Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

AdBlue

I have just had a dashboard notification that my AdBlue needs tipping up. I have purchased two 5 litre tubs via Amazon but since I have never had this happen before I wondered if there is anything I should be aware of before re-filling the tank. Any advice or experience would be much appreciated. The dashboard message directed me to the handbook, which was not very helpful other than to indicate the type of AdBlue appropriate for the van.

Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
Hi Pete,

There is nothing special about adding the AdBlue. It is straight forward as long as you take care when handling it. You do not want to get it on skin (so wearing gloves is recommended) and avoid where possible spilling it on to paint (wipe of any excess as soon as you can).

On a point of interest, it is my understanding that the MP has an AdBlue tank half the size of a regular V Class car (the MP tanks holds around 11 litres of AdBlue). What I have noticed as a result of this is that my MP reports an “add AdBlue” message when it is still showing half full. On a normal V Class this would be when it was a quarter full (i.e. when the tank level had dropped to around 5 litres - however on an MP this is at the half full point). I hope this is making sense !!

Good luck adding the AdBlue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveR

As previously mentioned: Try to avoid spillages onto paintwork and if you do, clean it up as soon as practical.
For your information in case you were unaware, you don't have to wait for the warning light to top up as you can check (say before a long trip) the level via the Service menu on the steering wheel controls

Hi Pete,

There is nothing special about adding the AdBlue. It is straight forward as long as you take care when handling it. You do not want to get it on skin (so wearing gloves is recommended) and avoid where possible spilling it on to paint (wipe of any excess as soon as you can).

On a point of interest, it is my understanding that the MP has an AdBlue tank half the size of a regular V Class car (the MP tanks holds around 11 litres of AdBlue). What I have noticed as a result of this is that my MP reports an “add AdBlue” message when it is still showing half full. On a normal V Class this would be when it was a quarter full (i.e. when the tank level had dropped to around 5 litres - however on an MP this is at the half full point). I hope this is making sense !!

Good luck adding the AdBlue.

Thanks Andy it was nice of you to reply. I was just a bit concerned, never having had Ad Blue on previous vehicles until the MP, now I can go ahead with the refill. The 5 litre containers are pretty heavy so I am hoping I don't spill any. I had no idea how big the tank was so thanks again for mentioning it.

Kind Regards Pete.

As previously mentioned: Try to avoid spillages onto paintwork and if you do, clean it up as soon as practical.
For your information in case you were unaware, you don't have to wait for the warning light to top up as you can check (say before a long trip) the level via the Service menu on the steering wheel controls
Hi Steve.

Thanks. I really appreciate the advice given me via the Club Site. I was unaware that the Service menu showed this info so thank you for going to the trouble of mentioning it. This is my first warning of anything to do with Ad Blue, so I am much happier now.

Kind Regards Pete.

Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
Not a problem Pete. Enjoy your MP - you’ve made an excellent choice !!

PeteS

Just make sure you clean up any split Adblue. I use a damp paper towel on the car and water on the drive. Any split Adblue that dries will leave white deposits. The cheaper containers are supplied with just a tube which screws onto the container so you have to be careful not to overfill it. Some of the more expensive containers seem to have a automatic shut off to prevent overfilling. The Mercedes branded one does but a litre of that is about the same as 5 litres of the cheaper stuff. I think you can also get funnels that do a similar thing.
One thing to remember is that if you run out of Adblue the next time you try to start the car it won’t start. Also my car had a fault with the Adblue system where I filled the car with Adblue but the indicator did not register it. A trip to Mercedes was required the parts needed to carry out the repair were on back order and my dealer told me some of the cars are waiting up to 4 months for the parts. Luckily the parts for my V Class became available within the week maybe because my car was under warranty and they would have had to hire me a car until mine was fixed. I believe it needed two Nox sensors. So just check that the Adblue registers on the display once you have filled it up.

SteveR

....The cheaper containers are supplied with just a tube which screws onto the container so you have to be careful not to overfill it. Some of the more expensive containers seem to have a automatic shut off to prevent overfilling. The Mercedes branded one does but a litre of that is about the same as 5 litres of the cheaper stuff. I think you can also get funnels that do a similar thing....
Yep. My suggestion would be to buy a 1L with the automatic valve and 5L of the cheaper stuff. Just refill the 1L container from the 5L when empty

Just make sure you clean up any split Adblue. I use a damp paper towel on the car and water on the drive. Any split Adblue that dries will leave white deposits. The cheaper containers are supplied with just a tube which screws onto the container so you have to be careful not to overfill it. Some of the more expensive containers seem to have a automatic shut off to prevent overfilling. The Mercedes branded one does but a litre of that is about the same as 5 litres of the cheaper stuff. I think you can also get funnels that do a similar thing.
One thing to remember is that if you run out of Adblue the next time you try to start the car it won’t start. Also my car had a fault with the Adblue system where I filled the car with Adblue but the indicator did not register it. A trip to Mercedes was required the parts needed to carry out the repair were on back order and my dealer told me some of the cars are waiting up to 4 months for the parts. Luckily the parts for my V Class became available within the week maybe because my car was under warranty and they would have had to hire me a car until mine was fixed. I believe it needed two Nox sensors. So just check that the Adblue registers on the display once you have filled it up.
Hi Pete.

Thanks very much for the information and advice. I am amazed at the helpful replies and very grateful.

Method7

I remember the first time I needed to top up, I was in the Highlands and the guy at the garage was very excited to see someone, he came out with me carrying my coffee.. 5L container poised he said don’t worry about spilling it because you will anyway, I looked round and he was holding a watering can, he said just put the cap on and wash it away with this, it’s funny stuff and turns to crystals that can prevent you from opening it if you don’t wash it down.
He was right.. there is nothing special about addBlue it’s just urea and deionised water.

DPS20K

Anybody know how long it is between the first message saying to top up adblue and the point where you can’t start the vehicle? I know it depends driving conditions but an approximate idea would be helpful as I’m pretty remote at the moment!

SteveR

Anybody know how long it is between the first message saying to top up adblue and the point where you can’t start the vehicle? I know it depends driving conditions but an approximate idea would be helpful as I’m pretty remote at the moment!
No idea on mileage but you can monitor the level through your service menu in your dash. Might keep you a little less anxious until you get to a petrol station (most sell adblue)?

Method7

I think the first message is when the tank is ~50% you probably have weeks of driving before you run out. As @SteveR says you can read the level on your dash menu.

DPS20K

Thanks for the replies. I was just worried I might only have 50 miles or so. It was on just over quarter of a tank and managed to get a 5 litre container of Adblue. That took it to half full so I’m guessing my 2021 V300 has the 20ltr tank rather than the 11ltr.

Gedtin

Hi guys just a couple thoughts that I didn’t see mentioned here. The Marco sometimes has a smaller adblue tank fitted if you have opted for one of the auxiliary heaters. And I have found that if you have the ignition switched on (not running) then you can see the level indicator on the dash reflect the new level.

pumpsmynads

By way of some data for others to compare their findings with, I have just had the Adblue warning come on.
The app says I have 29% remaining. I have done 6,500 miles.

PeteS

The last couple of times I have filled up my Adblue I used an Adblue pump at a garage. It it easier and less mess. There are a few garages that have it on the pumps but a local truck fuel stop normally has it. My local motorway service station has an Adblue pump for lorries on the lorry forecourt. The local motorway service station asks for my card before filling. Last time I filled up just before Christmas it was £1.70 a litre. The lorry Adblue pump does fit the Adblue tank and cuts out when the tank is full. I do double check that I have picked up the Adblue pump and am filling the Adblue tank as it would be easy to make a mistake I am not sure if there is a system to prevent you putting Adblue in the Diesel tank and vis a versa.