Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter Wheels and Tyres

Webbah

Hi Webbah
Interesting as im in the process of doing this to my 2018 MP ( No Air)... Ive tried everything, currently on 18'' with 235 x 55 x 17 which look great but... just too close..
So in easy terms what do I require - Twin-Monotube Projekt AT Konkave in Granit fitted with (my choice) General grabber AT2 235 x 55 x17. (My standard ones nt enough offset)
Where can I order and whats the precise wheel sizing - Im trying to get details to the UK distibuter.
Any info great if you had time, Thanks Crispin
Hey man,

I did a quick search and it looks like there should be some distributors in the UK.

I have the 17’s with offset ET40. Can’t help with the General Grabbers, but the BFG’s work well in the 225x65R17 with load rating 103/107. Don’t think the 235x55R17 will work.

With the BFG’s I had to use a heat gun and crow bar to mold the inner wheel well plastic at the rear of the front wheels. Not too difficult but I did it twice before it was perfect. I can now go full lock in turns including with angles and articulation and it doesn’t rub. Super happy with them and glad they are all season so no swapping.

I’d probably sell the Grabbers and switch to the BFG’s in the size mentioned. The offset ET40 will push them out a bit (mine are flush which is great), but I suspect you will not be able to mold the plastic liner enough to turn hard with some articulation. Could be dangerous too!

Hope it helps! Ping me again if any more questions.

C

Crispin

VIP Member
Thanks for response I apreceate it... Ive got 235 x 55x 18 on at present and they look great with the Grabbers*.. however they bump out on the front somewhere, not the plastic cant really see where!! I do prefer BFG AT like you and know them well, but on 65 they are too tall and I will get scrubbing on mine, so im reverting to stock 17'' with the 235x 55x 17 tyre which will work - ( but as a tyre It has to be Grabber *BFG dont make a 235x55x17 sadly). youve got air too .. thats handy.
I did try some 16'' with BFG but they would not fit over front brake calipers which was an expensive trial!
Love that wheel you got, so just want to source them easily in Granite in UK ( white Van) have the Grabbers fitted/tpm sensors pay get delivered and enjoy the offset and strength, as we too load ours up to the top with junk and towing trailer on on un made roads gravel/snow.
Thanks for your feed back its quite a thing this isnt it, to find out whats right for the Vito...Vw .. no prob

Webbah

Thanks for response I apreceate it... Ive got 235 x 55x 18 on at present and they look great with the Grabbers*.. however they bump out on the front somewhere, not the plastic cant really see where!! I do prefer BFG AT like you and know them well, but on 65 they are too tall and I will get scrubbing on mine, so im reverting to stock 17'' with the 235x 55x 17 tyre which will work - ( but as a tyre It has to be Grabber *BFG dont make a 235x55x17 sadly). youve got air too .. thats handy.
I did try some 16'' with BFG but they would not fit over front brake calipers which was an expensive trial!
Love that wheel you got, so just want to source them easily in Granite in UK ( white Van) have the Grabbers fitted/tpm sensors pay get delivered and enjoy the offset and strength, as we too load ours up to the top with junk and towing trailer on on un made roads gravel/snow.
Thanks for your feed back its quite a thing this isnt it, to find out whats right for the Vito...Vw .. no prob
For reference, the sticker on my MP shows 235x55R17 as OEM size too. But the 225x65R17 does work and I found this by researching and finding this on a German site. They also are using stock suspension and NOT air:

Webbah

Where are you finding the General Grabber AT2 in size 235x55R17? I can't seem to find them and it doesn't show up in the sizes available either.

C

Crispin

VIP Member

Mhh ive looked too ,.. I think they have dicontinued which mucks up my wonderful plan! Ive ataced my 235x55x18 Grabbers/MSW lovely but they are touching on big underlations without load on front only... its not the plastic inner guard im sure but sounds like strut! so heavily laden im a worrier...
Back to drawing board? if you are saying that BFG 225x65R17 will work without touching ... great, but if they are close i should stay with what i have i guess? can you see my photo... atached

Webbah

Mhh ive looked too ,.. I think they have dicontinued which mucks up my wonderful plan! Ive ataced my 235x55x18 Grabbers/MSW lovely but they are touching on big underlations without load on front only... its not the plastic inner guard im sure but sounds like strut! so heavily laden im a worrier...
Back to drawing board? if you are saying that BFG 225x65R17 will work without touching ... great, but if they are close i should stay with what i have i guess? can you see my photo... atached
Yeah I also saw your original post. Far too close for my comfort. And as mentioned the BFG’s work but you will need to use a heat gun to mold the rear part of the fender liner in the fronts. Easy to do. Leave the wheels on and go full turn lock, heat up the plastic and then use a crowbar against the tire and liner to push it back while hot. Take your time. It wasn’t too hard to do.

C

Crispin

VIP Member
Hi Webbah... thinking on a little a 30mm lift would sort my problem, havr you any experience or thoughts on that, it would save me spending on another set of wheels/tyres as in principle mine are %99 there??

Webbah

Absolutely what I would do. Koni’s but more like 35mm. I can’t do any after market lift with AirMatic or have it removed so don’t have that option. At least I can lift when needed up to 20 mph.

i really wanted to swap it for the VB Air Suspension with auto leveling and lowering for low garages, etc. But that’s pricey.

C

Crispin

VIP Member
Thanks for all your advice. ill try and find a suitable lift @ 35mm sounds good i will look at Koni.
Have fun in the snow its been interesting to chat to somoene who uses the van in whats its good for... I would love 4 matic but not for UK sadly only left hookers.

C

Crispin

VIP Member
Webbah,... Hi! - drawing a blank here again Konis no/Bilstein/no/original vito Springs.. difficult! So my easy option order exactly what you have tyres/Wheels in graphite - proven OK/no touching/good in snow and presumably a good ride too and youve done it... how can I get a set in UK delivered and how much? if you had a moment.
( the spacer option might have worked at 30mm, but youve got to drop half the engine bay to get the acces to the front struts... ) Cheers Crispin

C

Crispin

VIP Member
Of course to confuse you... I actually am talking 235x55x18 on mine thats why they are so close at present - so looking at your exact set up 235 x 55x 17 on cooper all weather - '' Sorry for confusion!

Last edited:

Webbah

Of course to confuse you... I actually am talking 235x55x18 on mine thats why they are so close at present - so looking at your exact set up 235 x 55x 17 on cooper all weather - '' Sorry for confusion!
I went to their main website (you can choose English) and then searched under "Distributors". There are 2 listed in the UK. Here's the link for the wheels:

For the tires, the Cooper WSC's are great in snow, but they are full winter tires. I wanted the all season BFG AT KO2's and have the Coopers for sale now. I'm in the land of cheese though so a bit far! You can find those tires in the UK for sure in the size mentioned. They are fairly cheap too.

They also have a lift kit for the W447 Mercedes V Class which could work for you! These are based on Eibach and Bilsteins. That way you could lift it 35mm and go with BFG's for sure.

Here's a link to the lift kit:

C

Crispin

VIP Member
Thats great thank you, il do some research and let you know, all the best

Crispin

C

Crispin

VIP Member
https://chillijamvans.co.uk/shop/wh...rinter-man-tge/mercedes-v-class-2wd-lift-kit/

Hi Webbah.. i beleive my cost effective option will be this.. just to lift my current 18'' on 235x55x18''s by 30-35mm £2000.00 incl fitting <
the option of new wheels/tyres would be over £2500 this way I keep current set up... im nervous about trying different tyre set up theres nothing apart from the BFGs that I fancy and worry that 235x65x17 would not work as I have the lower AMG/Sport suspesion on mine - which would make a difference just hope the ride is as sweet.
Thank you for pointing out the UK agent Chiljamvans are very helpful ( Brett)
Ill keep you posted Crispin

Webbah

https://chillijamvans.co.uk/shop/wh...rinter-man-tge/mercedes-v-class-2wd-lift-kit/

Hi Webbah.. i beleive my cost effective option will be this.. just to lift my current 18'' on 235x55x18''s by 30-35mm £2000.00 incl fitting <
the option of new wheels/tyres would be over £2500 this way I keep current set up... im nervous about trying different tyre set up theres nothing apart from the BFGs that I fancy and worry that 235x65x17 would not work as I have the lower AMG/Sport suspesion on mine - which would make a difference just hope the ride is as sweet.
Thank you for pointing out the UK agent Chiljamvans are very helpful ( Brett)
Ill keep you posted Crispin
Happy to help! But again, the only BFG’s that work are the 225/65R17. Not 235. ;-)

I’ll try and post some updated photos of my setup. I also have the AMG with all sport options. The only difference is that I have AirMatic so I can lift 35mm at low speed. Standard ride height is identical to yours.

C

Crispin

VIP Member
**still bigger than mu current set up on this calculator ?I
You understand my worry as my current 18''ones you have seen picture of?
1645642283070.png