Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

AdBlue

pumpsmynads

The last couple of times I have filled up my Adblue I used an Adblue pump at a garage. It it easier and less mess. There are a few garages that have it on the pumps but a local truck fuel stop normally has it. My local motorway service station has an Adblue pump for lorries on the lorry forecourt. The local motorway service station asks for my card before filling. Last time I filled up just before Christmas it was £1.70 a litre. The lorry Adblue pump does fit the Adblue tank and cuts out when the tank is full. I do double check that I have picked up the Adblue pump and am filling the Adblue tank as it would be easy to make a mistake I am not sure if there is a system to prevent you putting Adblue in the Diesel tank and vis a versa.
Thanks. The shell nearest to home has an adblue pump so I’ll be calling in there later today.

pumpsmynads

Thanks. The shell nearest to home has an adblue pump so I’ll be calling in there later today.
The shell garage website lied. They had 10l for £36 in a plastic drum.
I got 3x 3.5l (10.5l) pouches from Halfords for £20. and put them all in.
Reading per pouch went from 29% to 43% to 60% to 76%. So the tank clearly holds more than 11 litres.
I’ll order some more pouches and use one more and have a couple ready for future.

Steve B

Thats good value for small packages, the 10 ltr plastic container's are about £23 currently. The price has risen dramatically with the Kremlin war tax now on, it used to be £14 /10 ltr. I did use a pump for my previous car as I was then doing very high mileage, but I found the area and kit messy (not great in a suit - remember them!), the kerb to protect the pump was high and my filler was on the drivers door side so getting out was awkward, and it ran fast so I would always get a spillage. All first world problems :), but now I don't do the mileage I'm back to plastic containers.

D

DogWagen

VIP Member
Reading per pouch went from 29% to 43% to 60% to 76%. So the tank clearly holds more than 11 litres.
Some do...my 2019 MP had a 20-odd litre tank - only found out when I topped up with 5 litres and the guage only increased by roughly 25%!!

RobT

Thanks Andy it was nice of you to reply. I was just a bit concerned, never having had Ad Blue on previous vehicles until the MP, now I can go ahead with the refill. The 5 litre containers are pretty heavy so I am hoping I don't spill any. I had no idea how big the tank was so thanks again for mentioning it.

Kind Regards Pete.
If this is of any help, I buy the 3.5 litre pouches from Halfords. They seem an okay price and they are about the right size to a) top up to take the annoying message away when you still have 1,000 miles of usage! and b) are easy to store. Oh and they are also easy to pour in re paintwork and skin comments earlier.

Method7

We have all spent £50000 + on an mp do you really need to worry about the price of adblue
LOL, I was thinking much the same about servicing costs and the options we have there. How those choices will over time, come back to bite - even possibly effect value.

In my opinion adBlue is a scam - just water and urea (30%) that piggybacks conveniently off an even bigger scam - the domestic use of Diesel engines all wrapped up in a nice and environmentally friendly package..

So yes, I didn't spend £50+k for my new MP and Im happy to pay as little as possible for consumables regardless of consumption, I think i have used 20L of adBlue in nearly 5 years... but 20L of wee wee - literally

J

j200george

VIP Member
On my recent trip to the Lake District my adblue warning came on whilst on the M6. Checked the menu and it show just over 50% left. Given that the car was serviced in February and was full some 3000 miles ago I reckoned there was no rush. Besides I had bagged some adblue from Costco and although I can’t recall the cost recognised it at the time as cheap as chips. It was at home however. Garages were about £36 for a massive container, that and the sheer bloody space the thing would take up in the van on holiday made my decision for me.

reason for post is two fold. The warning binged rather annoyingly in the van even when camped up (I think as we opened doors, even with the key out!) and I did bizarrely notice that on the way home the level actually had RISEN in car! Not sure if this was temperature related or not.

Anyway, point to note is check the levels BEFORE you leave home for a holiday.

back home now and all topped up ready for our next adventure in two weeks.

Steve B

Agree the warning is constant, and with the aux heater the tank is quite small so filling is more frequent.

Ian

Yeah the calibration is super annoying. As it can go more than 3000 miles on the first half a tank but then starts pinging at every opportunity claiming it’s about to run out with the remaining half a tank left. We’ve found it even pings in the night when we’re sleeping in it and everything is locked and turned off. I’m resigned to just keeping it topped up and making sure it’s full before every significant long distance camping trip.

splashrun

You are supposed to never fill the adblue tank with less than 4 liters. This is to keep the quality of the adblue intact. Adblue is, like drinking water, prone to go "bad". If you keep adding a liter to it, some parts of your tank will get too old.
Also, adblue is, well, ureum (the smelly part of urine, yes) in deminiralized water. It leaves stains, but it is quite harmless.