Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Reclassification as campervan

Epigram

On another post
AndyP12345 said:
......... Also looks like it gets registered as a Camper so the RFL is 270 with no first reg fee of £1850!!
I raised the following question but as it was of topic I have raised it as a separate thread.

Interesting about MB now registering the Marco Polo as a camper but also is the first reg fee and ongoing additional fee.
It may have been covered on another elsewhere but if existing vehicles are re-registered with DVLA as campers (a relatively simple process) do they then become exempt for the additional excise charge which is ongoing for 5 years?
I was ambivalent about changing the classification because it made little difference to my combined vehicle insurance and the dealer paid the first year’s registration anyway as part of the deal.
However, if changing the classification results is a reduction in VED for the next four years, a bit of form filling and a couple of photos might be worth the effort !

GeorgeG

A number of years ago I was involved in getting the California re-classified as a camper van. I think this was about 9 years ago. It was successful in the short term because DVLA accepted that VW GB had registered them as a car that was taxed on emissions. As I had the biggest engine with the worst emissions it resulted in quite a saving.
I posted the results of my success on the California Facebook forum (I’ve not looked at it for years as I have nothing to do with Facebook these days). As a result of a flood of applications from California owners to change the status of their vans, DVLA imposed a moratorium on the tax change. I think they subsequently reversed the decision, but by that time I had got rid of my California.

My concern over vehicle excise duty is not so much the exorbitant level over the first 5 years, but more likely the Treasury targeting ‘luxury’ cars in the future - particularly diesels. As the MP is classified as an MPV on the V5 and typically costs over £60,000, the fact that is essentially a motor home will not persuade the DVLA it is anything other than a luxury car. if they get carried away and push VED costs towards £1k, this could see used values plummeting.

I would be interested to know where you got the information Epigram concerning re-classification. It may well be due to Mercedes in Germany changing things at the manufacturers end, or maybe the EU have made changes. I would be keen to pursue a change if possible.

While writing this, I just remembered that I took this matter up with Mercedes UK and they told me to go through the supplying dealer. That was over 2 years ago and I’ve heard nothing!
par for the course.

Epigram

Hi GeorgeG
Sorry for the delayed reply, I have very restricted access to the internet atm - I am away in France atm and luckily have avoided floods but not bad weather.
I saw the information on the MP Facebook site when there discussion relating to new orders - see the screenshot below.

As you say quite a lot at stake and worth following up!
1601900538156.png

GeorgeG

Hi GeorgeG
Sorry for the delayed reply, I have very restricted access to the internet atm - I am away in France atm and luckily have avoided floods but not bad weather.
I saw the information on the MP Facebook site when there discussion relating to new orders - see the screenshot below.

As you say quite a lot at stake and worth following up!
View attachment 1164
Hi Epigram, thanks for that.
As I’m loathe to rejoin Facebook (I regard it as having a terribly insidious effect on society - just my opinion!) do you know if anyone on the Facebook group has applied for re-classification of VED?
Also, do you know what the current V5 classifies the MP as - mine is MPV?

AndyP12345

The MP is classified as a Special Purpose Vehicle - Camper Van the price for the one we have on order has been reduced as result of change from £1850 to £270. So more to spend on accessories

GeorgeG

The MP is classified as a Special Purpose Vehicle - Camper Van the price for the one we have on order has been reduced as result of change from £1850 to £270. So more to spend on accessories
Very interesting and a nice surprise for you.

pumpsmynads

I’ve dropped a note to my supplying dealer. See what they say. It makes no difference to them at all so cant see any issues.

GeorgeG

Change your dealer unless you are waiting for your order. Who is it? You can always find out who their franchise head is and cc them into everything.
I’ve had my MP for over 2 years. The main problem over communication with my dealer concerns service enquiries and warranty issues (far too many for me as far as I’m concerned as a Toyota car owner).
The main reason I’m concerned about the high VED and classification as effectively a ‘luxury car’ is the potential effect on its secondhand value. I got rid of a VW California after 4 years from new because of a never-ending list of warranty issues, large and small. I’ve a nasty feeling my MP is going the same way.

PeeGee

Has anyone actually succeeded in changing the classification to Camper after the MP has been initially classified as an MPV? Mine is 18 months old. It looks as though you can apply to the DVLA on Form V1006. Any tips about gaffes to avoid? Any idea of timescale?

APL46

I tried to reclassify my 2018 MP with DVLA and failed a year or so ago! DVLA changed their guidance but didn't publish it at the time but they now have, see https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...van/converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motor-caravan
I made a complaint to the Ombudsman and even though he upheld my complaint, he couldn't get the DVLA to reclassify my vehicle. What was even more strange was the DVLA reclassified other MP's around that time including a Horizon so they seem to be hit and miss to say the least. Seems the MP will not qualify looking at the new DVLA guidance as no high top roof or side decals.

GeorgeG

I tried to reclassify my 2018 MP with DVLA and failed a year or so ago! DVLA changed their guidance but didn't publish it at the time but they now have, see https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...van/converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motor-caravan
I made a complaint to the Ombudsman and even though he upheld my complaint, he couldn't get the DVLA to reclassify my vehicle. What was even more strange was the DVLA reclassified other MP's around that time including a Horizon so they seem to be hit and miss to say the least. Seems the MP will not qualify looking at the new DVLA guidance as no high top roof or side decals.
Very interesting and thanks for that information.
About 12 years ago when I was one of the instigators of the campaign to get the California reclassified as a motor home, we found that individual DVLA offices seemed to adopt different policies. I took my California to Exeter DVLA with evidence it was a motor home and after they had a quick look at it, the reclassification was very straightforward. However, others owners were turned down by different DVLA branches! It seems a similar thing is happening with the MP.

GeorgeG

Bearing in mind the extra levy on vehicles whose MRSP is over £40,000 (clearly all MP’s fall into this category) and that the VED on motor homes is higher than for an MPV, I’ve begun to question the need to reclassify.
Any thoughts on what I’m missing would be much appreciated.

Epigram

The option to reclassify the MP as campervan no longer exists!

DVLA have surreptitiously moved the goal posts. The August 2020 has added a high top roof to the external criteria and it specifically excludes pop up roofs.
I haven’t looked on the California forum where reclassification is a recurring topic but I expect this will have some owners will be not be happy.
It will be interesting to see what is on the V5C for new MP owners and if , they have been quoted on the road prices in accordance with the brochure copied in post 3 above, whether the dealer honours the price.

I don’t use the MP as a daily driver (a pity because I enjoy driving it) and with winter and lockdowns it is SORNed at every opportunity so the MRSP levy and RFL is gradually being clawed back when the vehicle is not in use!

RFT

DVLA have declined my reclassification application on the basis that it must have external features that identify it as a motorhome. Despite the fact that I advised that the MP was and continues to be sold as new by MB, DVLA refer to 'your modifications' and further advise that no appeal is allowed.

GeorgeG

I had thought it would be an idea to buy some stick-on decals, apply for re-classification and when approved, remove them:rolleyes:
However, if you also need a high top roof it wouldn’t work. Is it the case that you need ALL of the external features mentioned in the DVLA advice to qualify for re-classification?

Epigram

For those who are interested , these are the weasel words. :(

Attachments

• 47D4E5CA-EE47-4789-92A2-D57681B3516E.png
    47D4E5CA-EE47-4789-92A2-D57681B3516E.png
    331.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 9B960CAF-765C-46CA-B387-22A8FF51D8D9.png
    9B960CAF-765C-46CA-B387-22A8FF51D8D9.png
    363.7 KB · Views: 16