Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California owners club

mptripsaway

Visited their forums today and there appears to be more Marco Polo content (including some quite in depth insights) in one thread than on the whole of this forum, a good deal of it from members of this site but none of it replicated on this site for the benefit of MP owners! What's that all about, am I missing something?

anyideas

I think the main thread on VCOC comes quite high up on google when you search for info on the MP. I read the complete thread and added a post as I wanted to add my thoughts why I went for an MP over the Cali. Particularly as I was in a T5 Camper previously and I think the MP is in a different league to the current cali.

Roy C

I added a few posts there before this site got going because there was no other option.. There was lots of activity because the MP caused a stir with some people considering it as an alternative and being objective and others posting knee-jerk negative responses. Although most MP owners and prospective owners have migrated here I guess the traffic does take a little while to ramp up as the ownership grows in the UK. In the meantime I havent thought to replicate my posts since they were often in the context of a longer thread on that forum. Maybe I'll review my contributions there and reconstitute here.

Nick Pye

I added a few posts there before this site got going because there was no other option.. There was lots of activity because the MP caused a stir with some people considering it as an alternative and being objective and others posting knee-jerk negative responses. Although most MP owners and prospective owners have migrated here I guess the traffic does take a little while to ramp up as the ownership grows in the UK. In the meantime I havent thought to replicate my posts since they were often in the context of a longer thread on that forum. Maybe I'll review my contributions there and reconstitute here.
Now making my way there to see what people have contributed.

mptripsaway

Been for another gander at the "sister site" and WOW what a lot of negativity the MP has generated amongst our learned friends! In a way I guess it is to be expected when something comes along to break the status quo and bring an ever so slightly different solution to the question of what makes a great campervan. The Cali is without doubt a great campervan but I have no doubt in my mind that I made the right choice in buying a MP which Is also a great and proven campervan (remember it is only new to the UK market). In my opinion the MP does what the Cali does only in a more luxurious way with a higher spec for the price, better quality fittings and a great driving experience. You pay your money and you make your choice. There is a military maxim which says "Anyone can rough it". Says it all really, enjoy your choices.

anyideas

Agree with you entirely. I have no doubt I would have been happy in a Cali if the MP wasn't in the UK. It is and I'm happier in my choice.

I think the added competition into the UK could be a good thing to both brands, The low level LED, the split worktop and wood flooring are all now either standard or options on the Cali. Would that have been the case if the MP wasn't around to raise the bar?

Wilnx005

Administrator
Staff member
This is the problem with forums sometimes especially when they get large - sort of everyone jumps on the band wagon sometimes without giving it the correct thought. I honestly don't understand the infighting between different VW models too, let alone different manufacturers- are we not all out to enjoy ourselves? I personally like looking round different campers / set ups and like the variety?

BabaJen

It is the lifestyle that matters. We all have different priorities and for some the Cali suits better and for others the MP. However the common theme is that we all enjoy a lifestyle in the most diminutive of vehicles possible which results in a shed load of compromises. Many of the ways how we manage that space and take advantage of the camper concept is common to all campers whether they be conversions or factory produced.

Last edited: