Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upgrade leisure battery

Marty ling

Hi guys, recently bought a 2018 m.p. Just wondering if leisure battery is capable of coping with off grid camping ,
basically only need to run cool box and courtesy lights. Alternatively upgrade to a lithium battery if that’s possible.
have been advised fitting solar panel not too successful. HELP.
cheers marty

Steve B

In my experience, if you are frugal, you can get two to three days of use (as you say, fridge mainly) off grid with the original battery. If you intend three plus days you should consider improving the set up. I always get nervous about getting the roof down if the battery is flat.

enano

Hi guys, recently bought a 2018 m.p. Just wondering if leisure battery is capable of coping with off grid camping ,
basically only need to run cool box and courtesy lights. Alternatively upgrade to a lithium battery if that’s possible.
have been advised fitting solar panel not too successful. HELP.
cheers marty
If you switch to a lithium battery the onboard chargers should be changed as well - at least the AC-DC (from the external 230V) and probably the DC-DC (from the engine alternator). Lithium batteries should not be charged with a charger designed for lead/acid batteries.
The battery level indicator in the centre console will also read wrong values -- but it is not quite right with the standard battery, anyway.

My humble experience with a solar panel has been extremely good. Plus, a lithium battery in ideal conditions gives you more duration while a solar panel in ideal conditions gives you infinite duration.

Marty ling

Thanks guys for your response, I have had a quote to upgrade to lithium for£1800 which seems a little steep given that the battery is £650, so I guess The remainder is to upgrade the chargers and wiring. I think with the roof issues there is a safety feature built in. A bit more research needed I think.
cheers guys

pumpsmynads

Thanks guys for your response, I have had a quote to upgrade to lithium for£1800 which seems a little steep given that the battery is £650, so I guess The remainder is to upgrade the chargers and wiring. I think with the roof issues there is a safety feature built in. A bit more research needed I think.
cheers guys
4AAB7B08-5094-4174-826B-5F988D541809.jpegfyi