Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tiny blisters on roof

David Cox

The whole warranty process takes a lot of time unfortunately and it seems that a lot of dealers aren't used to processing Marco Polo specific areas, i.e. the roof. Also they can be ignorant of fibre glass panels and any associated paint issues. I guess this is all understandable, however.... It really isn't efficient service in my opinion. What they could (should?) have done is process all the groundwork and paperwork necessary before taking your vehicle in. My resolution took many months but initially I took it in and they took details and photographs of the affected areas. The warranty process was drawn out but maybe irrelevant given the unavailability of new roofs. When the roof finally came in it was boxed and sent to their bodyshop for painting and only when it returned to the dealer the booking made to bring my vehicle in for fitting.
My suggestion is that you arrange to recover your vehicle (check that they have all the evidence that they need in terms of pictures, chassis numbers etc) and then ask them to ring you when they have a (painted) roof in their workshops and can book you in for fitting. Relax, be patient, you will still have use of your MP and it will get sorted (eventually!!)
Thanks for the reply Steve. I did initially take the vehicle in at the end of Feb, where they had it for two days. It went back in at the start of July because the new roof had arrived, hence my frustration at them telling me they are still talking to MB. I love the vehicle, but I've lost a lot of confidence in this dealership and the brand sadly.

SteveR

Thanks for the reply Steve. I did initially take the vehicle in at the end of Feb, where they had it for two days. It went back in at the start of July because the new roof had arrived, hence my frustration at them telling me they are still talking to MB. I love the vehicle, but I've lost a lot of confidence in this dealership and the brand sadly.
I also had last minute warranty issues that should have been sorted in the previous months. The dealer mentioned something about Westfalia if I recall. But the bottom line is let them to and fro with Germany; get the roof painted (and checked) and only then, call you in. There are some lovely days right now and a little lockdown easing. Make the most of it.
I understand your frustration with your dealership but I wouldn't give up on the brand just yet :)
Good luck and let us know how it goes

askho

I think the problem with delays in warranty claim for the roof depends on the individual dealer. Some are more efficient than others. Also if they have had previous experience they seem to know better what to do. I had no problem with my claim, but I was the third case the dealer had to deal with.
It also seems that since there are so many claims, MB is making it a little more difficult to make a claim.

edzt

I took mine into my local dealer for the bed recall October 19
While I was there I pointed out the roof problem
The service manager didn’t know anything about it but accepted it wasn’t right and would get back to me

In the new year I had a new awning and fridge fitted, they severed the led strip light supply and fitted the blinds cassette backwards but that’s another story

My warranty expired half way through lockdown and I renewed it

A few weeks ago I called into the dealership and inquired where we were up to with the roof

You warranty has expired they replied , but I’ve extended it. Ah but the new warranty doesn’t cover it and we’ve no record of your complaint
But it was you I spoke to, we both stood in the rain looking at the bubbles in the paint. You told me you’d research it and get back to me

Prove it was the reply!!

So, yes I should have chased more and yes I’m too trusting but I’m utterly disgusted with the whole business

As soon as I’ve sorted it (litigation) and got the blinds refitted I’m selling

Last edited:

David Cox

The service manager didn’t know anything about it but accepted it wasn’t right and would get back to me

In the new year I had a new awning and fridge fitted, they severed the led strip light supply and fitted the blinds cassette backwards but that’s another story

A few weeks ago I called into the dealership and inquired where we were up to with the roof

You warranty has expired they replied , but I’ve extended it. Ah but the new warranty doesn’t cover it and we’ve no record of your complaint
But it was you I spoke to, we both stood in the rain looking at the bubbles in the paint. You told me you’d research it and get back to me

Prove it was the reply!!

So, yes I should have chased more and yes I’m too trusting but I’m utterly disgusted with the whole business

Thats just awful, what terrible service, but I must say I’m not shocked. My experience so far is that there seems to be a total lack of awareness about the vehicle with the dealerships, and as for training, pitiful. I feel for you, Owning a Marco Polo should be an enjoyable experience, it“s let down by a by a dealership network that is totally unprepared to support them.

WILLH

The correct way for MB to deal with this should be to approve the claim,obtain and paint the new roof,and then get the customers car in for replacement.The service manager at the respective dealerships should make sure this happens-saves them having loan cars out for weeks on end too.Theres no way I would send mine in during camping season either-I’d schedule the work for the winter months.

Steve B

My roof arrived in early March but I postponed the fix until the end of this year. Dealer was taken aback but I was intending to use the MP in the spring/summer (current situation scuppered that though), I should have given them it as we didn't use it but then we didn't know lockdown was imminent.

Epigram

Prove it was the reply!!

Which dealership was it so that they can be avoided ?

Having just pushased another Mercedes vehicle after a lot of looking around that started before lockdown, I am concluding that there is a tremendous variation in dealerships.

edzt

Which dealership was it so that they can be avoided ?

Having just pushased another Mercedes vehicle after a lot of looking around that started before lockdown, I am concluding that there is a tremendous variation in dealerships.

My nearest dealer is Blackpool, part of the Marshalls group. They are giving me the runaround re roof. To be fair, they did a good job on the bed frame and replacement awning
The dealership I would avoid is Stockport. I took my fridge problems to them because the previous owner had already started the process
Every time I've been there they have damaged or incorrectly refitted a part.

The other thing I've learned is that a dealer will not correct another dealers mistakes!

Kiwi Ange

Gutted. Only just got our MP and looks like we've joined the blister club. Will start dealing with it after our first trip away in two weeks time. Along with the blisters noticed that the roof seems to have lots of tiny black dots, like sand granules almost. Making the roof very rough. You can just see them in the photos. Also, when washing the roof, noticed the end of the roof rail was loose. Checked it and it just came off. Doesn't seem to secure back in.

Attachments

• IMG_7074.JPG
    IMG_7074.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7072.JPG
    IMG_7072.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7071.JPG
    IMG_7071.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7070.JPG
    IMG_7070.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7069.JPG
    IMG_7069.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7067.JPG
    IMG_7067.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 40

Steve B

Looks pretty standard for the blistered roof, as you say - join the club. It doesn't worry me particularly, mine will be sorted at the end of the year but if I had to I could live with it as is. Would like to have been a fly on the wall when the Westfalia sales or quality control senior person was in the meeting with MB discussing this and the many issues being raised at the dealers!

Kiwi Ange

Looks pretty standard for the blistered roof, as you say - join the club. It doesn't worry me particularly, mine will be sorted at the end of the year but if I had to I could live with it as is. Would like to have been a fly on the wall when the Westfalia sales or quality control senior person was in the meeting with MB discussing this and the many issues being raised at the dealers!
Yes, of course it will get sorted. Just hope it gets sorted without causing another issue or damage, or without reoccuring as others seem to have experienced. We also have an issue with the trim beside the cooker hob and the trim on the roof rails. Just feeling a bit deflated having finally got ourselves an MP, only to have bits to sort before we even get to use it.

Carol

Yep .You certainly joined the club. Keep onto it as my 1st replacement got the same problems with two large bumps in the middle. Eventually got that replaced last year, took from March to December to get it sorted. So you may need to persevere

Kiwi Ange

Yep .You certainly joined the club. Keep onto it as my 1st replacement got the same problems with two large bumps in the middle. Eventually got that replaced last year, took from March to December to get it sorted. So you may need to persevere
Eeek! Raaaah!!

The fat controller

Thanks for sharing all this... Doesn't make pretty reading but at least I feel armed with some knowledge when the (seemingly) inevitable happens to my lovely new pride & joy.

Has anyone avoided this fate at all I wonder?!

jaffa

Our Otto has joined the club - new roof now on order. Only noticed the issue thanks to this thread. Cheers all!

Follow my customisations to my Horizon here:

RobRam

Spoke with MB today, they have taken photos ,reg details ,mileage etc ,they told me they will forward to Germany for a warranty claim. The guy told me it should be dealt with under warranty, I told him it must be , as they are called micro blisters and it is due to poor preparation of the fibreglass roof.
I looked on Lotus owners club site ,apparently they had a problem as some parts got stored outside before spraying
We have a 2004 MP Viano, had it from new and have micro blisters, never really got any worse but annoying all the same

Epigram

Hmm !16 years!
Could that be classified as MB selling with a known fault..........?
I don’t remember being told about this by the dealer when I placed my order!

RFT

My replacement roof is now blistering and technician coming out next week to view and place a claim. I understand that every replacement roof carries a 2 year warranty. Must be costing Westfalia a fortune. Never seen this on a GRP boat.