Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyres on front wearing on edge and scrubbing on full lock

Method7

Tyres are good and running at 305KPa 45psi… edges still show wear and it still bucks and scuffs on full lock but it’s better had it serviced and told them not to touch the pressures cos I was worried that they would mess with my experiment. To be honest the car has done 11k miles and had three tyres - one puncture and a double blowout in a Scottish pot hole, I don’t think tyres will ever wear out on the MP LOL

Carol

Our 18 AMG MP was scrubbing of both edges while running tyre pressures in the medium range, we had a puncture on the rear and I asked the fitters to fit a pair of new tyres on the front, the same continentals as OEM. I upped the pressure to the max load setting on the fronts and it seems to be wearing slightly better. But it still bucks and pitches on full lock.. trying to avoid using full lock is almost impossible.. I think the car in general suffers this issue due to the rear wheel drive. It’s a heavy motor on flash wheels and low profile tyres.. I would presume the sport has much the same problem and fitting run flats could well alleviate the issue due to the stiffer sidewalls preventing the tyre rolling over on full lock. I have almost accepted this as a de-facto V Class niggle that needs to be monitored.. I’m going to stick for the time being with upping the pressures - even above what MB recommend.
How are the tyres wearing now , what pressure did you put in them , would certainly he as having new Continental tyres fitted on Monday
Tyres are good and running at 305KPa 45psi… edges still show wear and it still bucks and scuffs on full lock but it’s better had it serviced and told them not to touch the pressures cos I was worried that they would mess with my experiment. To be honest the car has done 11k miles and had three tyres - one puncture and a double blowout in a Scottish pot hole, I don’t think tyres will ever wear out on the MP LOL

Carol

many thanks, i will get mine up to 45 psi, on Monday , contisport 5 as originals .
probably good to do rear wheels as well because of weight of vehicle.

Method7

Yep all 4 wheels at 45psi - we have a horizon but I doubt there is much difference.. and to be honest when have you ever had problems with over inflated tyres, I know what the science says, it should wear out the centre first.. never seen that because tyres never go up in pressure I suppose. Also I believe cars roll better on high pressures so you may well notice a improvement in fuel consumption, braking might suffer a little but I haven’t noticed any change there. My old metro city 1000 was scary on high pressures but it was about 20mph faster… and took some planning to stop in the wet. The MP it’s unnoticeable..

Steve B

I put my pressures up to 45 at the end of last year as the fronts were wearing out on the edges. Still got the original fronts on as the pressure change seems to be evening out the wear, no change in handling. Rears replaced at about 18k miles, fronts still just OK at 25k but are now ready to change. I went for Avons on the rear as they had good reviews but were cheaper than other brands. I have found no difference to the original tyres in performance after 7k miles, and have driven in poor weather many times, mpg just the same, noise just the same.

Carol

Yep all 4 wheels at 45psi - we have a horizon but I doubt there is much difference.. and to be honest when have you ever had problems with over inflated tyres, I know what the science says, it should wear out the centre first.. never seen that because tyres never go up in pressure I suppose. Also I believe cars roll better on high pressures so you may well notice a improvement in fuel consumption, braking might suffer a little but I haven’t noticed any change there. My old metro city 1000 was scary on high pressures but it was about 20mph faster… and took some planning to stop in the wet. The MP it’s unnoticeable..
45 all round for me , thank you

Steve B

This thread reminded me to check again on the fronts, and they have now worn out on the outer edges. A little frustrating as they are still legal in the centre, but now at poorer performance/safety levels. Just ordered two more Avons, fitted tomorrow, and will all be at 45.

Carol

Be interested to know how they wear , just getting Continentals fitted today , cost £390 for pair

Steve B

My rears have done about 7k and look new still. Just paid £301 fitted for the front two Avon's, so will see how they do.

ChrisG

Hey everyone...thanks for all the thread above.... My MP on 15K and scrubbing on outside of fronts..nearside worse. New set going on son and will be at 45psi

Steve B

One thing to note on the scrubbing, obvious I know, that caught me out - I was predominantly checking the offside tyre as it is by the drivers door, then a quick feel test of the nearside wear indicators. I did a more thorough check at the weekend and found the very edge of the outside of the tyre (nearside) had the canvas faintly starting to show. The middle still had legal depth, but this clearly made the tyre illegal and unsafe.

Method7

The results after 12 months of 45psi. The fronts were on the rear the rear tyres were new. At the time

Attachments

• D7A5BA81-E593-4DB3-B48A-383BEBD1D3C8.jpeg
    D7A5BA81-E593-4DB3-B48A-383BEBD1D3C8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

Method7

The fronts have done about 11,000 miles and the rears about 3000 - roughly.. we had a double pot hole blowout on the near side when the car was under 1000 miles - and i had a puncture on the rear last summer - had both rears replaced and put on the front and fronts moved to the back.. kept the good tyre for the next incident :)

Steve B

The fronts have done about 11,000 miles and the rears about 3000 - roughly.. we had a double pot hole blowout on the near side when the car was under 1000 miles - and i had a puncture on the rear last summer - had both rears replaced and put on the front and fronts moved to the back.. kept the good tyre for the next incident :)
I remember now, you mentioned that in an earlier thread, you hit something near the verge on a narrow road. It's not a pleasant feeling when a good tyre is written off, they are so expensive - nearly cost as much as a tub of Lurpak butter :). I've got all Avons on now and have done about 500 miles so far and can't tell the difference from the Continentals (noise/handling). Winter weather might be different, and speed of wear.

Steve B

I put my pressures up to 45 at the end of last year as the fronts were wearing out on the edges. Still got the original fronts on as the pressure change seems to be evening out the wear, no change in handling. Rears replaced at about 18k miles, fronts still just OK at 25k but are now ready to change. I went for Avons on the rear as they had good reviews but were cheaper than other brands. I have found no difference to the original tyres in performance after 7k miles, and have driven in poor weather many times, mpg just the same, noise just the same.
Update on this thread for tyre wear. Put Avon's ZX7's 245/45/19 on as replacements for original Continentals as above (Did change the fronts at 25k miles). Tyres have been great, no issues, and run them at 45 psi or a little softer over time. I've booked the rears in for replacement this week as at the wear markers or just above but good even wear. They have done 26k miles so happy with that. The fronts are still good but the very outer edges are heavily worn (especially the off side tyre), still plenty of tread on >75% of the width, but it worries me every time I look! They have done just under 20k miles and MOT later this month so I'll see.