Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Who do I contact about my Marco Polo roof issue?

Grand Tourismo

EDIT: Read the end message marked "final update" within the thread first as the details surrounding communicating with MB UK have changed.

Hi
I thought it might be handy to start a thread specifically about our combined contacts with MB regarding the pop-up roof paint failure.
On this thread you can post various emails or letters of contact you have had with MB specifically about your roof so that we can pool our knowledge of how to navigate successful warranty claims and the like.

I really would not like to draw people away from two other important threads to keep going, one very handy thread is the "Tiny Blisters" thread started by ClareDe back in Feb 2019 - this is an excellent place to find out how others have got on regarding the roof issue and how that is progressing...you can find that thread at this link https://www.marcopoloownersclub.com/threads/tiny-blisters-on-roof.531/

Another handy thread is the "roof questionnaire" thread, here you can post and update your roof issue progress on an online form for all to share.

Good luck with your communications!!

Last edited:

Grand Tourismo

I have borrowed the below info kindly supplied by RFT which might help you get the ball rolling on your roof claim should you need assistance:

"
As promised I have now spoken to Rob Halloway who is Marketing Director at MB, on the board and reports directly to the UK CEO. He was joined on the call by Sam Johnson who is the Customer Assistance Manager and who heads the department that deals with escalation of problems. Neither claimed any knowledge of our roof blister problem.

My roof was last replaced in January, with one with a serial number, and so I'm hopeful that this latest iteration of roof will sort my own problem. However, I made it very clear that inside or outside the 3 year warranty, roofs need to be replaced until the problem is finally fixed.

I would recommend that everyone emails MB with their own story, whether they are in warranty and having knock back from their dealer, out of warranty and have had their claim kicked out or currently problem free (like me) but registering their concern that their current roof may not be any better than their previous roof.

I specifically requested that a specific person be nominated at MB to be their point man and I was disappointed that after the call I was given by text what looks like a generic email address me but advised that it was not generic! Whether you have used the email below previously or not please refer to the Marco Polo roof matter that has been discussed with Rob Halloway and Sam Johnson.

If you still receive a less than helpful reply that looks as though it has not been escalated please tell me and once I have a handful I will tell Rob and Sam that their suggestion hasn't worked and if they then fail to take appropriate action I will release their email addresses and direct numbers.

Obviously the more people that email with their concerns the better: [email protected]
"

Grand Tourismo

I sent this mail to MBUK yesterday as suggested by RFT and today I got a call from my local MB dealer wanting to book my MP in for roof assessment. (You will note that I did not put any real contact details just my name, and they found me anyway).
As advised I used the names RFT recommended in the subject line.

The service manager at my local dealer was careful to explain that the MP roof would need assessment by the paint shop manager and that his findings would be sent to MBUK for a decision as to if this defect is covered under warranty or not. He mentioned that in some circumstances warranty issues of a different nature have been authorised even outside of the 3 year manufacturers warranty period.
Let's hope that is the case as mine is more than 4 years old now.

MBUK Warranty request-1.png

Reactions: RFT

Steve B

Good idea, I've no blisters on my new roof yet but my van will be out of warranty at the end of the year. I'm going to see what is said about extending the cover for the roof based on the fact its new. If we all start sending enquiries to the centre we should get some consistencies.

Grand Tourismo

Small update:

I took my MP into my local MB dealer yesterday for them to inspect the roof and take images as instructed by MBUK above.

The paint shop tech was very helpful, he took photo's of the blistering on the roof and of the Westfalia VIN plate on the c pillar of the sliding door. No mention of seeking a serial number on the roof (I doubt there is one as my MP has an early roof).
He was diligent and courteous and explained the full process. He mentioned that this was a known fault with MB and that he felt confident it would pass through the warranty process easily enough.

Today I received a phone call from the dealer explaining that as my vehicle was out of warranty the "system" automatically rejected my claim.
This meant that the admin person who was filling the request would need to make a manual request by filing in a "matrix".
I mentioned that I had an open case number with Harry Clarke at MBUK and maybe she could quote this to tie everything together.

I now await the response from MBUK via my local dealer and will report back on here as things progress.

Grand Tourismo

Small update:

A couple of days after I posted the above I received an email from MBUK explaining that my case was in discussion with senior management at MBUK and the the main factory and as such may take some time to resolve. I decided that 4 weeks should be enough time for them to work out the situation and be able to advise me on the next steps. I made a note in my calendar to chase them in mid June.

I duly emailed my contact, Harry Clarke at MBUK on the 11th of June and had not received a response by the 18th of June so I decided to give Harry a call.

Harry and I had a long and pleasant chat about the situation. The upshot is that MBUK and the factory are in the final stages of a process of making a specific range of chassis numbers deemed suitable for roof exchange.
Apparently this list of chassis numbers effected by the blistering issue will then be accessible by our local UK MB dealers, and a decision on roof replacement can be taken by the dealer on the spot, without the further need of contacting MBUK head office and seeking permission.
Harry was careful to point out that the dealer would still need to inspect the roof and ascertain if any external influences had caused the paint system defect, but that the whole process would be much quicker and easier.
When I discussed vehicles such as mine which are out of the official warranty period, it was explained that as there will be a chassis number list of effected vehicles, and that the issue will become known as a manufacturing defect for those effected, that a replacement roof installation will be honoured.

During our conversation Harry was clear that MBUK wish to sort out this issue and support the owners of the Marco Polo. He made reference to the forum and to social media and explained that MBUK wish to clean up and repair the image of the Marco Polo roof issue.

As this new procedure is in the final stages of sign-off by MB it is expected that the effected vehicles list will be in place in a matter of weeks, not months.

I hope what has been relayed to me will come to fruition, I think it will go a long way to repairing and regaining confidence within the MP community surrounding the roof issue.

Grand Tourismo

Further update:

I have an email from Harry Clarke at MB UK letting me know that MB have agreed to replace my roof under warranty although my official vehicle warranty expired in March 2020...14 months ago, so there we have it.
It seems that if an MP is out of warranty but develops roof blistering as a result of a manufacturing defect and no other external influence has caused the fault, MB are still going to warrant the vehicle and effect a roof replacement.

I will contact Harry and try to ascertain if my vehicle has been dealt with on a "case-by-case" basis or if there is now a structure and list of affected chassis numbers that dealers can simply access.

Finally I can go and amend my input on the questionnaire!

Grand Tourismo

Final update:

In the interests of closing down this thread and after speaking with MBUK I wanted to update this post for the final time.

I have been told categorically by MBUK that the following rules apply to any claim:

- MBUK will honour roof blistering issues on vehicles even after the official warranty period of the vehicle (3 years in the UK) has expired, subject to a successful MB dealer inspection​
- Roof blistering claims will only be processed if your local MB dealer has inspected the roof and ascertained that no external influence has caused the defect in the paint system​
- Successful claims will be processed by your local MB dealer directly. There is now a list of affected vehicle chassis numbers therefore your local MB dealer will not need to refer to MBUK for authorisation, thereby reducing the time taken in decision making​
- Roofs that are replaced under a claim are warranted as a "replacement part" and as such fall under the MB parts guarantee of 2 years from installation​
- All roof communication should now be made via your local MB dealer as they now have the tools to be able to process your claim succesfully​

So in my opinion that is it all done and dealt with, :Thumbs up: good job all involved on this great forum as well as the guys pushing the other side on Fb.

...And finally I hope this starts the process of rebuilding the confidence in the Marco Polo regarding the roof issue, it is a remarkable vehicle and should be celebrated.

Steve B

Well done GT on this, I hope those with a 2nd (or 3rd) roof can move on and those who have the issue have piece of mind that it will be resolved.

CB2

Unfortunately I've had the runaround from MB Cambridge and head office. Would you be able to PM me some direct contact details to escalate please?

Grand Tourismo

The order of approach goes like this:
Contact MB customer services and request that your vehicle is appraised under warranty, they should open a case, allocate you a case number and point you towards your local dealer for vehicle appraisal. If not ask them why not.
Visit your dealer (or one recommended as supportive if you wish) and have the roof inspected, they will take some images and refer their findings back to MB cust.servs. against your case number/VIN/Reg No.
Give them the requested wait time to process and then contact MB cust. services for an outcome of the report. This might be all you need, you may be sorted at this time.
If not you then need to raise your appraisal request from a simple request to a full complaint. You may need to "complain" about the dealer within this in order for your claim to be forwarded to MB HQ. Just keep your dealer appraised of your actions so that they know what you are up to.
Once your complaint/claim is in HQ you need to try to steer it towards Harry Clarke as he is the "point man" for the roof issue.
That should sort it.

* I cannot state this more plainly, you need to pick up the phone and talk to people along the way, keep your dealer in the loop. Be clear, indeed be firm but 100% important please remain polite.
Email can be ignored/deleted/lost - pick up the phone.
Letters can be ignored/deleted/lost - pick up the phone.

Pick up the phone guys, talk, "squeaky wheel gets the oil"

CB2

I actually went to MB Cambridge first, had to push a couple of times there, but ultimately fobbed off. MB HQ response was, to sum up "Whilst I appreciate your personal research, we would not class this as a known issue". I've pushed back, but knowing others have had a positive reception at Milton Keynes (Sytner) I'll give them a try

It shouldn't be so painful getting what is clearly a known issue resolved!

Grand Tourismo

I actually went to MB Cambridge first, had to push a couple of times there, but ultimately fobbed off. MB HQ response was, to sum up "Whilst I appreciate your personal research, we would not class this as a known issue". I've pushed back, but knowing others have had a positive reception at Milton Keynes (Sytner) I'll give them a try

It shouldn't be so painful getting what is clearly a known issue resolved!
It's definitely not a known issue, 100% not...yours will be the first and last.

Working to the above laid out structure is the best and correct way, when you went to Cambridge did MB customer service refer you to a dealer for inspection or did you just tip up asking? Because that will get you hoofed out.
Just driving over to MK and asking them to look at it will not likely illicit the correct paper trail needed either.

CB2

No, I phoned Cambridge and booked it in for an inspection (along with a faulty touchpad, which also didn't get resolved). I'll phone MB customer service to escalate tomorrow, and ask them to suggest a better dealer to go to. Thanks for the responses by the way :Thumbs up: