Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop up roof

Paul@lincs

I had my Marco Polo van 1 week and on lowering the roof the fabric got caught in the mechanism and has damaged to canvas.
i have returned to Mercedes who have said its not covered by warranty as its my own Fault.
apparently it tells you in the 400 page manual to ensure a window is open or a door when lowering the roof to ensure a vacuum is not created which can push the fabric towards the mechanism.
This does make sense when explained. But it should be an automatic procedure in the software or a warning should come up on the display.
The reason for posting is to hopefully warn others not to make the same mistake i made. Unfortunately we always look at forums after the problem.

Grand Tourismo

I had my Marco Polo van 1 week and on lowering the roof the fabric got caught in the mechanism and has damaged to canvas.
i have returned to Mercedes who have said its not covered by warranty as its my own Fault.
apparently it tells you in the 400 page manual to ensure a window is open or a door when lowering the roof to ensure a vacuum is not created which can push the fabric towards the mechanism.
This does make sense when explained. But it should be an automatic procedure in the software or a warning should come up on the display.
The reason for posting is to hopefully warn others not to make the same mistake i made. Unfortunately we always look at forums after the problem.
Hi Paul, welcome along to the forum :Welcome: and sorry to hear of your issue with the pop-top fabric. Can I ask what year model you have?

I have a 2017 MP and the control console will not allow you to open/close the roof without first dropping the drivers window, I assume from your post that your system in fact does allow this to happen?
Can I ask, did the supplying dealer give you a vehicle handover where they explained this risk and other features of the MP?

SteveR

Hello and welcome Paul

GT is correct above. When I hit the roof button it also stops after a few seconds with the window icon so effectively you have to press the button twice to operate the roof

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
The manual is about 90 pages not 400 and it clearly states to open a window or door before you operate the roof otherwise the bellows could be damaged.

It goes on the mention it a further three times plus when actually doing the operation the window symbol flashes in the display.

Unfortunately for you I'd say MB were right to say it was your fault.

Marc o Polo

Hi, Paul,

Welcome to the forum! Sorry this has happened to put a damper on things. Reading the manual is definitely worth doing, I have learned so much. The car is packed with technology and you really benefit from reading the manual for all the tips and methods of doing things. But have to add, this is not always the case - it's not always an easy read.

GT asks some relevant (very helpful) questions, I think I know where he's going with this.

Tee

Firstly, so sorry to hear this, especially 1 week in. You can probably reapir/patch it If needed. We read and followed all the rules and are paranoid at raising and lowering and yet still have a few scuffs on the fabric. This is despite windows open, drivers door open, 2 stage drop, tucking in all round during the pause and the occasional pleat and pull in. It gets a bit of memory in the pleats after a while.

it is a fantastic canvas in terms of layers and rods so it should be tough long term

secondly, it’s a hell of a manual. I really recommend the MB Guides on the iPad…. And sitting in the van for hours with a coffee and radio and iPad and controls. There is so much onboard and most knowledge sits on this forum and unfortunately many dealers don’t know enough about the van to get close to explaining it or briefing on handover. MB need to provide a checklist for the dealers to run through the big stuff with new owners.

thirdly, just enjoy the van, it’s great

Steve B

Welcome Paul and sorry to hear of the issue. I'm still very careful when using the roof, and do the walk around when the roof stops about 3/4 of the way down. My biggest worry is I run out of power and have to lower manually, not had this yet (fingers crossed). Don't let it put you off, there is a lot to get to grips with, this forum has plenty of great advice as most issues have happened to someone at one point.

Webbah

I have a different issue with my pop up roof. It's squeaking from the front area when driving on rougher roads or in the mountain twisties. I had it in service already and they attempted to tighten things down. That helped a little bit but it still drives me crazy. I then attempted to clean up the rubber seal and use "GummiPflege Stift" to lubricate them. That seemed to help a little but still squeaking. I then looked at what i could do inside and added some thin felt around the metal bits that contact (the soft side of velcro). That also helped a little but still not quiet. Am I the only one with a squeaky top? Once you hear it you can't unhear it and it's making me insane for such an expensive car. Last resort is I will have service try again by maybe aligning it better?

Steve B

We are sending our back in to the dealers an a couple of weeks time as we get a groan/squeak rom the roof area since we had the roof replaced. Also to have the rear sliding wardrobe door adjusted as it keeps opening and putting the light on. I could fix it but its going in anyway and still in warranty.

Grand Tourismo

I have a different issue with my pop up roof. It's squeaking from the front area when driving on rougher roads or in the mountain twisties. I had it in service already and they attempted to tighten things down. That helped a little bit but it still drives me crazy. I then attempted to clean up the rubber seal and use "GummiPflege Stift" to lubricate them. That seemed to help a little but still squeaking. I then looked at what i could do inside and added some thin felt around the metal bits that contact (the soft side of velcro). That also helped a little but still not quiet. Am I the only one with a squeaky top? Once you hear it you can't unhear it and it's making me insane for such an expensive car. Last resort is I will have service try again by maybe aligning it better?
Mine does this as well but only now and again...which makes me think it is temperature related maybe.

Y'day it was squeaking and groaning like a gud 'un, my wife and I chatted about it. I found that if I put my hand into the folds of the canvas it seemed to stop and then when I removed my hand it would start squeaking again.
I parked up last night. Read this thread this morning and then had to take my car to MB for the door repair....and this morning no squeaks at all. Pretty much the same roads used (certainly local to my house they are).

When I get my MP back I am going to try and fold the bellows more precisely when lowering the lid to see if that helps/cures the problem...but I can say Webbah that you are not alone!

Webbah

Mine does this as well but only now and again...which makes me think it is temperature related maybe.

Y'day it was squeaking and groaning like a gud 'un, my wife and I chatted about it. I found that if I put my hand into the folds of the canvas it seemed to stop and then when I removed my hand it would start squeaking again.
I parked up last night. Read this thread this morning and then had to take my car to MB for the door repair....and this morning no squeaks at all. Pretty much the same roads used (certainly local to my house they are).

When I get my MP back I am going to try and fold the bellows more precisely when lowering the lid to see if that helps/cures the problem...but I can say Webbah that you are not alone!
I have been very careful in folding the bellows as well. I spoke to Service as I am having them change the oil (I know its new but I already have 2000 kilometers and I am a bit maniac about new cars and doing the first oil change to remove metal shavings, etc from break in) and they said they will work on the roof again. They apparently have fixed many of these and the first step is what they already did. I guess now they move to stage 2 roof repair.

The fat controller

Re squeakyness... Mine is fairly bad. I feel a bit like it's only since the roof last came down but perhaps I've only just noticed. If I press up on it with my hand while driving (not advised, obvs....) it eases so more like too tight than the opposite perhaps. I can live with it as it drowns out some of the rattles from the back (and the kids) but planning to apply silicone to all rubbers in advance of winter and thought it may also help with this. Will do it sooner if it bugs me!

Epigram

Very sorry to hear about your roof problem Paul.
So much for dealer handover !
Is it a newer MBUX or Cammand system? As has been said the interlockiinterlocking provides a reminder to open a window and won’t start lowering. It also stops part way down. If it doesn‘t do this, there might be a fault in the interlocking in which case you might have some redress.
It‘s belt and braces, but many people open the side door when closing so that there is absolutely no chance of the increased internal pressure forcing the bellows outwards.
Regarding other comments about squeaks, I wonder wheather the locking bolts need adjusting/greasing.
Finally the wardrobe light: Having left the wardrobe door open for a considerable time and almost flattened the battery, mine is now permanently turned off with a neodymium magnet taped to the door.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Many kind words offered to the op seem to have fallen on deaf ears... surprise surprise :D:D:D:D

Webbah

Re squeakyness... Mine is fairly bad. I feel a bit like it's only since the roof last came down but perhaps I've only just noticed. If I press up on it with my hand while driving (not advised, obvs....) it eases so more like too tight than the opposite perhaps. I can live with it as it drowns out some of the rattles from the back (and the kids) but planning to apply silicone to all rubbers in advance of winter and thought it may also help with this. Will do it sooner if it bugs me!
I was just at the service center and fortunately there was a very experienced technician there for Marco Polo's. He discovered that the alignment of the top was just a little off by about 3-5mm to one side, and about 2-3 mm too far back. I didn't have time to have them fix it today, but they will sort it out for me in the coming days. He assured me that all noise would be gone once it is aligned properly. Also, he informed me that he can order a new canvas in the same color with a window on the front. This was only available in the "Aqua Marine" color last year and I didn't want that. I'm getting a quote on that as the front window is something I really would like when parked lakefront or oceanside. ;-)

The fat controller

I was just at the service center and fortunately there was a very experienced technician there for Marco Polo's. He discovered that the alignment of the top was just a little off by about 3-5mm to one side, and about 2-3 mm too far back. I didn't have time to have them fix it today, but they will sort it out for me in the coming days. He assured me that all noise would be gone once it is aligned properly. Also, he informed me that he can order a new canvas in the same color with a window on the front. This was only available in the "Aqua Marine" color last year and I didn't want that. I'm getting a quote on that as the front window is something I really would like when parked lakefront or oceanside. ;-)
That's great I'd be really interested to hear how you go with this. Seems like you're benefitting from the greater experience on the continent than we have here. I have found someone who will swap out the canvas but I'm not convinced yet, especially as it would be affecting the warranty on a fairly high risk area!

Steve B

Dread to think what would happen if you asked a UK dealer to swap out the canvas for something else