Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sat nav update

Robin Cattermole

Hi, I have the basic sat nav in my Marco Polo. Took it in for its mot last week and the dealer wanted £220 to update the sim. Was expecting updates to be included free of charge whilst under warranty like my Audi car and wife’s Volvo. Have you faced the same problem ? Not really a problem as it is probably the slowest sat nav installed in a modern car and google maps on the phone works so much better but a bit disappointed that basic updates dont seem to be included.

Epigram

A bit steep for a data. update.

After a year I am still waiting to get the speech synthesiser on my Satnav sorted: It occasionally misses part of the distance advance instructions so that “In half a mile prepare to turn left” becomes “Turn Left!”

I choose to ignore the instruction rather than make sudden manoeuvres but it makes the satnav useless when needed most because it encourages you to take wrong turns.

I certainly wouldn’t pay for a data update in its present state.

Reactions: KDM
jimbo73

jimbo73

VIP Member
when I had my e-class, they used to update it with every service I had with them - im surprised you're being asked to pay.

Steve B

My 2015 audi was something similar in price as it was a physical upgrade on an old sat nav system (I didn't bother upgrading it). My new audi sat nav is online and updates automatically from the web, so just a difference in technology. Some of the tec in the MP is a bit behind the car models

Reactions: KDM
jimbo73

jimbo73

VIP Member
yes indeed - which is surprising as its on the v-class chassis!

GeorgeG

I asked about sat nav update when I booked my MP for its first (2 year) service and they advised it would be updated as part of the service. I think it may be free until the 3 year warranty expires. I forgot to ask.

Epigram

Mine’s going in next week to get the missing instructions problem fixed in the satnav (see above). I am not optimistic for a solution. I will ask about map updates when I am there.

Epigram

Hi, I have the basic sat nav in my Marco Polo. Took it in for its mot last week and the dealer wanted £220 to update the sim. Was expecting updates to be included free of charge whilst under warranty like my Audi car and wife’s Volvo. Have you faced the same problem ? Not really a problem as it is probably the slowest sat nav installed in a modern car and google maps on the phone works so much better but a bit disappointed that basic updates dont seem to be included.
I have just collected my MP from Mercedes and asked about satnav updates. I was told they are roughly every year and are free while under under warranty.
The satnav speech instruction problem (referred to in post 2 above and in a separate post) is still not fixed despite having the vehicle for eleven days and replacing just about everything. The irritation is that fault was immediately apparent as soon as I set a destination in the satnav. I didn’t even have to leave the car park !
Whatever happened to quality control ? I am glad they don‘t service aircraft !

If any of you have evperienced a similar fault with the satnav missing parts of instructions (as opposed to getting lost or taking daft routes) please could you post. MB don’t have a clue how to repair and are escalating the fault to Germany - something they were asked to do last December.

WILLH

If it’s the SD card based nav (not COMAND) then 2020 ones can be purchased on eBay from around £22

Epigram

If it’s the SD card based nav (not COMAND) then 2020 ones can be purchased on eBay from around £22
It’s a COMMAND. I was told by MB that they updated all software including the maps. They have also replaced a GPS antenna and some other modules including a control unit which they said cost about £2.5K - not the sort of scatter-gun approach to repair you want if the vehicle were out of warranty ....especially when it still doesn’t work.