Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Marco Polo and Horizon roof blistering questionnaire

Epigram

I have completed the questionnaire even though I have no blisters atm.
It might be useful to include the vehicles number registered in each quarter from https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk to gauge the percentage of vehicles affected. It‘s a reasonable assumption that most UK owners with roof blisters will complete. Therefore data on the number of quarterly registrations will indicate the percentage affected..

Looking at howmanyleft it is interesting to see the number of us that have SORNed over the winter. I wonder whether covid and lockdowns have increased that number.

NickB

I had starguard protection. Just submitted my form. Van going to dealer next Tuesday for assessment for warranty repair eligibility. 2019 MP 250 Sport. Good dealer response so far. Thanks for bringing this all together.

Grand Tourismo

Out of interest- how many had the starguard protection... could this be a causal link ? (Unlikely I know)
The star guard question is an interesting one, but probably impossible to assess for vehicles which have changed hands since new...many UK MP's are ex-dealer "demo" vans as well so probably very difficult to tell.

Grand Tourismo

I had starguard protection. Just submitted my form. Van going to dealer next Tuesday for assessment for warranty repair eligibility. 2019 MP 250 Sport. Good dealer response so far. Thanks for bringing this all together.
Thank you for the data Nick, fingers crossed for you for next week.

Grand Tourismo

I have completed the questionnaire even though I have no blisters atm.
It might be useful to include the vehicles number registered in each quarter from https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk to gauge the percentage of vehicles affected. It‘s a reasonable assumption that most UK owners with roof blisters will complete. Therefore data on the number of quarterly registrations will indicate the percentage affected..

Looking at howmanyleft it is interesting to see the number of us that have SORNed over the winter. I wonder whether covid and lockdowns have increased that number.
The howmanyleft website is a nice and handy tool, thanks for the heads-up.

According to the site I have made a rough calculation (fag packet style) and my guess is MB sell roughly around 200 - 230 new MP's a year, which "feels" a little on the high side, given no dealer really knows how to work the roof opening function. That would mean that MBUK register new 4+ MP's a week, week in, week out.
Yet the info is clear, 669 MP's were taxed on the road during 2020, 628 during 2019.

. "It‘s a reasonable assumption that most UK owners with roof blisters will complete." - not sure about this. The previous owner of my vehicle did not know anything about the roof issue at all, he was not a forum (or computer) type of guy. And some of the people who have filled in the questionnaire (10 from 51, nearly 20%) feel that they do not need a new roof and 18 from 51 have not had a new roof 35% at all.
It seems some owners think the blisters are rain drops or are in a location not so easy to reach/see.

So the big question answered is 4.5%, the number of roofs replaced and logged on this form v's total number of MP's taxed is 4.5% so far...

The howmanyleft website is a nice and handy tool, thanks for the heads-up.

According to the site I have made a rough calculation (fag packet style) and my guess is MB sell roughly around 200 - 230 new MP's a year, which "feels" a little on the high side, given no dealer really knows how to work the roof opening function. That would mean that MBUK register new 4+ MP's a week, week in, week out.
Yet the info is clear, 669 MP's were taxed on the road during 2020, 628 during 2019.

. "It‘s a reasonable assumption that most UK owners with roof blisters will complete." - not sure about this. The previous owner of my vehicle did not know anything about the roof issue at all, he was not a forum (or computer) type of guy. And some of the people who have filled in the questionnaire (10 from 51, nearly 20%) feel that they do not need a new roof and 18 from 51 have not had a new roof 35% at all.
It seems some owners think the blisters are rain drops or are in a location not so easy to reach/see.

So the big question answered is 4.5%, the number of roofs replaced and logged on this form v's total number of MP's taxed is 4.5% so far...
Totally agree with you, unless you know about the issue and get up on the roof this is easily overlooked. I noticed by accident on my first roof when fitting my solar panel. This lead me to the forum when trying to investigate what the problem was with my roof.
I do believe it is the result of a hard frost though. I am awaiting the second roof and both discovered after a hard frost. I was particularly watchful this winter being the second roof and suspecting the frost to be the case. Sure enough nothing one day and the roof was full with blisters the next after a very cold night. This time much worse than the first roof, blisters all over!

Steve B

Mine is now undercover, and the new roof is protected, so will be interesting to see if frost is the catalyst for this manufacturing problem. That said, one example doesn't prove a point, so the survey will be far more informative

Mine is now undercover, and the new roof is protected, so will be interesting to see if frost is the catalyst for this manufacturing problem. That said, one example doesn't prove a point, so the survey will be far more informative
A lot more than one example, you only have to read the thread Tiny Blisters on Roof!!

Paul Mc

My Marco Polo has been kept in a garage for the last two years and has never been exposed to severe winter conditions or hard frosts.
First blisters appeared a few weeks ago! I have 12 small blisters so far but I reckon there would be many more if the van had been parked up outside.
I‘m currently in the process of gathering photographic evidence of the blistered roof before going to the dealership.

Steve B

Its just a pity that MB aren't as interested as us in finding the issue's root cause. They have the data and resources to do it, but perhaps not a priority at the moment for them. Their minds are probably on supply chain net zero carbon commitments, electrification, their competitors activities and of course greater returns for the shareholders!

Grand Tourismo

I would think that MB clearly know what is going on but have backed the issue to Westfalia as it is a WF component.
As it is not a safety recall then it is probably not a high priority either, best keep schtum and let each owner present for a replacement rather than seek to make a loss...that way maybe only 50% (or even less) of affected vehicles will turn up seeking reparation.

Paul Mc

Its just a pity that MB aren't as interested as us in finding the issue's root cause. They have the data and resources to do it, but perhaps not a priority at the moment for them. Their minds are probably on supply chain net zero carbon commitments, electrification, their competitors activities and of course greater returns for the shareholders!

“Mercedes-Benz CEO: Customer Experience is the Brand!!”​

Stephen Cannon, President and CEO, Mercedes-Benz USA​

NickB

I have big blisters in the middle and tiny blisters along the edges of my roof, just discovered this month. There is a lot of discussion here about the warranty conditions, enforced by Mercedes, but has anyone got or obtained an opinion about the legal issues of this problem in terms of UK consumer law? I bought my MP from a dealer, and although it was a demonstrator, it was unused and had only covered 18 miles when I took delivery. I would like to ask an authoritative source about the consumer law issues of failure of a replaced 2nd roof soon (less than 3 years after replacement) after the warranty has lapsed. Has anyone investigated this? Some insurance policies have additional legal cover which might incldue such questions. Or Which? Legal cover.

Grand Tourismo

I have big blisters in the middle and tiny blisters along the edges of my roof, just discovered this month. There is a lot of discussion here about the warranty conditions, enforced by Mercedes, but has anyone got or obtained an opinion about the legal issues of this problem in terms of UK consumer law? I bought my MP from a dealer, and although it was a demonstrator, it was unused and had only covered 18 miles when I took delivery. I would like to ask an authoritative source about the consumer law issues of failure of a replaced 2nd roof soon (less than 3 years after replacement) after the warranty has lapsed. Has anyone investigated this? Some insurance policies have additional legal cover which might incldue such questions. Or Which? Legal cover.
Hi Nick,
I think there will be a lot more about this coming up as the earlier vans now start to drop off MB warranty.
There are many different aspects, for example has MB accepted and changed the roof under warranty in the past and now that replacement roof has failed outside of warranty...in effect a March 2018 van roof could have be replaced in Jan '21 under warranty but would fall out of MB warranty two months later in Mar'21.

I would think the legal aspect of the roof issue could hold it's own thread on the Forum if you want to start something up?

Needless to say please keep updating the form as you can

Paul Mc

Nick
Have you completed the ”roof blisters” survey/questionnaire ?

Steve&Max

Hi,
If you are interested in helping out to document just how many MP and Horizon roofs have been affected by blistering please read on...

Enclosed in this post is a link to an online questionnaire created in Google Forms, the idea is to create a permanent document for Marco Polo and Horizon owners to refer to in relation to the roof claim issue.
It takes less than two minutes to complete.

When you have completed the questionnaire you will be able to review the results of the data from your own input as well as all other vehicle owners who share their experiences.
The hope is that this shared data may shed light on what is going on with the faulty roofs, maybe assist in discovering what is causing the issue and support any claims owners may have with Mercedes Benz in the future.

Please read first, before you fill out the form:

You may need a Google account or Gmail account to access the questionnaire
Please fill out the form as fully as possible
Please only fill the form in once, let's keep the data as genuine as possible
If you fill out the questionnaire and things change, or you make a mistake, the form will allow you to edit your answers to reflect your current roof status
Please keep adding info the the form as the years pass, this will help to keep the data as current as possible
And finally...
Please remember this is a publicly viewable by all document, keep your data safe and please refrain from using profanities or foul language

Finally if you have any comments to make about the questionnaire or would like to see a particular question asked in relation to the MP roof issue please post it in this thread.
Thank you in advance for your support, here is the link:

Form completed, thanks for setting this up.
MP Horizon sept 2019 3000 miles
Steve