Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tiny blisters on roof

ClaireDe

As Carol has pointed out in her profile post, we have discovered tiny blisters on the roof of our MP. Has anyone else got the same? Anyone been to MB about it?
We will talk to MB and let you know what they say. FYI our MP is 2018 model.
Thanks ClaireDe

Carol

Spoke with MB today, they have taken photos ,reg details ,mileage etc ,they told me they will forward to Germany for a warranty claim. The guy told me it should be dealt with under warranty, I told him it must be , as they are called micro blisters and it is due to poor preparation of the fibreglass roof.
I looked on Lotus owners club site ,apparently they had a problem as some parts got stored outside before spraying

ClaireDe

Thanks Carol. I'll get in touch with our local MB and let you know what they say as well. Not what we need on our lovely vans!

mptripsaway

Our MP also has this issue, it is booked in for investigation next week and I will let you know the outcome. There is also a thread on the MP FB group with helpful information.

Ridgeway

Really bizarre! I washed my Marco Polo today and noticed a similar thing for the first time on my roof.
There’s a couple of dozen or so “pimples” on the roof paintwork all across it.
If they had been uniformly spread I would have thought they were meant to be there. However, they weren’t there when I last washed it approx 2 months ago!
The paintwork isn’t broken on any of the pimples and I’m thinking of leaving it for now as don’t want to be without the ‘van for ages as spring approaches.
My vehicle is kept in a garage, has only done 5,000 miles and I only use quality (Autoglym) car shampoo on it.
Braysway; I would be really interested to hear what your dealer advises you as I’m not on Facebook.
Many thanks

GoldStar

As Carol has pointed out in her profile post, we have discovered tiny blisters on the roof of our MP. Has anyone else got the same? Anyone been to MB about it?
We will talk to MB and let you know what they say. FYI our MP is 2018 model.
Thanks ClaireDe

We have some tiny blisters on the roof too. I hadn't noticed them before but thought I'd check after reading the earlier post. Thank you very much for pointing the problem out.

ClaireDe

Hi all
Thanks for all your responses. I see under Carol's profile posts that it will take 7-10 days to fix. Like Ridgeway says, we also don't want to be without our van as we go into spring and the nicer weather, but I want to make sure it is fixed before any further problems.

I'm not on Facebook so please let me know if there is anything on MP chat which is useful to know.

Carol - are MB doing it all or will they send the van to Westfalia to fix? Are they replacing the roof or respraying?
Thanks
ClaireDe

Ive Just washed my van today and I can confirm I too have these blisters on the roof which is a shame as I've only had the van a few weeks and don't really want be without it for too long

Roy C

I washed my car today and took the opportunity to check the roof and I also have a number of microblisters on the paintwork. For those not on the facebook group it seems the process is take it to your dealer, they take photos and confirm it is not as a result of some alteration to the paint and then submit a warranty claim to Germany. This takes a couple of weeks to confirm and then the fix is apparently to order a replacement roof to be fitted.

I will be taking mine in to my dealer once I get back from a few days away in North Norfolk.

mptripsaway

Braysway; I would be really interested to hear what your dealer advises you as I’m not on Facebook.
Many thanks[/QUOTE]
Hi Ridgeway,
It was pretty much as Roy C explained in his post above, the body shop manager took photos which will be submitted to MB along with a technical report for a decision on next steps, should hear more in a couple of weeks.

LadyEdiSpencer

I first noticed this early December, took it back to the dealer and I’m still waiting for ‘Germany’ to agree to replace the roof. A few days ago I was asked to cut into a few of the blisters and send photos - each blister contained a liquid. Today I have now been asked to take more pictures - vehicle, mileage, chassis number, blisters from more than one location. Getting really frustrated - this is a 6 month old vehicle. Just fix it!

Attachments

• BC60529D-EF1A-4FFB-B1C7-D78E75A5D88F.jpeg
    BC60529D-EF1A-4FFB-B1C7-D78E75A5D88F.jpeg
    547 KB · Views: 191

Paul Merritt

We had different problems and rejected our MP back to Mercedes after 10 months and are expecting the replacement in the next couple of weeks.
You have the right to reject up to 6 months by taking your key back and a letter stating why you have rejected the vehicle this may a good tactic to speed things up, 6-12 months is a little bit trickier as we found out, but still can be done, we managed to get a good compromise after 13 months. The problem you have seems to be quite common, so I don't see why there is so much delay in the decision making process.

rovimor

rovimor

VIP Member
Yep - we have got a number of small blisters as well. Full credit to Sandown Poole - a quick check of the roof by one of the service guys and they have agreed to replace the roof. All in 5 minutes with no hassle, no photographs and if there is warranty claim paperwork then they will sort it all out. They need the van for one week and they need 3 weeks notice of when we want the work done - they are quite happy to work round us and when we want to use the van. The service guy did say they had seen this a couple of time already so I think they are now familiar with the problem.

Roy C

I took my car into the dealer today and they said they will send a report to Mercedes-Benz. I'm not sure they had much of a clue though - the service manager I saw didn't really understand what I was telling him and referred to dents, ripples until I actually pointed out a couple to him but only after I saw him when picking up my van. I hope the technicians spotted them properly. I'll wait for feedback from MB via the dealer.

Steve B

I wonder if this is a batch of roofs that are an issue or an inherent problem with the roof? I need to check mine properly when its next dry enough