Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front tyres scrubbing on full lock MP 2018

R

Rodders

VIP Member
Hi I have the Marco Polo camper 2018 and on full lock it sounds and feels like the tyres are scrubbing... is this normal and has anyone else experienced this

Method7

Yes, I have noticed that feedback from the front end is a bit vague and when turning a local corner the outside front wheel runs over a man hole, you can feel the corner dive as it looses traction but there is next to no feedback on the steering. Our old FWD V280 never faltered on this corner, in fact it was much better at low speed turning in general, having said that I still think the MP is, regardless of the lack of steering feedback a much better drive. The experience is much more remote than any vehicle I have ever driven, more akin to driving a simulator.

I really struggled with this when I first got the MP, it didn’t deliver the full experience I was expecting, when compared to the FWD V280 it introduces almost as many problems as it solves. I would like to think that the AWD version solves all these little niggles but on balance I think the MP is a much better drive for anything above 10mph. It feels a bit woolly at low speed manoeuvring but never seems to loose it’s line regardless of the scuffing, pitching and other grumblings.. it doesn’t seem to be adversely effecting tyre wear although there is feathering on the outside edges..time will tell I guess.

Last edited:
Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
Hi all - I have the same problem which has resulted in the front tyres being replaced at 18,000 miles. The tyre company I used has an ex Mercedes Benz engineer working for them and he passed comment that this was normal on the V Class. His suggestion was to minimise the use of full lock wherever possible !!

Looks like it is a design issue.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimbo73

jimbo73

VIP Member
I get this, so does my wife 4wd C43, esp on cold tyres.. I think its due to the small turning circles ?

Method7

18k miles doesn’t seem to bad, maybe the minimum one might expect for any vehicle. Our MP is three years old in June and we have just clocked up 8k lol. So at this rate we will likely be replacing tyres just because they are too old.

I wonder if there is a difference between the sport and the AMG.. I would imagine the higher profile sport tyre lasts longer just because it will offer a little more wall flex.

Dan White

I noticed at 9k miles the near side front tyre was scrubbing the outer edge and swapped the wheels front to back. I still get the scrubbing feel on full lock but at least I’ll maximise the tyre life. Ours is currently on 11500 miles and I reckon we could see 18k or more before they’ll need changing

Steve B

Ours looks OK at the moment, but no long trips last year and it looking bleak for early part of this year, no danger of change in the near future. The issue i'm worried about is the fact that our MP is doing lots (well a few!) of short urban runs, so this may further shorten tyre life.

Andrew Pidgeon

Both front tyres on my from new 2017 MP were worn out on the extremities at 7500 miles. Car was skipping across the ground on full lock. Had Mercedes look and was told this was normal (guess I must look like an idiot). Had tracking and front end checked and the settings were over 4 degrees out on both sides. I was told that factory set up is often not checked by dealerships. Worth a look. Footwear now Avons front and Bridgestone rears. Tyres now lasting very well 24k miles and no further problems.
I am a disabled driver using handcontrols.
Unfortunately I may have to sell the MP this year due to a deterioration in my medical condition so if anyone wants a top spec 2017 model with lots of Westfalia extras you are welcome to contact me here.