Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cup Holder Console Swap

jbean2567

I posted earlier in a reply thread about us looking to swap our "cup holder less" console out as we were one of the first registered 2017 camper vans and to say its irritating to live with is to say the least.....unless you are blessed with Mr Tickle arms there is no way of putting a cup down whilst travelling... mainly what a camper is meant for...anyways we have managed to get some parts delivered BUT Mercedes managed to get the wrong one of two consoles (bizarrely they claim there is 7 options?) on order and got the same one again...currently a bone of contention as they are trying to blame us for the components we pointed at pictures of and say its our fault that they got the part number wrong ¬¬
....we said we would take the risk and cost on the swap not being possible, not play lottery that Mercedes would actually order the correct console in the first place....watch this space....

Marco Polo Console.png

Ian

It certainly looks like from that diagram that there is a duplicate part number. Number 400 appears to refer to both the 'old' shape and 'new' shape exterior shell.

jbean2567

It certainly looks like from that diagram that there is a duplicate part number. Number 400 appears to refer to both the 'old' shape and 'new' shape exterior shell.

Truly...this was apparent to them for when ordering, they tell me they did not use my reg or vin to identify our Camper so you would think in case of doubt that Mercedes would check with the dealer first if unsure or at the very least choose to send the latest console for 2018 not 2017.....‍♀️...You just get used to this level of fail sadly in my experience this last year.

Paul Merritt

We purchased a new MP on the last day of October 2017, thinking that we had the latest edition only to discover recently that there was a couple of upgrades in June 2017 of which the cup holder was one. It has become very apparent that the retailers do not know what they are selling when it comes to the Marco Polo, being told by the very dealer we purchased from when we had a problem "we don't sell those!" When we returned the van under warranty to have the awning fixed was told "You had better take it to however fitted it" until we pointed it out in the Mercedes catalog.
Our advice to anybody who is going to buy a new Marco Polo, check with a few dealerships to see if they have ever sold one and have knowledge to deal with any after sales problems.

jbean2567

Update.....

So we went ahead and got them to order the correct console based on a newer registration than ours (thank you Carol & Robert) and that arrived today! - its our intention in the next couple of weeks to try and swap them over so I will post back for those interested know the outcome as soon as :)
...on a positive note Mercedes saw some sense (I threw a hissy fit and stomped) and they refunded us back most of the incorrect part (for their ineptness)

Reactions: Ian

jbean2567

Hi - wondering how the swap went? Keen to hear how you got on as thinking of doing similar myself...

Cheers.

Yes! worked like a dream aside from all the extra parts Mercedes made us buy and then wont take back! I think the actual cost is approx £250 (apologies was £150 but I noticed I had priced with the original console that was incorrect and had to be exchanged - their error!) and a little effort if you are handy?

Last edited:

Ian

Which of the parts from the diagram you originally posted did you actually need ordering? I looks like perhaps if you order one of the particular parts then some others get included? Did you have to unplug or do any messing around with the electrical bits in the console (e.g. the usb ports or the main control panel)? Any advise on the steps involved would be much appreciated. I'm very keen to swap this over as you've shown this is possible.

Ooh! Ooh! I am keen to do this also.
I enquired at my local MB dealer this week and they can do swap.
Parts £450 +vat
Fitting 2 hours at £120+ vat per hour!
Expensive cup holder!

jbean2567

Apologies to anyone that asked as I have misplaced the paperwork for the parts!
Yes the parts did come out more expensive than initially hoped as we had to buy double the amount of parts instead of Mercedes being helpful and having a list of parts - we did spend the same kind of amount and they wouldn’t refund the ones we did’nt use! but it was easy to remove and replace it all with light supervision so done much cheaper on the labour...if you put up the list Mercedes provided, we should be able to give guidance on the parts as to what may or may not be required?

Last edited:

ding33

Keen to do this also - so far dealer (Epsom) has not been particularly helpful - have ordered wrong part once and have now refused to fit ‘because they don’t have required retrofit instructions’... So keen to do myself if they can get right part. Just to confirm - did you do this yourself and was it simple? Anything to look out for?

Carol

Apologies to anyone that asked as I have misplaced the paperwork for the parts!
Yes the parts did come out more expensive than initially hoped as we had to buy double the amount of parts instead of Mercedes being helpful and having a list of parts - we did spend the same kind of amount and they wouldn’t refund the ones we did’nt use! but it was easy to remove and replace it all with light supervision so done much cheaper on the labour...if you put up the list Mercedes provided, we should be able to give guidance on the parts as to what may or may not be required?
Hello , i am having diesel heater fitted under the passenger seat. So wonder if you could send me photo of seat base louvre ,where heat comes from. I will use to order the appropiate part. amny thanks , Robert

ding33

I am now the proud owner of this! Only issue is that I am missing some bits. Any ideas which ones, referring to the diagram earlier in this thread? Also doesn’t seem to be a hole for the aux electric panel - did you have to cut one?4FB17A0F-16C7-49BB-A75A-33C90F85073D.jpeg

Attachments

• E537FAE1-EA23-42D8-B12A-24449CC99D09.jpeg
    E537FAE1-EA23-42D8-B12A-24449CC99D09.jpeg
    378.8 KB · Views: 22
I have finally tracked down all the parts and part numbers needed to do this. I will try and document it all once it is done...

Reactions: Ian

ding33

Hi the only part I couldn't find / get hold of was the support box for the aux electrics panel. My solution was to cut a panel to fit (from the back of an old TV stand cover I had lying around, which was similar plastic) and then attach at the sides with a glue gun initially and then black Sugru more permanently and so it looked cleaner.

Also had to drill a hole under the rubber matt that sits under that panel for the plug / wire for the panel and cut the mat slightly for the wire.

The main parts required per the diagram above were 400 (the roller version as the other version is also 400!), 430 and 440 (rubber mats that sit in the bottom of the compartments), 420 (the cup holders which clip in to the main body), 510 (a blanking plate which is required). 450 and 490 are the same between both units so I just re used the old ones. 720 I think is an ash tray which I didn't need. 550, 560, 570 and 580 - these are all supports for the roller unit, but to fit them you would need to cut away the carpet and so I didn't bother. The unit sits fine over the carpet and doesn't rattle or shake - it clips in to the dash anyway and is screwed in at the sides. I suspect not cutting the carpet loses me around 1-2cm of being able to roll back the roller cover as it stops just short of fully open but this doesn't bother me at all in practice.

Hope this helps and good luck if you are doing this - let me know if you track down the proper support for the panel as Mercedes and even Westfalia denied all knowledge of it existing!