Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tiny blisters on roof

Kiwi Ange

My replacement roof is now blistering and technician coming out next week to view and place a claim. I understand that every replacement roof carries a 2 year warranty. Must be costing Westfalia a fortune. Never seen this on a GRP boat.
Oh no!! Can I ask, where did you get your roof replaced and how did you find it (other than now blistering again!)? Did it still work okay and no leaks or damage in the replacement of it...? And they send out a technician to you...?

RFT

Local MB dealer body shop. They have to inspect and confirm that the blisters exist before they can place a claim with MB Germany. No problems with fit of replacement roof. Bodyshop say that it's not their first example of a second replacement roof.

Carol

My replacement roof is now blistering and technician coming out next week to view and place a claim. I understand that every replacement roof carries a 2 year warranty. Must be costing Westfalia a fortune. Never seen this on a GRP boat.
My replacement roof had a large bump and dip , noticed the day after getting back with new roof . Did not notice immediately as was very little light , took another 9 months to get a new roof , that was last December, in view of what’s on forum l will have to check it carefully every time l wash vehicle, the first micro blisters developed after a frost ,

The fat controller

So it looks like the replacements are largely suffering from the same issues as the original defective roofs based on what people here are saying.

Does anyone know whether MB are planning to actually address the issue at some stage? I'm especially interested having just placed an order as I can envisage some lengthy delays if they are going to change the manufacturing process!

SteveR

.... I'm especially interested having just placed an order as I can envisage some lengthy delays if they are going to change the manufacturing process!...
I doubt whether you will see any additional delay. The roof issue has been around for some years now and MB / Westfalia are still building / delivering.
Try not to worry about them. *If* you get blistering (I don't believe it affects every vehicle) then it is not structural, does not stop the roof working, does not cause any leak and it is covered by warranty

The fat controller

I doubt whether you will see any additional delay. The roof issue has been around for some years now and MB / Westfalia are still building / delivering.
Try not to worry about them. *If* you get blistering (I don't believe it affects every vehicle) then it is not structural, does not stop the roof working, does not cause any leak and it is covered by warranty
Thanks Steve.

Yeah I'm not too bothered about it as an issue in itself, although it must be frustrating to be without your vehicle while the work goes on. I guess it'd just be nice to see it resolved.

Looking at June delivery already so pretty keen not to have that slip as you can imagine!

Gazthediver

Thanks Steve.

Yeah I'm not too bothered about it as an issue in itself, although it must be frustrating to be without your vehicle while the work goes on. I guess it'd just be nice to see it resolved.

Looking at June delivery already so pretty keen not to have that slip as you can imagine!
As from mid July the part number changed for the replacement roofs so fingers crossed they have it in hand now

Has anyone had a roof replaced due to this issue ?
I am interested to know how much the total cost of the replacement is to Merc if one of you fine members could let me know ?

Carol

I ‘ve had 2 new roofs , and the first took over 2 weeks , the second 4 days , so l don’t think it’s cheap, l guess they claim from Westfalia

Steve B

Based on the info on here that 2nd roofs are also blistering I've cancelled my replacement for now. I still have warranty left so I am going to wait to the last moment (already agreed this with the dealer). Want to see if new vehicles are still getting the blisters

SteveR

Based on the info on here that 2nd roofs are also blistering I've cancelled my replacement for now. I still have warranty left so I am going to wait to the last moment (already agreed this with the dealer). Want to see if new vehicles are still getting the blisters
Probably not a bad shout Steve. Given that the issue has been around for at least a couple of years now I'm not hugely confident

Carol

My second roof replacement last December is looking good , must say the finish is better than the original was when l purchased my M P

Steve B

My second roof replacement last December is looking good , must say the finish is better than the original was when l purchased my M P
I hope they have got the problem sorted, i'm working on three years for everything.

PeeGee

An earlier reply said it is 2 years for the roof. I’m not sure where that information came from. Mine is in for a replacement roof next week in Southampton. I know they are doing another one this week so they should be in practice. Fingers crossed.

RFT

2 years warranty on roof was advised to me by a MB bodyshop supervisor looking at my roof for its second replacement.

Steve B

All MB literature states 3 years warranty so was going on that, and the dealer didn't disagree. Not sure if its still valid but there was a 30 year corrosion warranty that go a lot of negative press due to the hurdles put in the way of actually using it.

I took mine into my local dealer for the bed recall October 19
While I was there I pointed out the roof problem
The service manager didn’t know anything about it but accepted it wasn’t right and would get back to me

In the new year I had a new awning and fridge fitted, they severed the led strip light supply and fitted the blinds cassette backwards but that’s another story

My warranty expired half way through lockdown and I renewed it

A few weeks ago I called into the dealership and inquired where we were up to with the roof

You warranty has expired they replied , but I’ve extended it. Ah but the new warranty doesn’t cover it and we’ve no record of your complaint
But it was you I spoke to, we both stood in the rain looking at the bubbles in the paint. You told me you’d research it and get back to me

Prove it was the reply!!

So, yes I should have chased more and yes I’m too trusting but I’m utterly disgusted with the whole business

As soon as I’ve sorted it (litigation) and got the blinds refitted I’m selling
Which dealership was that ?

I would be willing to come to a settlement with MB and put up with this problem (payable 1 day after warranty expiry) it must be a 15-20k job to complete inc admin/survey/materials/labour/loan car/transport of roof etc. I would accept 10k and live with it, who should I write to with this proposal ? Any ideas/comments and I will let you know how I go on

Carol

It’s a pity you will sell , l think MB service / customer relations is very poor , my wife has a Honda and there customer service relations is exceptional, l purchased new tyres on line and the Honda garage fitted them at time of a service for only £10 each , saved a packet . With the MB once out of warranty take to a non franchise for servicing etc