Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Condensation

funkyegg

Hi all,

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas. We took our MP to the Cotswold for its first camping trip just before Christmas and it was great. However, we did notice a lot of condensation built up inside the van, especially inside the front windscreen. We were only using the front curtain provided without any thermal covers. Could this be the reason? I know increasing ventilation would help but it's not practical to sleep with a window open during the winter. Anyone has any helpful tips? Cheers

Polokev

Administrator
You could try wind deflectors these allow you to leave the front windows slightly open. Also an external thermal cover will really help. But the only way to stop it completely is stop breathing.

mptripsaway

Hi all,

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas. We took our MP to the Cotswold for its first camping trip just before Christmas and it was great. However, we did notice a lot of condensation built up inside the van, especially inside the front windscreen. We were only using the front curtain provided without any thermal covers. Could this be the reason? I know increasing ventilation would help but it's not practical to sleep with a window open during the winter. Anyone has any helpful tips? Cheers

We've had the same issue to varying degrees especially during very cold weather. We also only use the curtain supplied so there is very little insulation. To clear it in the morning I tend to unfix the curtain from the bottom and allow it to hang whilst running the A/C directed at the screen for a couple of mins.... works a treat.

Katie

We’ve had a caravan for many years and found the best solution was plenty of ventilation plus heating on if it was cold. Opening two windows a crack opposite each other seemed to work best. I think some interior or external screens at the front would help - the ones I’ve seen supplied it’s the mp are a joke for a van that expensive

funkyegg

Good to see people sharing their experiences;) I might get a set of the external thermal cover for the windscreen and two front side windows, any good ones at decent prices?

On a separate topic, I also learned from the VW forum that it is not recommended to have the roof up while it's raining which is rather inconvenient given the English weather. Does this apply to the MP as well? Also, it was pretty windy while we were camping over Christmas and we had to get the roof down as we weren't sure if it could handle the strong wind. Does everyone do the same? Cheers:D

mptripsaway

Good to see people sharing their experiences;) I might get a set of the external thermal cover for the windscreen and two front side windows, any good ones at decent prices?

On a separate topic, I also learned from the VW forum that it is not recommended to have the roof up while it's raining which is rather inconvenient given the English weather. Does this apply to the MP as well? Also, it was pretty windy while we were camping over Christmas and we had to get the roof down as we weren't sure if it could handle the strong wind. Does everyone do the same? Cheers:D

External screen cover is top of my new years shopping list for both winter and summer use.

I can't comment on the Cali roof bellows but the MP bellows are waterproof and two layers so there is no issue having roof up in the rain but it is advisable to park with rear of vehicle into the wind or in a sheltered position. In my experience the bellows don't flap about much at all in the wind because they have the sewn in ribbing bars, only you will be able to judge when is the time to lower the roof though!

funkyegg

External screen cover is top of my new years shopping list for both winter and summer use.

I can't comment on the Cali roof bellows but the MP bellows are waterproof and two layers so there is no issue having roof up in the rain but it is advisable to park with rear of vehicle into the wind or in a sheltered position. In my experience the bellows don't flap about much at all in the wind because they have the sewn in ribbing bars, only you will be able to judge when is the time to lower the roof though!
Thanks Braysaway:Thumbs up:

Katie

Could someone tell me the advantages of the external window cover over the internal (other than keeping ice off the windscreen)?
Braysway - I didn't realise the bellows comprised two layers - useful to know. There must still be some possibility of moisture wicking through to the inside though as the mp guide warns of this when using the upper bed. But it does sound as the whole bellows set up is better than the vw california!

Polokev

Administrator
Hi Katie the external thermal screens work better than internal mainly because the external ones fit better and leave no gap between the cover and the glass.The internal ones unless they are a very good fit like the brandrup ones will leave a gap between the cover and the windscreen the difference in temperature causes the condensation. I hope this helps

Katie

Thanks v much. I’ve not even got the van yet but asking all sorts of questions!
Already bought hook up cables plus adaptors, Cadac safari chef 2 - brilliant, collapsible kettle for Xmas, miniature dustpan and brush, collapsible colander and exped dry sack for duvet. These things are based on experience as a caravanner and also because I can hardly stand the six month wait for the van!

mptripsaway

Could someone tell me the advantages of the external window cover over the internal (other than keeping ice off the windscreen)?
Braysway - I didn't realise the bellows comprised two layers - useful to know. There must still be some possibility of moisture wicking through to the inside though as the mp guide warns of this when using the upper bed. But it does sound as the whole bellows set up is better than the vw california!

The bellows were sold to me as a double skin, hence the dark outer and light inner with the ribbing sewn in, the book does say not to lean against the bellows in heavy rain as it may damage the waterproofing and allow moisture into the vehicle, it also says not to lower the roof when wet but I don't see how that can be avoided.
I am told that the external screen is better at keeping the van cool in the summer by stopping the windscreen from getting hot and radiating into the cab.

Edit: Had a good look and it looks like "second skin" is just a waterproof coating unless someone knows different?

Last edited:

Katie

Yes - sometimes you’ll have to lower the roof when the bellows are wet, but as long as you dry them out within a few days by raising the roof again, you won’t get mildew. I have always had German vehicles and love the way they warn against any possibility however unlikely. It gives me a sense of security and trust in their products!

Wilnx005

Administrator
Staff member
We may need some volunteers in January - to take a few pictures of the external screen cover - we'll have the black one pictures below and the standard reflective silver both sides....will keep you posted. My own experience it the externals are far better than internals - but each to their own. I'm hearing reports of the factory curtains are having issues going moldy if not dried out correctly.

funkyegg

We may need some volunteers in January - to take a few pictures of the external screen cover - we'll have the black one pictures below and the standard reflective silver both sides....will keep you posted. My own experience it the externals are far better than internals - but each to their own. I'm hearing reports of the factory curtains are having issues going moldy if not dried out correctly.

Happy to help if I'm around that day

alisonk

The bellows were sold to me as a double skin, hence the dark outer and light inner with the ribbing sewn in, the book does say not to lean against the bellows in heavy rain as it may damage the waterproofing and allow moisture into the vehicle, it also says not to lower the roof when wet but I don't see how that can be avoided.
I am told that the external screen is better at keeping the van cool in the summer by stopping the windscreen from getting hot and radiating into the cab.

Edit: Had a good look and it looks like "second skin" is just a waterproof coating unless someone knows different?

We've had our roof up in allsorts of weather and just dry it out when we get home. If it is raining hard then sometimes a light spray will come in through the vents. To have a look at the fabric look around the zips for the side vents and can normally see some fabric layers there as ours is two bonded layers. I did reproof our roof once with Fabsil (tent reproofing), and I've had to treat the odd bit of mildrew with milton or bicarb of soda/vinegar. On our (old) van there is a metal strip running along the base of the roof and this often has condensation on it, so even though the fabric itself is dry its quite easy to close the roof not realising the strip is still wet.

For screens we ended up with internal ones something like http://www.johnscross.co.uk/motorhome-internal-silver-thermal-screens.html we only use them in the winter, in the summer when we are somewhere hot like S. France then we often leave the curtain up all day to keep the van shaded.

BabaJen

There is no problem with having the roof up in rain on either the Cali or the MP. Both are designed to work in all weathers. I was in driving rain for four days last week without any water ingress. You may get capillary water ingress if you rub against the fabric when wet, same as any other tent, and you may, in very driving rain, get spray through the vents,

As for lowering when wet, well... sometimes you just have to unless you want to extend your holiday by the length of the monsoon period. :) As long as it's dried out at the earliest possible opportunity then all should be fine.

Condensation will be an issue wherever you have cold surfaces and people or animals breathing, and it will not just be condensation where you can see it but condensation on all the cold van surfaces including the van body where you cannot see it, behind cupboards etc. I have used an external screen, such as silver screens , which prevents windscreen condensation plus also insulates the van a little more. Keeping a draught going, such as leaving the front windows open a crack, is also a good practice,

Last edited:

funkyegg

There is no problem with having the roof up in rain on either the Cali or the MP. Both are designed to work in all weathers. I was in driving rain for four days last week without any water ingress. You may get capillary water ingress if you rub against the fabric when wet, same as any other tent, and you may, in very driving rain, get spray through the vents,

As for lowering when wet, well... sometimes you just have to unless you want to extend your holiday by the length of the monsoon period. :) As long as it's dried out at the earliest possible opportunity then all should be fine.

Condensation will be an issue wherever you have cold surfaces and people or animals breathing, and it will not just be condensation where you can see it but condensation on all the cold van surfaces including the van body where you cannot see it, behind cupboards etc. I have used an external screen, such as silver screens , which prevents windscreen condensation plus also insulates the van a little more. Keeping a draught going, such as leaving the front windows open a crack, is also a good practice,

Thanks BabaJen. It's great to have someone like you, an experienced VW camper van owner to share your experience and provide guidance/advice. I presume you are the GrannyJen, the proud owner of Albert and Alfie from the VW forum? If yes, I love reading and following your posts. Well written and comical. I hope other VW owners are just like you, sharing unbiased views towards VW and Merc. Keep them coming please :Thumbs up: