" the latter one by turning off the auto engine stop so that the alarm doesn't start up every time after the vehicle comes to a halt with the engine running). The vehicle's been in about 5 times and the problem returns each time after they "fix" it. They have, allegedly replaced the leisure battery, the centre console control, the hydraulic struts on the roof, the closing sensors, water pump and each time the problem returns after a couple of weeks. They have now said that as the van is out of warranty they will charge for any additional work. We're moving to Lancashire in a couple of months and I shall ask around up there to see if anyone can fix it.. In the meantime if anyone has a definitive solution to this please let me know – it's driving me and my wife crazy.