Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What bike rack

Gazthediver

Looking for a bike rack probably a one that fits on to a tow bar , anyone one have any recommendations ? Would like one that can be lowered to get tail gate open

jimbo73

jimbo73

VIP Member
ive not got one yet, the reason I got the tow bar fitted on my MP was I planned on getting a Thule one, however I can't stop but look at the tail gate mounted one, I think the look is much better. I did however see a thread on here about a window breaking. Ive very un-decided. Id be keen on hearing peoples thoughts too. And what's the tail gait opening weight if you put a rack on ?

Lamb875

I recently got a Thule:

Works a treat on the MP, and allows a couple of inches clearance to the tailgate once it’s tipped over. Will take 4 road bikes or mountain bikes, with the optional 4 bike attachment. Only issue is that it is quite heavy and very unwieldy. Is much easier to attach to the vehicle with two people...

jimbo73

jimbo73

VIP Member
I recently got a Thule:

Works a treat on the MP, and allows a couple of inches clearance to the tailgate once it’s tipped over. Will take 4 road bikes or mountain bikes, with the optional 4 bike attachment. Only issue is that it is quite heavy and very unwieldy. Is much easier to attach to the vehicle with two people...
Excellent.. making me more and more leaning this way

Gazthediver

Atera Strada DL

Do you have any problems opening the tailgate ?

Gazthediver

I recently got a Thule:

Thanks this is one that is on my list

Ranger67

Do you have any problems opening the tailgate ?
No issues opening the tail gate but as it is a van if you have something like a 29inch Mountain bike with wide handle bars you may need to twist the handle bars around so as not to have the handle bars banging against the back door.

lenju

good morning!!
has anyone had the chance to try the Thule Easyfold XT3??? I have recentrly bought a MB Class V 220. any information will be highly appreciated specially abouth the tailgate clearance.

thank you

GeorgeG

I bought a towbar rack direct from Mercedes in Germany. Amazingly, the carriage was only €7, it took 3 days to arrive and returns were free. It is manufactured by Atera and is pretty much the same as an Atera Evo3, except one of the ‘arms’ is different. Also, it came with a high quality canvas bag for free which is sold as an accessory in the UK for about another £50. At the time of purchase - August 2018 from memory - it was on offer at Mercedes Germany for £100 less than the Atera at the Roofbox Company.
I’ve bought a lot of stuff direct from Mercedes Germany, including flyscreens, Brandrup accessories, etc. There service is quick, efficient and good value. Of course a lot depends on the FEX rate as you have to pay by international bank transfer in Euro.

GeorgeG

I considered Thule, but my local dealer wasn’t convinced any of their models would work with the MP - and he fitted my towbar so he knew the issue with clearance. Personally, I’d be very cautious about buying a Thule, especially by internet without demonstrating that it works.

Gazthediver

A little update on the Thule easyfold xt3 , sadly the tail gate will not open but after after having a good play around I have decided to keep it simple because it folds is nice and easy to put on to the vehicle and packed away nice and neatly

Carol

We got a Pro User Diamant 2 plus, folds up and stores in a large suitcase size bag. Its a bit heavy to carry by hand ,but when fitted is very solid , locks onto towball . Key locks for each bike . I got this specifically so rear door can be opened and it will carry 2 x 21 kilograms e bikes . Very pleased , mine came from Holland bike shop , you need to be careful when buying as you need the plus which gives more clearance so the rear door can open when the bikes are tilted on the rack . Very pleased with this rack

Jamboree

Has anyone tried either of these???
-- Thule - VeloCompact 2
-- Thule - EuroRide 2

I only need to carry 2 bikes,
I'm open to other suggestions --- Thule just is the brand that I'm most familiar with.

I've never (ever) used a hitch/towball mounted rack so I'm trying to learn from all your suggestions above.

I don't know if I need it to fold down to get into the back of the vehicle --- I'm assuming that would be good for me.