Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

12v to 220v inverter

Method7

USB-C is a complex beast. Many laptops do charge over USB-C, but they often use 9V, 15V and 20V as well as 5V. A normal 5V smartphone USB-C charger won't work with them.
That’s a fair point.. you do need a USB-c source, they are easily available on Amazon and eBay.

Ronn

That’s a fair point.. you do need a USB-c source, they are easily available on Amazon and eBay.
Yes, but the point is with the engine off I only have two USB outlets with not enough power.
With the engine running I use a small portable inverter and the regular laptop charger. That works fine.

Ronn

Hi there,

New member too. I have a 2017 Marco Polo and installed a 230VAC inverter a couple of years ago:

View attachment 1777

I installed the inverter between the driver seat (notice, it's an LHD van) and the sink because
  • Routing really thick wires to the leisure battery is a mess if the inverter is placed far away. Also, it's better to keep these cables as short as possible.
  • It can be easily removed if needed. The inverter is supported by two screws to an aluminum plate, and it can be removed without leaving visible holes.
  • We carry a small bin right in front of the inverter, so that corner was wasted space anyway.

I used a forklift battery connector and routed the cables as directly as possible:

View attachment 1779

After removing a bit of plastic from the side cover to make room for the cables, these are not visible from outside except for a 1cm slit at the rear of the seat (see bottom right of the picture):

View attachment 1780

Quite happy so far. We disconnect the inverter when not in use, but often leave it on overnight charging laptop, cameras and drone batteries.
Nice solution. Apparently the inverter doesn't drain the leisure battery too much. This might work for me. Thanks a lot!

Webbah

Nice solution. Apparently the inverter doesn't drain the leisure battery too much. This might work for me. Thanks a lot!
I bought an EcoFlow Delta which has an internal 1,800 watt and 3,300 watt burst inverter integrated. It's an amazing piece of kit! Can be charged to 80% with a 220v socket in about 1 hour (charges at 1,200 watts!), with solar, or finally with a 12v socket. My plan is to install Solar on the MB and then use the EcoFlow Delta for any high output electric appliances, charging e-bikes, laptops, using an AirFryer, electric kettle, etc. Then have the solar charge both the leisure battery and Delta during the day. One of the best things I ever bought!

enano

I bought an EcoFlow Delta which has an internal 1,800 watt and 3,300 watt burst inverter integrated. It's an amazing piece of kit! Can be charged to 80% with a 220v socket in about 1 hour (charges at 1,200 watts!), with solar, or finally with a 12v socket. My plan is to install Solar on the MB and then use the EcoFlow Delta for any high output electric appliances, charging e-bikes, laptops, using an AirFryer, electric kettle, etc. Then have the solar charge both the leisure battery and Delta during the day. One of the best things I ever bought!

Awesome device.
How do you plan to charge the leisure battery using solar? DC-DC charger from the EcoFlow to the leisure battery?

Webbah

Awesome device.
How do you plan to charge the leisure battery using solar? DC-DC charger from the EcoFlow to the leisure battery?
The solar installation is complete with a Victron charge controller, LCD panel, etc. I'm in Switzerland and having CaliSolar install it as they use a kit that does not require them to drill holes in the top or use glue (attaches to the C-rails) so it can be removed easily if desired. I asked them to use a Y Splitter for the MC4 cable in the rear of the MP so I can connect the EcoFlow to that when I want to charge it as well. Alternatively I can charge the EcoFlow from a 12v socket.

Sorry but the link is only in German: https://www.calisolar.ch/produkte-für-mercedes/solaranlagen-m/calisolar-m-marco-polo-v-klasse/

Ondra

USB-C is a complex beast. Many laptops do charge over USB-C, but they often use 9V, 15V and 20V as well as 5V. A normal 5V smartphone USB-C charger won't work with them.
Just insert any quality USB-C adapter into 12V socket. I do power my laptop through it.

I have wondered about DC/AC problem as well because I need to charge my e-bike battery when I am off-grid and there is only an 230V adapter for it.

Adding external inverters is an unefficient way so I bought secondary 1kwh battery that can be charged also through 12V. And it is made up already with inverter that can provide enough power to charge even a leisure battery when i connect it to 230V socket on car from outside. So IT can power the car or can be charged by car or solar panels. I think it's versatile solution. It's not even too big.

And of course, you can take it out of the car.