Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mud flaps

Katie

I am considering getting mud flaps fitted to my mp as the roads around me are so muddy and the dirt is getting up the sides of the van, especially behind the front wheels
Has anyone had them fitted and did this improve matters please?

WILLH

I bought a front and rear set- the front set were easy to fit however I cannot work out how they fit-they didn’t come with instructions.Has anyone fitted rear mudflaps specifically to the AMG model?

BabaJen

I would not drive a camper without them.

Even before this miserable wetlands winter and spring, just 20 yards of reversing into a swampy pitch could result in your pride and joy being unrecognisable.

It's called a camper, that means taking it into the rough, anything that interferes with the rough sticking to the camper is an improvement :D (says Jen, having helped two bogged-down caravans be rescued yesterday morning. )

Katie

Where I once worked we supplied lease vehicles for all our surveyors and countryside rangers. I had to get permission from the leasing company to remove the mudflaps from their vehicles as they were found to be more of a hindrance offroad unless you had the very flappy sort like those on land rovers.
I guess a clean vehicle wasn’t a consideration for these people but I kind of like the idea of not getting filthy every time I get into my living / sleeping quarters.
I shan’t be fitting them myself (general decrepitude) so didn’t want to lash out on something that wasn’t much help
Will - have the front flaps made a difference? I might just get these as the worst of the dirt seems to fly up the sides from the front wheels.

WILLH

I only fitted them yesterday but I’d imagine they will keep a lot of the road crud at bay.For the cost of them,and the fact that even a useless ham fisted individual such as myself was able to fit them with ease,they are pretty much a no brainer.

mptripsaway

I only fitted them yesterday but I’d imagine they will keep a lot of the road crud at bay.For the cost of them,and the fact that even a useless ham fisted individual such as myself was able to fit them with ease,they are pretty much a no brainer.
Hi Will
Where did you buy them from and have you managed to fit the rear set?

WILLH

I bought them from a Mercedes dealer via eBay.I have not sussed out how the rears fit yet.The profile of them is correct I just can’t work out how the 4 clips they come with attach to the rear bumper-they didn’t come with any instructions.

WILLH

Has anyone else fitted rear mudflaps to their AMG variant MP?I have the genuine ones which are supposed to be for all models-part number A4478900100 and whilst the profile seems almost correct,I can’t quite get them to fit.

Paul Rutley

Hi Katie - mine were supplied and fitted by MB - they cost about £85 the fitting cost was masked by anoter job so hard to say how much to fit but as already said they can be self fitted. Are they worth it? I was diappointed they were not bigger and not badged. Yes they help to stop the road splashes but at the size they are it's limited. Hope that helps. Paul

Katie

Thanks Paul
Just before we left for touring holiday in France I succumbed and got the dealer to fit some
They do help a bit but don’t cope perfectly with all the mud and cow poo round our way
The roads in France seem much cleaner so far so no splashing up yet
Also helps that the weather has been dry
I agree with you re the size - I think they could be a bit larger without hitting the ground

Method7

So just to be clear on this the mud flaps fitted to the AMG are standard v-class flaps?

Does anyone have a part number since my local MB dealer say there are none listed for the AMG MP. Seems odd

Graham

I bought Mercedes mud flaps on ebay. When the van was in at my usual independent garage getting the ceramic coating applied, i asked if they would fit them. They told me they could not get the fitting holes aligned and spoke to a contact at Mercedes who told them that Mercedes do not make mud flaps for the AMG model (or any AMG model of any Mercedes apparently). The front ones would more or less fit, but the holes in the rears did not align with anything. They were not happy at using the self tapping screws to puncture the wheel arch lining and suggested i would be better without them in the circumstances.

Epigram

I bought Mercedes mud flaps on ebay. When the van was in at my usual independent garage getting the ceramic coating applied, i asked if they would fit them. They told me they could not get the fitting holes aligned and spoke to a contact at Mercedes who told them that Mercedes do not make mud flaps for the AMG model (or any AMG model of any Mercedes apparently). The front ones would more or less fit, but the holes in the rears did not align with anything. They were not happy at using the self tapping screws to puncture the wheel arch lining and suggested i would be better without them in the circumstances.
With all the mud around on the roads (sympathies to those affected by fooding wherever they are) my thoughts have turned to fitting mudflaps while the van is tucked up in the dry.
Looking at the mudflaps on E Bay, the cheaper ones that purport to be from UK suppliers (actually China, where else ? !) say they fit but when you read the small print they are universal and require a certain amount of “adaption”. The genuine Mercedes mudflaps from Germany and several times the price state they are unsuitable for AMG models.

Does anyone know that actual difference between the sport and the AMG rear wheel arches that causes the incompatibility for the AMG? I’m not keen on drilling the bodywork because of exposing bare metal and potential corrosion but happy to fettle a plastic mudflap.

Perhaps someone could post a picture of a Sport rear wheel arch and possibly an MB rear mudflap. I’ll do the same for my AMG and we can have a spot the difference competition.

Gazthediver

With all the mud around on the roads (sympathies to those affected by fooding wherever they are) my thoughts have turned to fitting mudflaps while the van is tucked up in the dry.
Looking at the mudflaps on E Bay, the cheaper ones that purport to be from UK suppliers (actually China, where else ? !) say they fit but when you read the small print they are universal and require a certain amount of “adaption”. The genuine Mercedes mudflaps from Germany and several times the price state they are unsuitable for AMG models.

Does anyone know that actual difference between the sport and the AMG rear wheel arches that causes the incompatibility for the AMG? I’m not keen on drilling the bodywork because of exposing bare metal and potential corrosion but happy to fettle a plastic mudflap.

Perhaps someone could post a picture of a Sport rear wheel arch and possibly an MB rear mudflap. I’ll do the same for my AMG and we can have a spot the difference competition.

Attachments

• E3E07908-2CF0-49E8-899C-C4574E53103C.jpeg
    E3E07908-2CF0-49E8-899C-C4574E53103C.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 105

WILLH

The MB mudflaps can be made to fit the AMG model but screwing into the rear bumper is required.

Epigram

The MB mudflaps can be made to fit the AMG model but screwing into the rear bumper is required.
Thanks, if that’s all that‘s needed they are on the agenda. I assume you purchased genuine Mercedes and not stuff from EBay.