Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What price roof blisters?

Grand Tourismo

This weekend I went to see a prospective Approved Used 19 plate cavansite blue MP, thanks to all the info on here I checked the roof. As you may have guessed it was littered with blisters, the MB dealership was blissfully unaware of the fault. I've not committed to buying the vehicle until I get a guarantee that the roof will be replaced.
Hi, good have you on the forum, welcome along :Welcome:

I have no doubt that you will be supported by MB in this concern, but you could try ringing MBUK customer services for confirmation.
(I expect the dealer and MB will say that they would need to inspect the roof prior to making a commitment but so far I don't think anyone with a roof issue within the warranty period has been rejected a repair)

Good luck and happy camping!!

Tony Bartlett

I'm just returning a MP to the dealer for a refund having identified the roof paint blister issue when collecting, and then being informed that this issue is not going to be addressed outside of the standard manufacturers' warranty period, even with a MB Used Car Warranty being in place. So disappointing when you'd expect paint or possibly roof manufacturing processes to be effective for more than 3 years.

Tony Bartlett

In regards to the roof blistering issue, has anyone considered wrapping their roof to prevent or slow the GRP epoxy osmosis issue (if that''s what is causing blistering), particular when stored in humid environments?

Method7

we should rename this thread to roof monkeypox -
Im not sure plastic wrap would make any difference unless you wrapped both sides and even then I doubt it would stop the pox... ours was repaired / replaced under warrantee and with that MB body work gets a 2 year warrantee - so in effect, its covered by both if your manufacturers warrantee is still active.

no sign or a reoccurrence for us as i have been watching closely..

SteveR

In regards to the roof blistering issue, has anyone considered wrapping their roof to prevent or slow the GRP epoxy osmosis issue (if that''s what is causing blistering), particular when stored in humid environments?
The blistering comes from within the fibre glass outwards. Wrapping your roof is like putting a giant sticking plaster on it. Sure, it will temporarily hide it but they'll still be there. I suspect even vinyl wrap would still show them bulging underneath too

Method7

The blistering comes from within the fibre glass outwards. Wrapping your roof is like putting a giant sticking plaster on it. Sure, it will temporarily hide it but they'll still be there. I suspect even vinyl wrap would still show them bulging underneath too
i wonder why there is/are no reports of blistering inside?

Steve B

Ours is fine and its about 18 months since the new roof went on, another 6 months or so and it will be the same age as the old roof that blistered.

Method7

another winter should show any signs :) i think its the cold that causes it - thats when ours started to show..

Steve B

another winter should show any signs :) i think its the cold that causes it - thats when ours started to show..
I was in two minds whether to change it or not as you could hardly see the blisters. If they do come back I'll just live with it as it will match the wear and tear we are seeing on a well used daily driver plus camper (supermarket car door dinks etc)

J

j200george

VIP Member
If these blisters eventually burst and the paint flakes and your option is a whole replacement roof at £4k would a wrap be an idea for the roof itself only? You could get quite funky with the colour choice or graphic. I am fairly sure that this would protect the paint from getting fugly and potentially save the rest of the roof from further degradation.

Method7

yeah that could be fun - not sure i would change the colour but i am wracking my brain for a groovy design... a thatch maybe