Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New MP owner soon. Taking delivery of MP 300d AMG next Thursday!

Steve B

Question for ya, where did you get the external window cover from in your avatar? Love it!
From the shop on here, you can request anything to be put on (within reason I suppose!). Mine has had a lot of use and I wouldn't be without it. The only 'event' we had with it was someone putting the ignition on and starting the engine and the windscreen wipers started :rolleyes: A little bit of damage to the MB badge which is sewn on.

Webbah

Took the new MP up into the mountains to do a test night camping behind Pilates. Amazing secret spot. 5 Chf for 24 hours of parking and camping allowed, with a very nice stream directly in front. Public bathrooms available, and very very quiet. Was a very nice evening testing the camper!

I do have a few questions though if anyone has any tips?

1) The table and chairs take up a large portion of the rear storage. Any creative solutions for this? Perhaps remove the included storage piece and swap out to a sliding shelf module? Or dump the entire kit and get some ultralight and compact table and chairs?

2) Perhaps the van just needs a break in period, but when I am slowing down and the gearbox is downshifting it often has a big jolt/clunk when downshifting into 1st gear before a stop. Doesn't seem normal to me. Do I need this to be checked by service?

3) It looks like my MBAC is generation 1 even though the build date of the van was only a few months ago. Is this merely a firmware update to get to Generation 2 or does this require new hardware that the service needs to install? The dealer I bought the van from was pretty clueless on this. The app does say that Mercedes Service will do the upgrade for free though. I may have to go to a different dealer/service to check this out.

4) The Mercedes me Service app has a message "Registration date missing, please have it registered by your Mercedes Benz partner to see relevant service information". Is this simply a matter of needing to wait a few days for the system to be updated? I already have the plates and registration for the car.

5) The Mercedes me application on the van touchscreen gives me a message "You do not have access to services" however it does show my ID is linked. Also a matter of needing to wait some days for things to update in the system?

6) Mercedes me synchronization from the app to the van is not working. I've enabled Automatic Sync and it still doesn't work. Also a matter of needing to be patient? ;-)

A lot of questions I know. But hopefully the experts here can shed some light as the dealer I bought from doesn't sell a lot of MP's and is mostly a car dealer.

Thanks!

Grand Tourismo

Took the new MP up into the mountains to do a test night camping behind Pilates. Amazing secret spot. 5 Chf for 24 hours of parking and camping allowed, with a very nice stream directly in front. Public bathrooms available, and very very quiet. Was a very nice evening testing the camper!

1) The table and chairs take up a large portion of the rear storage. Any creative solutions for this? Perhaps remove the included storage piece and swap out to a sliding shelf module? Or dump the entire kit and get some ultralight and compact table and chairs?
Some people purchase a slide out drawer which fits under the existing storage system. Personally I don't mind the bulk of the OEM fitment as we use the MP as a day van. Your choice, why not live with it a while and see if it is still an issue?
2) Perhaps the van just needs a break in period, but when I am slowing down and the gearbox is downshifting it often has a big jolt/clunk when downshifting into 1st gear before a stop. Doesn't seem normal to me. Do I need this to be checked by service?
There is a thread about new MP's coming out with some erratic downshift issues, it seems a re-map cures the issue....full thread here.

Webbah

Some people purchase a slide out drawer which fits under the existing storage system. Personally I don't mind the bulk of the OEM fitment as we use the MP as a day van. Your choice, why not live with it a while and see if it is still an issue?

There is a thread about new MP's coming out with some erratic downshift issues, it seems a re-map cures the issue....full thread here.
Awesome, thank you! I drove to the Benz Service center near my home that only services the vans, trucks, and Sprinters. They are super cool and doing both the remap and upgrade of MBAC to Generation 2 right now! Love the Mercedes service experience. Tesla was pathetic in comparison!

Steve B

Looks like you had a good first camp experience, and many of the issues are software related. With the rear storage, there are many references on here and alternatives, but as with GT I am happy with the stowage. I put other items in there and have two plastic low sided boxes underneath with 25m hook up cable, outside gas stove etc etc in. It all works for me.

Webbah

I've now owned the MP for almost a week and brought it to service to fix a few things. I'm curious what others have found with their new vans?

- Pop top squeaking while driving from the front. Mercedes Service will fix this by most likely tightening it down more and confirming it's not a seal issue

- Rust on the suspension forming already. Most people wouldn't check this I know, but I like to ensure I do prevention on my new cars so they last many years without rust on suspension, wheel hubs, etc. For years I've used a great product called "Corrosion Block" which is used primarily by the aviation industry and it works wonders. I put my car on my friends lift and had a look to see what I would be dealing with and found this rust in the attached photos. I treated it with Corrosion Block for now, but Mercedes agreed that this is excessive for a 4 day old van. They will remove the rust and treat it first before painting it with high temperature underbody paint.

- Kitchen table leg: I installed a small piece of felt under the leg to prevent any scratching of the floors.

- Inactive 12v power from front cabin while engine is off. I'm having solar panels installed on Friday and he will also install a 12v 20 Amp socket below the 230v socket on the terminal strip which will be always active. This way I can easily charge my EcoFlow Delta and other things without the motor running or being connected to external 230v. I know the rear passenger 12v is always active but this is not the best location for me.

Attachments

• IMG_1231.JPG
    IMG_1231.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1232.JPG
    IMG_1232.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1233.JPG
    IMG_1233.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1234.JPG
    IMG_1234.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1235.JPG
    IMG_1235.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

Webbah

Here's the link to the product I use. It's fantastic stuff! I have both the spray and the grease. Use it on the side door chain, battery terminals, under carriage for rust, rubber parts, etc. On my other cars it's prevented all corrosion for years and the service centers are always amazed at how well it works that they often order it themselves!

The fat controller

3) It looks like my MBAC is generation 1 even though the build date of the van was only a few months ago. Is this merely a firmware update to get to Generation 2 or does this require new hardware that the service needs to install? The dealer I bought the van from was pretty clueless on this. The app does say that Mercedes Service will do the upgrade for free though. I may have to go to a different dealer/service to check this out.

4) The Mercedes me Service app has a message "Registration date missing, please have it registered by your Mercedes Benz partner to see relevant service information". Is this simply a matter of needing to wait a few days for the system to be updated? I already have the plates and registration for the car.

5) The Mercedes me application on the van touchscreen gives me a message "You do not have access to services" however it does show my ID is linked. Also a matter of needing to wait some days for things to update in the system?

6) Mercedes me synchronization from the app to the van is not working. I've enabled Automatic Sync and it still doesn't work. Also a matter of needing to be patient? ;-)

A lot of questions I know. But hopefully the experts here can shed some light as the dealer I bought from doesn't sell a lot of MP's and is mostly a car dealer.

Thanks!
Just in response to point 1 (seems like you're way ahead with the others!) I removed that bag/chair preparation. We are a family of 4 so it didn't work for us. Now we have a huge boot space and take comfy camping chairs plus all the other gubbins that the kids want! I've considered the slide out trays but for me they don't seem worthwhile. We often take larger items like paddleboards and it is handy to be able to slide these in with no obstruction. A couple of well fitted boxes provide storage for 'van items' and 'wet/sandy items'.
Ps the table stayed though as a handy side table for when cooking out.

Greetings everyone,

Been a silent observer for quite some time and am finally taking the plunge. I'll be receiving my 2021 MP 300d AMG in Canvasite Blue this Thursday! I'm super excited and it feels like Christmas. I've learned a lot being a voyeur so far here so hope I can contribute in the future. I've owned Tesla's since 2012 having the original Tesla Roadster and then the Model 3 Performance. With a 6 month old baby and now living in Lucerne it was time to tap into the adventurous side of me I left many years ago moving from San Diego. Stoked to be here!
Same! Arriving January.

Webbah

Had my 320 watt solar install done on Thursday afternoon. Very pleased! CaliSolar uses top notch kit. These panels are very well made and rugged while being super thin. The mounting plate only attaches to the rails so no drilling, holes or glue required. I also had the installer add a 20 Amp 12v socket at the base of the power strip below the 230V (next to the sink) that will be always hot. This is perfect as I don’t need an inverter installed in the MP. I have an EcoFlow Delta that has 1,800 watt / 3,000 watt peak internally and it can charge from multiple sources with 12v being one of them. So now it can charge in tandem with the leisure battery in the MP. I can then power all my electrical appliances as desired. Small air fryer, electric BBQ, Nespresso coffee machine, Electric kettle, and charge my gadgets. Super happy! Can also connect to it via Bluetooth and an iPhone app to monitor charging, collect statistics up to 30 days, etc. Ready for some off grid camping now!

Attachments

• 09350584-ACD0-4BDE-9F64-37AA6FC748B9.jpeg
    09350584-ACD0-4BDE-9F64-37AA6FC748B9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • 9AF339F3-FCB8-4279-9360-2A2F57B328E9.jpeg
    9AF339F3-FCB8-4279-9360-2A2F57B328E9.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
  • 0EFB8FAE-D2D1-47E4-8963-A42F25F19C12.jpeg
    0EFB8FAE-D2D1-47E4-8963-A42F25F19C12.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 31
  • 8ADE649A-6822-43F9-A0D2-A76171228AC0.jpeg
    8ADE649A-6822-43F9-A0D2-A76171228AC0.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31

Grand Tourismo

That solar installation is very neat - and I am super impressed about how fast you and your network of suppliers are proceeding in developing your perfect vehicle...like a Swiss watch!

Webbah

That solar installation is very neat - and I am super impressed about how fast you and your network of suppliers are proceeding in developing your perfect vehicle...like a Swiss watch!
Thanks man! Solar was one thing that was mandatory for me so I had researched it in advance. There is no way I want to be shackled to a plug for power. ;-) Next up is underbody protection from Hess. By next spring I want mine setup and ready for some remote surfing sessions in Portugal, Spain and the south of France.

Grand Tourismo

Thanks man! Solar was one thing that was mandatory for me so I had researched it in advance. There is no way I want to be shackled to a plug for power. ;-) Next up is underbody protection from Hess. By next spring I want mine setup and ready for some remote surfing sessions in Portugal, Spain and the south of France.
I have no doubt you will be more than ready :Thumbs up:

Steve B

Nice neat set up, with that amount of panel area you might want to consider selling back energy to the Swiss power network :)

Webbah

Nice neat set up, with that amount of panel area you might want to consider selling back energy to the Swiss power network :)
Tested it all weekend and it was fantastic! I really needed this as I have a hobby riding electric skateboards. I have an Evolve Carbon GTR which has a 10Ah battery and I wanted to be able to recharge that on the go and not be shackled to any plugs. The board has a 40-50km range, but I often ride in the mountains and get less than that carve bombing downhill and riding back uphill. Super happy with the results so far! Was able to recharge 3 times this past weekend and the leisure battery was always at 100% before nightfall. Coolerbox on setting 3 and using lighting, and more as well.

Steve B

I'm still considering solar, two of my friend have it on their vans and swear by it. Lockdown etc put it on the backburner as its a bit of a distance to the South West to get it installed.

Grand Tourismo

I'm still considering solar, two of my friend have it on their vans and swear by it. Lockdown etc put it on the backburner as its a bit of a distance to the South West to get it installed.
Take the plunge Steve, you will never look back. After a day trip and if I am going out the next day I leave the fridge on overnight or if I am planning a day trip (and I remember) I will put the fridge on the day before to chill it down ready. A 100w panel keeps the fridge going for days on end, I run out of trips time before I run out of power...also the leisure battery just stays topped up all through the winter months without the need to plug in.

My solar came with the van but it could have been a neater install like Webbah has. I like the curly extender wire and the low level panel brackets which fit on the roof rails he has on his install.

Webbah

My solution to a portable hot shower. Holds 7 liters so my thought is 5 liters of van water (cold obviously) and add 2 liters of hot water from my electric kettle. Will modify ratios as I test this out. Side benefit, can be used for cleaning dishes, muddy toys and gear, and washing my rims and tires, etc. I also have a RinseKit that can heat up over 12v but unfortunately it requires a pressured hose to fill. The Karcher is battery powered and can be top filled so easy to fill from the rear using the van hookup. Yes, there are alternatives on the market that can use a gas hookup to heat the water but my goal is no gas as I already have water and electricity (solar and 1800/3000 watt inverter for electric kettle and to charge the Karcher for example) Will report results this weekend as I'll be high up in the cold Alps!

Also bought the Adventure Pack accessory:

Grand Tourismo

:Banana Dance
This had me smiling right away Webbah, I can't imagine how you use that brush attachment in the shower!!!

But what a cool idea! - it depends on the temperature of your cold water but the 7/2 ratio seems about right...just be careful where you point that high pressure jet!

Webbah

:Banana Dance
This had me smiling right away Webbah, I can't imagine how you use that brush attachment in the shower!!!

But what a cool idea! - it depends on the temperature of your cold water but the 7/2 ratio seems about right...just be careful where you point that high pressure jet!
Haha, well that brush will be useful for cleaning the rims/wheels and mountain bikes, etc. Perhaps even the dishes. This unit is more of a "medium" pressure washer. And they sell attachments that change the pressure for pets, etc. So I'm sure I'll figure it out. Just saw it and got creative. I'll be planning many snowboarding trips this winter and sleeping in the van in sub zero weather. Will be nice to have a quick shower with hot water after a long day! I also have the rear hatch shower curtain from Westphalia for privacy.

I should note that in sub zero weather the van water tank will be empty and so will gray water to prevent freezing and damage to the MP internal systems. Having this and some bottled water or access to a sink or something (hell even melt some snow?) will be the solution in the depths of winter.