Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heating

Ian

Hi. I’m interested in a Marco Polo and I expect like many people are comparing it to a VW California. A key difference appears to be the fitment of a diesel air heater. I understand that this is standard on a California Ocean but an optional extra on a MP. At a cost of £2.5k it is a particularly expensive option (although I’m sure that the MP does have a lot of standard features, which if specified on an Ocean would soon add up to more than this). My expected usage would be mainly Spring – Autumn camping, usually at campsites with hook-up but with an occasional night ‘wild camping’. I’d be interested in any thoughts that people have on both:

Having a diesel air heater (e.g. something like a small eberspächer heater) retrofitted to a MP if at a later date I decided this may be useful?

Using a small electric fan heater when on mains hook-up. I think campsites typically have enough amps to allow a lower powered version to run but I am unaware of any restrictions on the electrics within the MP?

Many thanks for any helpful replies.

mptripsaway

Hi. I’m interested in a Marco Polo and I expect like many people are comparing it to a VW California. A key difference appears to be the fitment of a diesel air heater. I understand that this is standard on a California Ocean but an optional extra on a MP. At a cost of £2.5k it is a particularly expensive option (although I’m sure that the MP does have a lot of standard features, which if specified on an Ocean would soon add up to more than this). My expected usage would be mainly Spring – Autumn camping, usually at campsites with hook-up but with an occasional night ‘wild camping’. I’d be interested in any thoughts that people have on both:

Having a diesel air heater (e.g. something like a small eberspächer heater) retrofitted to a MP if at a later date I decided this may be useful?

Using a small electric fan heater when on mains hook-up. I think campsites typically have enough amps to allow a lower powered version to run but I am unaware of any restrictions on the electrics within the MP?

Many thanks for any helpful replies.
You are correct, Cali has air heater as standard, on MP its an option.
I personally did not choose the option on my MP as I have no intention to be "off grid" in the winter. I use a 2kw fan heater with thermostatic control if I feel the need for some heat, it sits nicely between the front seats when on site and stows for travelling. I have just returned from a weekend in the Malvern hills where overnight temp was around 2c and was very comfortable sleeping up top. If you plan a lot of time without hookup in cold weather I think many folk with a lot more experience than I would say it's a "must have"and I tend to agree. I believe the air heater albeit a diesel heater does use battery power but I have no idea at what rate and as I'm sure you are aware MP has only one leisure battery vs cali's two. If in doubt about your vehicle usage and you can afford the heater, I'd say get it.

Last edited:

WILLH

I specified the air heater for mine.I know it’s a lot of £ in isolation but as a percentage of the whole cost of the vehicle it’s only a small proportion.I also feel that because it is standard on the California then it may help it sell when/if I choose to get rid.I also specified the hot water heater which I probably would not do if I was ordering again.I also ordered the additional heat exchanger which I still don’t have a clue what it does so it’s cost me over £4K in heat related extras.I new high tog duvet from Dunelm would probably have done just as well for about £40!

Roy C

I have also opted for the auxilliary diesel air heater. I did consider not ordering the diesel heater option and maybe retrofitting an after-market one, since these are about half the price. This seems to be relatively common for older VW Cali vans that didn’t have it as a standard but I was a bit concerned about how that mod might effect insurance. I also thought, like Will, that the factory-fit option might help resale values but it’s a bit too early to tell if that’s the case in the UK given the short period of time the MP has been available here.

Ian

All good points. I had not considered resale values or what might be seen as essential options further down the line. In the pdf sales voucher brochure I could not see any option for an additional heat exchanger so no idea what that might do.

John jamieson

Just bought mp 250 amg with aux heater it works very well, when I bought it dealer told me a lot of dealer bought mp in stock with water heater thinking they would heat van and water hence there is a lot of vans for sale a reduced cost to engine cooler water heater spec in stead of aux heater. I was closing deal with Merc in Salisbury who did awesome job of everything just to mention. I then get call from Merc in Harrogate wanting to sell me a van that some returned due not have aux heater told them no thanks at 2k cheaper that week before.

mptripsaway

The
Just bought mp 250 amg with aux heater it works very well, when I bought it dealer told me a lot of dealer bought mp in stock with water heater thinking they would heat van and water hence there is a lot of vans for sale a reduced cost to engine cooler water heater spec in stead of aux heater. I was closing deal with Merc in Salisbury who did awesome job of everything just to mention. I then get call from Merc in Harrogate wanting to sell me a van that some returned due not have aux heater told them no thanks at 2k cheaper that week before.
My MP was built to order to my specification, nothing to do with dealer.
For my kind of use and not planning winter off grid the Aux water heater is perfectly adequate.
The aux water heater does heat the air in the vehicle.
It in fact has 3 functions:
Aux heating 3 x approx 55mins
Heater boost - for when engine is running and there is cold outside temp.
Aux ventilation - to cool vehicle to match external temperature.
In addition it heats engine coolant to preserve engine and save fuel during warm up phase.

Ian

Braysaway - what do you mean by 3 x 55mins for the aux water heater. My reading of the spec would be that it provides 60minutes of hot air at a time. Does it then need to cool down before being able to run again? Does the aux water heater also run off the diesel tank?

mptripsaway

Braysaway - what do you mean by 3 x 55mins for the aux water heater. My reading of the spec would be that it provides 60minutes of hot air at a time. Does it then need to cool down before being able to run again? Does the aux water heater also run off the diesel tank?
Hi Ian,
The aux water heater works independent of the engine using the vehicles fuel supply.
I have read and heard figures from 50 to 60 mins quoted for operation before it shuts down automatically, I believe heater stops at 50 mins but fan continues to distribute air, although I stand to be corrected. It can be set to come on automatically at 3 separate time points. I do not know how much time there needs to be between each operation, I have only needed to use it a couple of times so far. The reason that I chose it is its my daily driver and I will use it often during winter. It can be started by remote, about 300m range or if you have the mercedesme app it can be done using your smartphone. As I said in earlier post, it works for me but it wont be right for all uses.

mptripsaway

I've been reading today on MB world that the Aux Water Heater can be restarted each time it shuts down but for a max of 120mins it will then cut out in order to protect the starter battery and will only restart when battery has regained sufficient charge. Does anyone know if that is the same for the Aux Air Heater?

John jamieson

Aux air heater is a separate diesel burner heater which uses small amount of power to power a fan under passenger seat so power use is low

John jamieson

Warm air heater is a separate diesel heater which has small power consumption of a fan under passengers seat and can run all night if required but you just set temp of van and it cuts in and out automatical to maintain desired temp

ishi051

I have been reading this technical post with great interest: I have just secured a MP that has *both* the air heater and the water heater fitted. This wasn’t my choice: it was just what came with the spec. I am still puzzled why you would choose have both heater types installed. Surely you would choose one or the other? Or is there a benefit to having both that I don’t realise?

Roy C

If you have both heaters then the water heater can be used to warm the engine coolant and can be controlled remotely. This means on a cold morning you can pre-heat the cabin and warm the coolant prior to starting the engine to reduce wear and tear. If you have the warm air heater then you’d use this if you want to continuously maintain a temperature in the cabin when parked up overnight since the water heater can only be used for limited periods of time.

ishi051

If you have both heaters then the water heater can be used to warm the engine coolant and can be controlled remotely. This means on a cold morning you can pre-heat the cabin and warm the coolant prior to starting the engine to reduce wear and tear. If you have the warm air heater then you’d use this if you want to continuously maintain a temperature in the cabin when parked up overnight since the water heater can only be used for limited periods of time.

Thanks Roy - that does sound beneficial. So they are used for different purposes then... I’ll be using mine to commute as well as holiday in so pre heating the cabin and coolant will come in handy in the winter... Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WILLH

The merits of both heaters have been discussed in detail here before.I ordered both which whilst extravagant only accounted for a small overall proportion of the purchase price of the vehicle.

ishi051

The merits of both heaters have been discussed in detail here before.I ordered both which whilst extravagant only accounted for a small overall proportion of the purchase price of the vehicle.

Thanks Willh - I think it was the ability to pre heat using the water heater that I was missing.... I’m currently looking at Mercedes Me app and COMAND. I believe this comes with the V Class MP and allows you to turn on the water heater from the comfort of your own home?

Just put a deposit down for my MP AMG 250. Can’t wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WILLH

Yes you can switch it on using the app and the interior warms quite quickly-useful on those cold winter mornings.If you just set off without this though warm air comes through the vents very quickly too-certainly within a minute or two of the engine starting-even in freezing temperatures.Also great for just an hour or so heat when required.