Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tiny blisters on roof

GeorgeG

After reading a few posts here and on FB I suspect July/August...I guess you might find out this week or by early next week, please let us know the estimated date
Hi GT,

Just called Mercedes Poole for update on my warranty claim for replacement of replacement roof which was inspected on 21st April. They had nothing to report and said it could take some time for a decision - I’ve no idea why it should take so long to look at a photo of a roof.
When asked for their opinion on likely response from MB I was met with a definite case of “no comment”.

I expressed frustration at events in view of my warranty expiring in June and any difficulties I could subsequently have if MB decline the claim after my warranty has expired. Their response was that whether they refuse the claim before or after the expiry date is of no consequence because it just means they won’t be paying for it anyway.

I wait with baited breath, especially as I may have no choice but to reluctantly sell my MP in the near future because of health issues. In every other regard it is a low mileage vehicle in excellent condition and the roof issue could prevent me making any move to sell for 3 or 4 months, by which time we’ll be into Autumn/Winter - not an ideal time to sell if that’s what transpires.

Grand Tourismo

Hi GT,

Just called Mercedes Poole for update on my warranty claim for replacement of replacement roof which was inspected on 21st April. They had nothing to report and said it could take some time for a decision - I’ve no idea why it should take so long to look at a photo of a roof.
When asked for their opinion on likely response from MB I was met with a definite case of “no comment”.

I expressed frustration at events in view of my warranty expiring in June and any difficulties I could subsequently have if MB decline the claim after my warranty has expired. Their response was that whether they refuse the claim before or after the expiry date is of no consequence because it just means they won’t be paying for it anyway.

I wait with baited breath, especially as I may have no choice but to reluctantly sell my MP in the near future because of health issues. In every other regard it is a low mileage vehicle in excellent condition and the roof issue could prevent me making any move to sell for 3 or 4 months, by which time we’ll be into Autumn/Winter - not an ideal time to sell if that’s what transpires.
Hi George, and thanks for the update.
I am sorry to hear of your health issues, I do hope you generally feel well and just need to change vehicle.

When MB Poole ring you to confirm the replacement of your roof you could ask them:
- if this confirmatory promise (MBUK authorisation) now runs until after your warranty period expires, as after all, they are unlikely to have the replacement roof in until after the June deadline.
- if this confirmation is logged against the vehicle or the person (you)? if it is the vehicle (which I suspect it is) then confirm what the position would be for a new owner as you may choose to sell the vehicle and pass the warranty claim forward.
- if it is OK to pass the vehicle forward (and the suspended warranty claim forward) does the new owner need to enact the warranty authorisation at MB Poole or is the warranty authorisation logged against your vehicle for action nationally.

If all goes to plan ask MB Poole to drop you an email confirming your questions and answers so that you can pass this on to the new owner, if they should so wish to pursue...although many people will be just happy to have your MP!... they are only tiny imperfections in what is an ultra impressive vehicle after all!!

Good luck with it all and keep us posted...in the meantime I hope you can get out and put a few miles on the van to enjoy this fine weather...!!

GeorgeG

Hi George, and thanks for the update.
I am sorry to hear of your health issues, I do hope you generally feel well and just need to change vehicle.

When MB Poole ring you to confirm the replacement of your roof you could ask them:
- if this confirmatory promise (MBUK authorisation) now runs until after your warranty period expires, as after all, they are unlikely to have the replacement roof in until after the June deadline.
- if this confirmation is logged against the vehicle or the person (you)? if it is the vehicle (which I suspect it is) then confirm what the position would be for a new owner as you may choose to sell the vehicle and pass the warranty claim forward.
- if it is OK to pass the vehicle forward (and the suspended warranty claim forward) does the new owner need to enact the warranty authorisation at MB Poole or is the warranty authorisation logged against your vehicle for action nationally.

If all goes to plan ask MB Poole to drop you an email confirming your questions and answers so that you can pass this on to the new owner, if they should so wish to pursue...although many people will be just happy to have your MP!... they are only tiny imperfections in what is an ultra impressive vehicle after all!!

Good luck with it all and keep us posted...in the meantime I hope you can get out and put a few miles on the van to enjoy this fine weather...!!
Many thanks for your quick response GT.

MB Poole confirmed, when they inspected the roof, that as the fault has been logged it does not matter if the replacement roof arrives (if approved of course) after the warranty expires.

We went away on Tuesday for a couple of nights and I only managed one night - the bed and toilet(lack of) arrangements were not conducive to ameliorating my health issues. Our old Westfalia Columbus may well have been the answer!

Funnily enough, the first camper to arrive after us at our small campsite on the River Severn was a Westfalia Columbus. As you hardly see any in the UK I had a long chat with the owner - he was surfing the Severn Bore. He said he’d had a few problems with the Westfalia conversion and wouldn’t be buying another Westfalia any time soon!

BurnBabyBurn

It was more a reference to the fact that today's models have DAB, so somehow the amazing technicians at MB solved that world beating problem of a fibreglass roof stopping it being fitted. I intend to upgrade the comand to CarPlay so will get it through that.
I'm also looking to upgrade to carplay, let me know how you get on, I've got Comand Online - I've seen a few solutions but haven't settled on one yet

J

Jarmany

VIP Member
Sorry Paul Mc not replied to your post. Yes I have completed the questionnaire as requested, although still awaiting delivery of replacement roof. MB Guildford said it may take until Mid May until this happens. We shall wait and see.
BTW. Does the replacement roof come with all the fabric fitted or is this part of the refitting process? Just worried about water leaks/sealing issues?

Roy C

I initially reported blisters on my roof but they were tiny and the MB dealership said they couldn’t really see them. I decided to leave it for a bit to see if things got worse because they were hardly noticeable. I then moved house about 18 months ago and instead of being on my drive the MP was always put into a garage and with lockdown I‘ve only used it for a couple of long weekend trips away, the occasional outing where we pick up some furniture or even to deliberately take it out for a run after a couple of weeks idle. I washed my MP last weekend and I decided to have a good look at the roof and I just cannot see any blisters.

My point is that with some people reporting the blisters being obvious after a frost that, as well as that making it easier to see them, is it the exposure to the elements that is actually making it worse (frozen moisture expanding under the blister expanding them?). If anyone has the blisters and has the option of keeping their MP in a garage then my experience seems to be that you can reverse the blistering if it’s not too far gone. I know the MP is a big old beast for most garages and it can be a faff putting your van away but it’s worth considering.

It’s either that or my eyesite is shot after a year of watching Netflix!

Steve B

I'm also looking to upgrade to carplay, let me know how you get on, I've got Comand Online - I've seen a few solutions but haven't settled on one yet
I haven't done this yet, I've got carplay in my other vehicle and its great. Also, the sat nav in the MP is OK but had issues with it on Sunday, trying to take us up a no entry as it needs an update (not sure what that costs). This isn't an issue with google maps on carplay as its up to date.

funkyegg

Hi all, my MP had its roof replaced about a year ago and now the blisters returned. I have reported to my local dealer Mercedes Epsom and it is currently being processed.

They have just called me asking me for serial numbers of the roof. They said there should be one under the Westfalia badge and another one under the rubber seal somewhere. Does anyone know where these serial numbers are exactly located as I don't want them to peel off all the rubber seal to find it.

Thanks,

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

GeorgeG

Hi all, my MP had its roof replaced about a year ago and now the blisters returned. I have reported to my local dealer Mercedes Epsom and it is currently being processed.

They have just called me asking me for serial numbers of the roof. They said there should be one under the Westfalia badge and another one under the rubber seal somewhere. Does anyone know where these serial numbers are exactly located as I don't want them to peel off all the rubber seal to find it.

Thanks,

My dealer got back to me, after they inspected my second blistered roof, to ask for a photo of the Westfalia chassis plate which is on the driver’s side ‘C’ pillar. This was apparently all that Mercedes HQ required to process the claim.

funkyegg

My dealer got back to me, after they inspected my second blistered roof, to ask for a photo of the Westfalia chassis plate which is on the driver’s side ‘C’ pillar. This was apparently all that Mercedes HQ required to process the claim.
That would be much easier, but my dealer insisted that they want the serial number on the roof and would be helpful if I know where that is....

Grand Tourismo

That would be much easier, but my dealer insisted that they want the serial number on the roof and would be helpful if I know where that is....

I don't know for sure....but if you are stuck for a place to start I have a distant memory of the serial number being under the rubber front left (nearside front)...but as I understand it not all roofs have a serial number, they are a later addition.

Carol

Thanks,

Supposed to be on underside of front rubber on left side , but they couldn’t find it there on mine , l am informed l will get a new roof , but insisted l wanted a roof that’s not going to blister again as it will be out of warranty , The man in charge of bodyshop is keeping me posted , MB were trying to blame the paint sprayers at first , but l think this is changing , also been informed later roofs have cured the problem , we have to wait and see

funkyegg

Supposed to be on underside of front rubber on left side , but they couldn’t find it there on mine , l am informed l will get a new roof , but insisted l wanted a roof that’s not going to blister again as it will be out of warranty , The man in charge of bodyshop is keeping me posted , MB were trying to blame the paint sprayers at first , but l think this is changing , also been informed later roofs have cured the problem , we have to wait and see
Thanks Carol. This is going to be my 2nd roof replacement and my MP is already out of warranty but the roof should still be covered as it was only replaced a little more than a year ago.

RFT

Mine was hidden by the rubber bumper on the front offside (right) corner.

GeorgeG

Just heard from my dealer, who previously asked for photo of Westfalia chassis plate, that they now also want the serial number on the roof. I’ll report back if I find it on my MP.

GeorgeG

I looked under the rubber seal on both sides of the roof at the front and couldn’t see a serial number. Of course, I then had to make a 70 mile round trip to convince the dealer there was no serial number!

The service guy showed me a photo of a roof serial number they had found on another MP in for a replacement roof. Unfortunately, they only found it after they had removed the roof - it was hidden under a metal strip. They at least acknowledged that it was clearly unreasonable to remove the roof to find the serial number and to then have the warranty claim rejected by Mercedes.

It could be 2 weeks before I hear anything. The whole situation is pretty chaotic considering they have known about the blister issue for at least 2 years.

funkyegg

I looked under the rubber seal on both sides of the roof at the front and couldn’t see a serial number. Of course, I then had to make a 70 mile round trip to convince the dealer there was no serial number!

The service guy showed me a photo of a roof serial number they had found on another MP in for a replacement roof. Unfortunately, they only found it after they had removed the roof - it was hidden under a metal strip. They at least acknowledged that it was clearly unreasonable to remove the roof to find the serial number and to then have the warranty claim rejected by Mercedes.

It could be 2 weeks before I hear anything. The whole situation is pretty chaotic considering they have known about the blister issue for at least 2 years.
What's the reason Mercedes rejected the warranty claim?

GeorgeG

What's the reason Mercedes rejected the warranty claim?

Sorry, I didn’t explain that very well. Mercedes have not rejected the warranty claim. The dealer expects them to process the claim with the information they have as it would be ridiculous for Mercedes to insist on the roof being removed to look for a serial number that probably doesn’t exist - it is nearly 2 years since the existing replacement roof was fitted and it probably never had a serial number.

funkyegg

Sorry, I didn’t explain that very well. Mercedes have not rejected the warranty claim. The dealer expects them to process the claim with the information they have as it would be ridiculous for Mercedes to insist on the roof being removed to look for a serial number that probably doesn’t exist - it is nearly 2 years since the existing replacement roof was fitted and it probably never had a serial number.
I see, thanks. I plan to bring my MP this week so will see if there is a serial number