Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leasure battery charge

Halsall-

With the kitchen layout, so two rear seats and charging point at the side of the chair. Only checking as I could not get the trickle charge to work. But I only tried the front one and rear one, not the middle one..

tutuxico

With the kitchen layout, so two rear seats and charging point at the side of the chair. Only checking as I could not get the trickle charge to work. But I only tried the front one and rear one, not the middle one..
My MP doesn't have the kitchen.

Halsall-

Just tried that socket and it charges, but it charges the main vehicle battery not the leisure one. Worth a try though…

Halsall-

Okay, today we had our MP into Mercedes as our leisure battery will not hold charge and I managed to get some time with the electrical engineer.

The leisure battery is located under the passenger seat on a right hand drive vehicle and mounted under the drivers seat on a left hand drive vehicle, so basically the left side of the vehicle.

To remove the battery you have to remove the front seat, even though on first sight you might think it would come out from the side. He showed me why you would not get it out of the side. The cables are too short and the video they have for the change out is very clear how to change the battery.

None of the cigarette light socket charge the leisure battery if you try a plug in a trickle charger, the socket in the middle of the van will charge the vehicle battery, but not the leisure battery (MP with kitchen).

The technician said there where a lot better batteries on the market, (if your vehicles is out of warranty) with a lot longer life. But he said if you want Mercedes to change the leisure battery it is quite expensive as the labour charge is high due to the removal of the front seat which is really heavy and the test time to make sure everything is working correctly. Ours is being charged under warranty, we are having to wait 7 weeks for the battery to arrive.

Dutchyankee

We have been plugging the van in as recommended which has kept our two Leisure batteries working well for 17 years which is unbelievable.
Both batteries are approaching end of lifetime so will need to be replaced in the spring.
I am hoping the 2x 100 W Solar panels and installing will illuminate this need.
Steven

enano

To remove the battery you have to remove the front seat, even though on first sight you might think it would come out from the side. He showed me why you would not get it out of the side. The cables are too short and the video they have for the change out is very clear how to change the battery.
No, you can remove the leisure from the side of the seat. That is how I have technicians do it and I have done it twice the same way. No big deal. A lot easier and faster than removing the seat.

In fact, it is easier to do than it is to explain.

1 - pull firmly off the plastic cover to expose the battery:

20200530_190954(1).jpg

2 - remove the two screws that hold the battery firmly in place and also support the fuses and the shunt. Remove the plastic venting pipe:

20200530_193243.jpg

3 - Pull the battery outwards. It is heavy, apply some force. When the negative lead shows out, unscrew the terminal.

20200530_193543.jpg

4 - Pull off the battery again until you can reach the positive lead, then carefully unscrew the terminal. Rubber gloves and extra care advised. The wrench will come close to the metallic seat base.

20200530_193809.jpg

5. Fully remove the battery and let it charge for some hours while you appoint a visit to spine care and make a resolution to go to the gym more often.

20200530_202056.jpg

That is, as far as I know, the proper way to remove the battery(ies). In case of doubt, it is quite clearly stated in the sticker next to the battery (in the above pics, in spanish-from-a-german-translator, just like all the other stickers in the van).

Epigram

No, you can remove the leisure from the side of the seat. That is how I have technicians do it and I have done it twice the same way. No big deal. A lot easier and faster than removing the seat.

In fact, it is easier to do than it is to explain.

1 - pull firmly off the plastic cover to expose the battery:

View attachment 2079

2 - remove the two screws that hold the battery firmly in place and also support the fuses and the shunt. Remove the plastic venting pipe:

View attachment 2081

3 - Pull the battery outwards. It is heavy, apply some force. When the negative lead shows out, unscrew the terminal.

View attachment 2080

4 - Pull off the battery again until you can reach the positive lead, then carefully unscrew the terminal. Rubber gloves and extra care advised. The wrench will come close to the metallic seat base.

View attachment 2082

5. Fully remove the battery and let it charge for some hours while you appoint a visit to spine care and make a resolution to go to the gym more often.

View attachment 2083

That is, as far as I know, the proper way to remove the battery(ies). In case of doubt, it is quite clearly stated in the sticker next to the battery (in the above pics, in spanish-from-a-german-translator, just like all the other stickers in the van).
Excellent post @enano.
It might be worth posting this again under a new thread titled “Leisure Battery Removal” as a reference for those who wish to replace it the in future and avoid Mercedes service charges.

Halsall-

Great post, we had ours changed the other day and it looks like its a HS issue according to the tech at Mercedes, why they take the seat out. But that does not make sense as the seat is much heavier. But Mercedes did try and charge us £840 to replace the battery, until they we reminded them it was under warranty.

But the new battery will now keep the fridge running for nearly 3 days which is a massive improvement over 3 hours…

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Great post, we had ours changed the other day and it looks like its a HS issue according to the tech at Mercedes, why they take the seat out. But that does not make sense as the seat is much heavier. But Mercedes did try and charge us £840 to replace the battery, until they we reminded them it was under warranty.

But the new battery will now keep the fridge running for nearly 3 days which is a massive improvement over 3 hours…

HS my arse, it's the £840 that's the incentive and I bet they just do as above! The instructions are even printed next to the battery, 5mins max to remove!

Halsall-

I did see the van without the seat in, not sure how they are trained. I tried your description and as you say it’s only takes a few minutes and the battery slides out very easy…

J

j200george

VIP Member
Rather than create a new thread... this seems an appropriate line of chat (if a little aged)...... my spider senses are tingling over my leisure battery health. My MP has only done 7k miles in 3.5 years, 4 of which in the last 2 years, and 2k in the first owners keep.

I am concerned that not getting many miles into the car, the battery will have spent long hours not getting a regular charge. I did drive over 500 miles back from collecting the car from London to Glasgow but other than that its journeys so far have not been any great distances.

Should I swap out the leisure battery as a precaution?

If from the description enough it seems straightforward enough to swap out, has any one done this at all? if so where did you get the battery and how much was it?

What would "normal" performance look like in the battery? If you go to the car say first thing in the morning, what voltage is showing in the charge level display in the head unit? Mine seems to be about 12.2V thereafter when turning the car on the charge will reach 14.2V.

Obviously when the engine is running the full bars in the Charge Status Bar graph are illuminated.

Whats the best way to test whether the leisure battery is holding its charge? Put the fridge on and check the level every 30 mins?

Clearly if the voltage is dropping dramatically then there's an issue?

I have tried to read the manual once again but its not prescriptive enough and once more would welcome anyone's practical guidance from their own experience.

Last edited:

Halsall-

Rather than create a new thread... this seems an appropriate line of chat (if a little aged)...... my spider senses are tingling over my leisure battery health. My MP has only done 7k miles in 3.5 years, 4 of which in the last 2 years, and 2k in the first owners keep.

I am concerned that not getting many miles into the car, the battery will have spent long hours not getting a regular charge. I did drive over 500 miles back from collecting the car from London to Glasgow but other than that its journeys so far have not been any great distances.

Should I swap out the leisure battery as a precaution?

If from the description enough it seems straightforward enough to swap out, has any one done this at all? if so where did you get the battery and how much was it?

What would "normal" performance look like in the battery? If you go to the car say first thing in the morning, what voltage is showing in the charge level display in the head unit? Mine seems to be about 12.2V thereafter when turning the car on the charge will reach 14.2V.

Obviously when the engine is running the full bars in the Charge Status Bar graph are illuminated.

Whats the best way to test whether the leisure battery is holding its charge? Put the fridge on and check the level every 30 mins?

Clearly if the voltage is dropping dramatically then there's an issue?

I have tried to read the manual once again but its not prescriptive enough and once more would welcome anyone's practical guidance from their own experience.
Yes put the fridge on and see how long it runs for, a good battery will last 3 days. I knackered one lasts about 2 hours. To change the battery is very straight forward, if you have a right hand vehicle, the leisure battery is under the passenger seat. To access it, remove the plastic panel at the base of the seat. Just give it a tug and it pops off.

J

j200george

VIP Member
Tested this myself and my leisure battery reduced to 11.3V with the fridge on 4 overnight. Not entirely sure of the starting voltage but the car had been on 14.4V we then had a four hour dog walk (with the fridge on 4), the voltage was 13.2V before a half hour drive home.

Therefore assuming a linear discharge rate this looks like I’d potentially get 2 more days out of the charge before dropping down under 9.5V.

Reckon my battery is within normal parameters? Would anyone disagree?

Method7

Is the leisure battery charged by the alternator on the Full fat MP?
Our horizon leisure battery gets very little use, almost none despite me thinking up every opportunity to use it. We have a fridge, some LED flag pole lights and the occasional phone charger.. this only ever happens when we are away which isn’t as much as I would like.. but the battery always performs well.. it’s never gone flat or failed to run what we need when we need it.
Obvs the Horizon leisure battery is charged by the alternator - I guess this process is propping up the battery regardless of its lack of use. I might just leave the fridge plugged in an see how long it lasts .. the fridge is a big Dometic CombiCool… bigger maybe than the one fitted to the MP.
The Horizon has 2 live 12v outlets with the key removed, as stated above the ones near the rear seat, a bit annoying really as the outlet in the boot would be very handy.