Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What price roof blisters?

Hyrule

Many posts about roof blisters and potentially a lot of Marcos running out of warranty. So what effect will blisters have on resale values? I havent seen any for sale adverts mention the condition of the roof or if they have been replaced and how many times? Are blisters a serious mechanical fault or a nasty cosmetic issue? If warranty runs out do you then just accept them, keep paying for repairs or just fit a few solar panels to cover over?

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Mechanical fault????

Purely cosmetic so no need to keep paying for repairs.

Hyrule

Thanks for the reply. I agree, but why have so many members here gone for a whole new roof, often with repeat blisters?

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Thanks for the reply. I agree, but why have so many members here gone for a whole new roof, often with repeat blisters?

Because it's for free.

I doubt it'll effect resale value.
It's a problem that's not a problem for some, if it is then it's easy, don't buy a MP

Grand Tourismo

Many posts about roof blisters and potentially a lot of Marcos running out of warranty. So what effect will blisters have on resale values? I havent seen any for sale adverts mention the condition of the roof or if they have been replaced and how many times? Are blisters a serious mechanical fault or a nasty cosmetic issue? If warranty runs out do you then just accept them, keep paying for repairs or just fit a few solar panels to cover over?
Hello Hyrule and welcome along :Welcome:

The "small blisters" are truly that, very small bubbles that appear underneath the paint. They are often no larger than a pimple but some are about the size of the current 5p coin, they are imperfections in the paint and pose no operational risk to the vehicle or roof at all.
Not all MP roofs suffer with the issue, many go unreported as the imperfection is slight and above head height, often times in areas you cannot see without the assistance of a step ladder.

That being said MP owners have often spent in excess of £70k (plus interest in many cases) purchasing their dream camper van, and have waited many months for it to be built and arrive only to find these paint imperfections develop 12, 18 or 24 months into ownership. They have invested heavily in what they believe to be a premium brand, or even THE premium brand of Mercedes Benz and correctly feel let down by the manufacturer.
Imagine if you invest a big chunk of hard earned into your dream car only to find that bubbles appear in the paintwork on the bonnet a year or two into ownership, you might be rightly fed up.

The MP is a truly exceptional vehicle to own and use, the interior is "luxury yacht" style in camper van terms and the V class vehicle interior equipment is excellent in functionality and finish.
We drove back from Devon in a little over 5 hours y'day with a short comfort break around 2 hours in to the journey. We arrived refreshed from our holiday with no aches or stiffness form the journey, I still felt fresh enough to easily empty out the van of all our belongings. (surprising how much you can fit in!)
When you consider you are paying £40-45k (often for a used) converted builders van these days, the prices of the used MP's although strong seem to offer good value for money, irrespective of the roof paint issue.
(having an overnight night heater probably affects the used price more than the paint!)

Blackrat

The "small blisters" are truly that, very small bubbles that appear underneath the paint. They are often no larger than a pimple but some are about the size of the current 5p coin, they are imperfections in the paint and pose no operational risk to the vehicle or roof at all.
Not all MP roofs suffer with the issue, many go unreported as the imperfection is slight and above head height, often times in areas you cannot see without the assistance of a step

Blackrat

The blisters on my roof are definitely not a minor issue. I have the very small dimples that you mentioned but in two places the dimples appear to have burst and the paint is flaking away. It’s got much worse in the small time that we’ve owned the car.
It’s very noticeable and if it continues to deteriorate at the same rate would probably make the car unsellable never mind affecting the value.
This is why we are concerned about the warranty on the replacement roof.

SteveR

Why wouldn't you go for a new roof under warranty? The issue is with the roof not the paint so repainting wouldn't be worthwhile in my opinion

If I had to pay £££ to replace the roof would I bother.... Nope

Grand Tourismo

The blisters on my roof are definitely not a minor issue. I have the very small dimples that you mentioned but in two places the dimples appear to have burst and the paint is flaking away. It’s got much worse in the small time that we’ve owned the car.
It’s very noticeable and if it continues to deteriorate at the same rate would probably make the car unsellable never mind affecting the value.
This is why we are concerned about the warranty on the replacement roof.
Hi Blackrat,
Forgive my post if you think I have understated the issue, truly no insult meant. I am 100% in your camp surrounding this, hence my efforts in pulling together a cohesive body of evidence to present to MB or The Motor Ombudsman if needed.

Try and get as much future warranty, dealer promises or whatever MB offer you in writing Blackrat, just in case...I know it is early days but so far I have not heard of a post October '20 roof failing, fingers crossed the issue is now in hand.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Why wouldn't you go for a new roof under warranty? The issue is with the roof not the paint so repainting wouldn't be worthwhile in my opinion

Around £4000 plus colour coding and fitting? Nor me.

The MP is a truly exceptional vehicle to own and use, the interior is "luxury yacht" style in camper van terms and the V class vehicle interior equipment is excellent in functionality and finish.
We drove back from Devon in a little over 5 hours y'day with a short comfort break around 2 hours in to the journey. We arrived refreshed from our holiday with no aches or stiffness form the journey, I still felt fresh enough to easily empty out the van of all our belongings. (surprising how much you can fit in!)
When you consider you are paying £40-45k (often for a used) converted builders van these days, the prices of the used MP's although strong seem to offer good value for money, irrespective of the roof paint issue.
(having an overnight night heater probably affects the used price more than the paint!)

Didn't know you worked for them now GT :)

Edit @Hyrule does your van have blisters?

Blackrat

Hi Blackrat,
Forgive my post if you think I have understated the issue, truly no insult meant. I am 100% in your camp surrounding this, hence my efforts in pulling together a cohesive body of evidence to present to MB or The Motor Ombudsman if needed.

Try and get as much future warranty, dealer promises or whatever MB offer you in writing Blackrat, just in case...I know it is early days but so far I have not heard of a post October '20 roof failing, fingers crossed the issue is now in hand.
Hi GT
Not insulted at all and I applaud you for your efforts so far.
I was just trying to make the point that the tiny blisters do get much worse!
So far all MB UK will say is that my replacement roof will be under warranty for the duration of the car’s 3 year warranty.
Hopefully you are right and the new roof will be fine but if not I wouldn’t hesitate to invoke the consumer rights act. It’s a shame that this would be against my supplying dealer as it’s not their fault.
In the meantime we will continue to enjoy what is as you say a lovely vehicle. The MP with a caravan really is the perfect combination.

Grand Tourismo

Didn't know you worked for them now GT :)
We have become all misty eye'd by our recent trip to N Devon...must have been the squirty cream on the scones!!

Seriously though SBD, the MP has genuinely helped us to take a first tentative step out of a year of personal lockdown at home, can't rate it highly enough.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
We have become all misty eye'd by our recent trip to N Devon...must have been the squirty cream on the scones!!

Seriously though SBD, the MP has genuinely helped us to take a first tentative step out of a year of personal lockdown at home, can't rate it highly enough.

Yes I know, all that matters is that it puts a smile on your face:Thumbs up:

I'm having a few things done to mine so it looks like I finally get rid of the Columbus next Friday:Banana Dance

Hyrule

I have 6 mths left on warranty and a few small blisters. I am put off a replacement by the number of reported cases where the van has been away for weeks, replacement roof leaks, damage to van paintwork and then the new roof blisters again. I am trying to be pragmatic and whilst of course there is a principal involved, in reality, is it worth going for a new roof? Im not looking for others to decide for me, just wonder if the replacement process is actually worth it.

SteveR

I have 6 mths left on warranty and a few small blisters. I am put off a replacement by the number of reported cases where the van has been away for weeks, replacement roof leaks, damage to van paintwork and then the new roof blisters again. I am trying to be pragmatic and whilst of course there is a principal involved, in reality, is it worth going for a new roof? Im not looking for others to decide for me, just wonder if the replacement process is actually worth it.
In my opinion 100% yes if you are under warranty (see my previous reply). At the very least just go and report the issue to the dealership so that it is recorded while still under warranty. You then have the option either way.

As a side note. I have no doubt that all of the things that you mentioned have occurred but keep in mind that internet forums tend to report bad experiences more than good. My personal experience was following the inspection at the dealership, just waiting for a roof which took a few months but as it's not structural or anything that wasn't an issue. The fitting took a couple of weeks as it was the first one that they had done but I had a nice loan car anyway so again, not an issue. The paintwork was good, the fitting was good and the service was good and that is coming from someone with 20+ years bodyshop experience in a previous life!
Yes, the new roof may blister but if so, I'll cross that bridge if and when I get there

Only you can make the decision of course but my advice would be to go and get your MP inspected. Be firm if necessary but always respectful and courteous and have faith and trust of the service and professionalism you receive. If you don't get that level of service then you are entitled to escalate and go from there
Good luck

Steve B

I waited until the latest batches of roofs to be available, no issues with the fitting, no blisters as yet. I would get it done if you are in warranty.

Carol

Why should we have a substandard product .with roof blisters .If I`d have known about Mercedes poor aftersales and the roof problem. I would have probably spent out my £60,000 plus on another VW. I never had problems with that.
After taking vehicle to dealership so they could check roof serial no ,(which incidently was not where it was stated to be)
I was told last month that bodyshop would be in contact to arrange new roof last month.
Just rang bodyshop ,they know nothing about it.
I raised this with Mercedes ,Milton Keynes and dealership in December last year .
Its a pity as generally aside from the roof the vehicle is excellent, Its the aftersales in the UK that is rubbish.

BurnBabyBurn

This weekend I went to see a prospective Approved Used 19 plate cavansite blue MP, thanks to all the info on here I checked the roof. As you may have guessed it was littered with blisters, the MB dealership was blissfully unaware of the fault. I've not committed to buying the vehicle until I get a guarantee that the roof will be replaced.