Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Done with Facebook and Twitter

KDM

Done with Facebook and Twitter. Hoping we can bring this site back to what it was. I'm ready to talk tires, performance, dogs, add-ons, accessories, you name it, let's go! Just for fun:

Grand Tourismo

Done with Facebook and Twitter. Hoping we can bring this site back to what it was. I'm ready to talk tires, performance, dogs, add-ons, accessories, you name it, let's go! Just for fun:
I have been "Socials" distancing since they launched My Space and the like way back.
People I know think I'm odd...I think I am way ahead of the crowd in seeing them for what they are. Welcome to a socially distanced free world KDM :Welcome:

Reactions: KDM

Epigram

Not sure whether that was a question or a statement.

Anyway something that might kick off a discussion:
IMO a major drawback of the Marco Polo is the lack of a 4WD option in UK.
The MP is unhappy on wet muddy grass with the slightest incline and I doubt whether chunky tyres on their own would make much difference with two wheel drive.
Not a problem on camp sites which have hardstanding or are reasonably level and if you get stuck in a field on a camp site there is usually someone or something to pull you out. However, if you decide go off the beaten track you need to ensure a downward exit route if there is a possibility of dew or overnight rain. Options are therefore more restricted.
In Europe in the winter there are many V Class 4matic taxis coping happily with snow and ice on steep inclines. ( usually with 17 wheels and higher profile snow tyres.)

I am minded to purchase a 4matic Marco Polo in Europe and import it into the UK. It would inevitably be left hand drive. I have no trouble driving LHD vehicles generally provided mirrors are good and an automatic removes the need to remember where the gear knob is.

What are members attitudes to having a 4matic Marco Polo in left hand drive in the UK?

Would you buy one in LHD to get the benefit of 4WD?

Would you pay more or less?

Any experiences of driving, taxing or insuring LHD campers or importing a vehicle?

Grand Tourismo

Ooh, I like this one Epi!
Just yesterday I was thinking I would prefer a LHD...I have the original MB control panel (not the new touch screen) and I am right handed....trying to use the writing recognition pad, or even just navigating the computer system with my clumsy left hand is a trial!!

I could of course buy a newer UK MP and see if the touch screen helps a little. ;)

(not sure what the situation is surrounding importing used EU vehicles in a post Brexit UK, there may be tariffs and taxes which make this less attractive a solution)

Epigram

Ooh, I like this one Epi!
Just yesterday I was thinking I would prefer a LHD...I have the original MB control panel (not the new touch screen) and I am right handed....trying to use the writing recognition pad, or even just navigating the computer system with my clumsy left hand is a trial!!

I could of course buy a newer UK MP and see if the touch screen helps a little. ;)

(not sure what the situation is surrounding importing used EU vehicles in a post Brexit UK, there may be tariffs and taxes which make this less attractive a solution)
The post brexit registration and vat system is manageable provided you are up for copeous bureaucracy and paperwork.
I think my main worry would be MB UK warranty and servicing. Many UK dealers struggle with faults and repairs with vehicles to UK specification let alone an additional (and genuine) excuse to slope shoulders for something that may not appear on their UK computer service manual.
BTW, I have a new(square) touch panel on my GLC, it’s very sensitive (even after adjustment in settings) and IMO not as easy and precise to control on the move as the old “Command” knob - pardon my French.

Steve B

I think the facebook bit is good for some as its instant, short message and on your smartphone and you can have near real time exchanges for everyone and their uncle to see. I don't use it and much prefer this method, and like the history search ability and the relative privacy you get as comments here are less visible as you have to come in and make the effort to look. It is slower, perhaps seems less active as the same question isn't asked over and over every time a new person joins (search function again). Never used Twitter or instagram or tictok, don't intend to, but Whatsapp is good and mainly use that.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Don't like hardstandings, If I do have to use campsites I much prefer small temporary 'pop up sites,' CL/CS type, or pitch up with the campers in the field, All can be a problem with a rear drive MP. As @Epigram said it's worth having a walk round checking the surface and exit points before you pitch up. I have contemplated all season tyres which I'm told by those who have fitted them, do make a difference on wet slippery grass but not muddy conditions. 4WD would be a good option on a camper

Many motorhomers have imported new LHD in the past due to massive savings, not sure about 2nd hand or post brexit. Most of them would be spending more time touring the continent than UK driving, so LHD, servicing and warranty not much of a problem. For me LHD when use is exclusively (atm) in the uk wouldn't be an option. Oh and I'm Left handed :)

Only ever joined forums, never entertained other social media and doubt I ever will. A friend posted some photos on facebook a while back, we had been on a day out and I was in them, apparently some of the comments in subsequent posts were very insulting about me. I'm happy to have a camera pointed at me but if I see anyone pointing a phone at me now :mad::mad::mad:

I'm going to have a rant about the quality of the flooring in the mp. A camper should have hardwearing flooring and the stuff in the mp looks cheap and nasty, is cheap and nasty and it's definitely NOT hard wearing. My wife suggests looking into having it replaced with something like Altro which is a much more suitable floor covering.

Grand Tourismo

Don't like hardstandings, If I do have to use campsites I much prefer small temporary 'pop up sites,' CL/CS type, or pitch up with the campers in the field, All can be a problem with a rear drive MP. As @Epigram said it's worth having a walk round checking the surface and exit points before you pitch up. I have contemplated all season tyres which I'm told by those who have fitted them, do make a difference on wet slippery grass but not muddy conditions. 4WD would be a good option on a camper

Many motorhomers have imported new LHD in the past due to massive savings, not sure about 2nd hand or post brexit. Most of them would be spending more time touring the continent than UK driving, so LHD, servicing and warranty not much of a problem. For me LHD when use is exclusively (atm) in the uk wouldn't be an option. Oh and I'm Left handed :)

Only ever joined forums, never entertained other social media and doubt I ever will. A friend posted some photos on facebook a while back, we had been on a day out and I was in them, apparently some of the comments in subsequent posts were very insulting about me. I'm happy to have a camera pointed at me but if I see anyone pointing a phone at me now :mad::mad::mad:

I'm going to have a rant about the quality of the flooring in the mp. A camper should have hardwearing flooring and the stuff in the mp looks cheap and nasty, is cheap and nasty and it's definitely NOT hard wearing. My wife suggests looking into having it replaced with something like Altro which is a much more suitable floor covering.
I love your posts SBD so "on point", they lighten my day!! :Thumbs up:

RE flooring: I see the MP as a luxury yacht not a camper van...I just have to be careful not to drip caviar on my suede loafers!! Fluffy slippers will sort the issue.
Shame my spaniel hasn't quite read the script!

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
I love your posts SBD so "on point", they lighten my day!! :Thumbs up:

RE flooring: I see the MP as a luxury yacht not a camper van...I just have to be careful not to drip caviar on my suede loafers!! Fluffy slippers will sort the issue.
Shame my spaniel hasn't quite read the script!

:D:D:D

I badly scratched the floor in my Yacht when the porta potti I was using slid due to a big swell o_O

Steve B

I mentioned in a past post, ours got stuck on flat grass (quickly point out I wasn't there) and my wife pressed the SOS button! A very nice person from MB spoke to her and the RAC came out and towed it to firmer land. I'm wary of wet grass now as its more effective than a police stinger in stopping MP's :)

Grand Tourismo

Just discovered small paint blisters of the roof of our 2019 MP - Is this common and what is Mercedes response? - Any advice appreciated
Hi MOB, and welcome along :Welcome:

Sorry to report that the blisters issue is a fairly common fault but so far has been met with a good response from MB.
When you read through the threads you will notice that some owners have had more than one replacement roof...the so far unconfirmed school of thought is that MB may have got on top of the issue with roofs replaced after around Sept or Oct '20 but only time will tell.
There seems to be varying degrees of quality of support from local MB dealers, it depends on where you live but it may be worth you seeking out a local dealer which has successfully faced this issue in the past and has some positive responses from the forum.

Great vehicle you have there and a perfect time to own one...just need the weather to perk up and we can all get out there a little more.
Happy Trails