Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Reclassification as campervan

RFT

I’m tempted to write to my MP, bearing in mind AP46’s Ombudsman finding and RFT’s appeal declined. Sounds very much like tin-pot bureaucrats overstepping the mark!

I’d like to see a recent V5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epigram

RFT I agree.
As well as being obstructive, the DVLA “guidance” (for conversions) is inconsistent.
The addition of a pop up roof would make the vehicle appear more like a camper to the police - am not aware of many builder’s vans with pop up roofs !
Anyway the police can look up the vehicle classification immediately on the Police National Computer in real time from the registration so DVLA using the police ability to recognise the tye of vehicle for what is essentially excise duty classifcation is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Carol

Not being registered as a camper van , means l can park along the east coast by the sea, most parking areas along sea front has signs that state no motor homes or camper vans , so l must be exempt in a Marco Polo

APL46

RFT I agree.
As well as being obstructive, the DVLA “guidance” (for conversions) is inconsistent.
The addition of a pop up roof would make the vehicle appear more like a camper to the police - am not aware of many builder’s vans with pop up roofs !
Anyway the police can look up the vehicle classification immediately on the Police National Computer in real time from the registration so DVLA using the police ability to recognise the tye of vehicle for what is essentially excise duty classifcation is irrelevant.
I used that argument when I was in correspondence with DVLA but their response was that not all police vehicles were equipped with number plate recognition! I also made the point that there were many conversions that had been re-registered, particularly VW vans and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart from a VW van, but I cam up against a bureaucratic brick wall! I didn't write to my MP but I would be interested to learn of the response if anyone does.