Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upcoming solar install

And here is the end product I've used some more tape to hold the wire in the grove on the left of the track and it all fits nice and neat

Attachments

• 20190415_162035.jpg
    20190415_162035.jpg
    995 KB · Views: 134
After using it for the three days away the fridge was on the whole time and it kept the battery full throughout the trip even with the cloud and low sun so I've no doubt any one installing this will be more than happy with it all the info is via Bluetooth and you can tinker with it's settings and history its brilliant geek stuff all the kit required is from roger at solarsolutions cost me 500 ish quid with the victron

Last edited:
Thankyou, Excellent guide, looks relatively easy, been toying with the idea but wondered whether it was a little too much for my DIY skills. Will order and try soon I think.

There is a couple of inches that need to be tucked in yes.but Roger does sell a curly cord for the kit so you could ask for that it's a bit extra tho I chose not to have a curly cord as I think it's more visable it's not a bother and your agm battery will thank you for it lol

Nice detailed write-up Steven!

As for the cable excess, yes, you poke it inside the space between the rear tailgate and the bodywork. Same as on The VW Cali.

I don't yet offer the curley cord for the MP, though I'll add it as an option shorly - just need to see another van and check the measurements. It does add considerable "bulk" visually to the install (thin cable vs round curly cable).

As for the cable excess, yes, you poke it inside the space between the rear tailgate and the bodywork. Same as on The VW Cali.

I don't yet offer the curley cord for the MP, though I'll add it as an option shorly - just need to see another van and check the measurements. It does add considerable "bulk" visually to the install (thin cable vs round curly cable).

Sweet. Just looking at mine and I wonder if it'd work to take the cable from left to right and then back again with some light elastic to pull it to the right. Should give it loads of extra length. I'll try to do a diagram..

Sweet. Just looking at mine and I wonder if it'd work to take the cable from left to right and then back again with some light elastic to pull it to the right. Should give it loads of extra length. I'll try to do a diagram..
Sounds like a good idea I was trying to think of a way of doing just that but ran out of ideas but that's a cracking idea thanks pal

Hi Roger thanks,could I get a small inverter for the load on the victron? and if so which one would work with the thin cables from the battery to the controller?

Znakecharm

Hey guys.
I'm in the process myself to do something similar on my 2006 Marco Polo.
I am a little curious though - does anyone have experience with this kind of solution and the washing machines ????
Do you need to dismount the solar panel to wash your beautifull car ?

Sunny greetings

Jorgen

Znakecharm

Red would be electrical cable. Green would be some very lightweight bungee to tension..
How about installing some kind of bungee in the roof rail - that could retract the cable inside the rail itself.
Imagine a spring attached to the front mounting nut - pulling the cable forward.
In that way, the spring will tension when you pop the roof - and pull the cable in when closing it ?

Don't know if it would work.

For my own solution - in considering a drill in the roof - to pull the cable same way as the reading light in the top sleeping chamber, but I haven't decided yet - it does seem a little brutal. I will however consider the solution with the spring in the roof rail if it can be pulled off.

By the way - if you're ever asked about the older Marco Polos (and I know you have been Roger ;-) )
  • The older Marco Polos have the rubber grommet on the right side of the vehicle
  • The cupboards are on the left side in left hand drive vehicles - yes
More sunny greetings

Jorgen

Znakecharm

These two wires go from the victron to the white plug on the built in van charger connecting using scotch Block connectors
Hey Steven.
Do you by chance have a photo of exactly where you connect the battery cables from the controller ?
Do you draw it all the way to the leisure battery or somewhere closer ?

best regards

Jorgen

Ian

Hey Steven.
Do you by chance have a photo of exactly where you connect the battery cables from the controller ?
Do you draw it all the way to the leisure battery or somewhere closer ?

best regards

Jorgen
You only need to route the cable into the cupboard at the back and then through to under the fridge (all of which is easy). Under the fridge is the 240v mains charger for the leisure battery and you can piggyback on the 12v cable which come out of this. No need to route a cable all the way through to the passenger seat.

Znakecharm

Does anyone know a good cable route from the cupboard under the fridge (left side) to the leisure battery under the passenger seat (right side).
1. I definitely don't want to piggybag in on any existing wires, since as far as I can tell - the charging cable from the 230V AC charger is fused with 5Amps !!!
2. I also need to draw a temperature sensor to the battery compartment, since my controller will use that for optimized charging with respect for battery temperature.

I am however also tempted to place the charger in the small compartment behind the leisure battery along with my existing AC inverter.

best regards

Jorgen

I've bought my van today as an end of lease, so can now modify it...

Few questions to those with the @SolarCamperSolutions mounting hardware in the roof rails:

1) Is it quiet at speed? It looks like it has the potential to whistle at speed depending on the aerodynamics (or lack of!) on the MP.

2) The foam under the panel, is that the whole way round? I'm slightly concerned it might trap moisture and add to the issues we have with the Marco Polo roofs?

3) Is there any reason not to mount the charge controller in the cupboard under the fridge where the other kit is?

Cheers,

Brian

Hi

1) No noise . I've sold hundreds to VW cali owners, and many to MP owners and I've been asked a lot about possible noise, and the verdict is none. I'd have heard about it by now ! :)
2) The foam is only on the front and rear aluminium angle bars, and one strip down the centre it doesn't make an sort of seal, merely protects your paint.
3) No reason not to at all, particularly if you go for one of the bluetooth controllers.

R