Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

V250 or V300

Cyclinsteve

Hi just about to order a new 300 amg line horizon but got the chance of a 250 same spec other than can no longer order any diesel heater. The 250 has the coolant heater but the new 300 comes standard with a 1.2kw coolant heater powered by the battery I can save a bunch of cash with the 250 . Is the new model worth the extra

I can see the 300 being a smoother drive as it has the engine and 9 speed gearbox from the E Class. However there are some amazing deals out there on the 250D I picked up a new pre-reg 68 plate two weeks ago for £40K

SBW2019

I am also about to buy a 300d AMG. Can I get Mercedes to install a microwave and invertor? If not does anyone know a UK based shop which can do this, please ?

I can vouch for the 9 speed box - got one on my c class and it is amazing. That’s said, our van is the 220 and it drives fine for our needs. We don’t have it as a daily driver but use it for trips and hols only. It coped with trips to Spain and France back loaded up with us and the kids no problem.

Re microwave, I guess the challenge would be where would you put it whilst still having access to the other units whilst allowing the microwave to be usable? You could try and find a custom conversion company - buy a VW camper mag and you’ll find loads of companies in there. Or Might be worth looking at other options on the market, eg going to Westfalia, harbour creek iirc are a dealer. Camping and caravan show in Oct another option.

Not sure how long you be staying in the van re need for a microwave but if considered an awning maybe a small portable microwave on the table in the awning? Another option might be to try a ridge monkey pan which basically is a pan with a lid and seems to cook fast and cuts smoke + fat spits down massively.

heater. worth checking out the purpose of and how long the battery coolant heater works to ensure it meets your needs - ie is it capable of warming up the cabin for a short period or suitable for many hours. And if you are not connected to electricity how long it would last.

If you can get a really good deal on a 250d with heater and options you want I can’t image you’d be disappointed with it.

Do post pics of what you guys end up getting!

pumpsmynads

Just had a look at the brochure online. There is no 250d now. It’s 220d or 300d. And the gap is £4,200 now so quite a step. But big performance step too.

Method7

I would have to drive both because the 300 is a 2L with a massive turbo and as good as they might be in the car range the V-class is a much heavy vehicle, this requires torque rather than a short mind blowing power band ripping up through the 9speed gearbox.

It all sounds rather odd to me, fantastic in a sporty car but how does that translate to a camper van.

The 220 drives well, by all accounts the 250 hasn’t upset anyone so it’s probably safe to say the 300 is going to be fine, by all accounts it’s a much quieter engine and better refined my concern is related to just how busy is it going to be trying to match the narrow power band with one of those 9 gears.

I should just book a test drive.

pumpsmynads

I would have to drive both because the 300 is a 2L with a massive turbo and as good as they might be in the car range the V-class is a much heavy vehicle, this requires torque rather than a short mind blowing power band ripping up through the 9speed gearbox.

It all sounds rather odd to me, fantastic in a sporty car but how does that translate to a camper van.

The 220 drives well, by all accounts the 250 hasn’t upset anyone so it’s probably safe to say the 300 is going to be fine, by all accounts it’s a much quieter engine and better refined my concern is related to just how busy is it going to be trying to match the narrow power band with one of those 9 gears.

I should just book a test drive.

The new 220 and 300 have identical engines with twin turbos. Minimal lag and only tuning state is different. It Isn’t 1995.

Method7

Lol. Doubling down on your wrong assumption that it has a ‘massive turbo’ and thus undriveable.

You still think a Diesel would be fantastic in a sports car too?

I was referring to the fact that for it to be of any use it needs a 9 speed automatic gear box. Assuming we are doing 70mph that’s 1.2 gear changes for every 10mph..

There’s drivability for you.

milesr3

I can see the 300 being a smoother drive as it has the engine and 9 speed gearbox from the E Class. However there are some amazing deals out there on the 250D I picked up a new pre-reg 68 plate two weeks ago for £40K

Where on earth did you find a pre-reg 250d for £40k? They're all at least £10k more than this.

Yes, just upset me. Just paid 52k for 18 plate 250, albeit with 12k extras.
As I said in a previous post... my deal was unusual as it it actually a mid 2017 build that was registered by the dealer on the last working day of 2018... So when I picked it up in June it had been built for 2 years but was still new with protective film and delivery miles. It had a few extras like command and metalic paint but we have to add the centre console and the heater to bring it to 2018 spec. However even with the extra £1700 spend it was still a good deal!