Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling with pooches...

Kiwi Ange

Just wondering if anyone travels with their dog and had any tips for keeping their dog safe and comfy on the journey and also when camping. eg: where do they travel in the van, do you have a specific mat, bed or safety harness for in the van, how do you stop them going into the front, where do they sleep at night if upstairs and downstairs beds are in use. We have some thoughts, but just wondered how seasoned MP campers do it.

Roy C

It really depends how big your dog is but ours is small /medium (cavachon). When we have two in the back we cannot use a tether that fits into the seatbelt so we bought one from Amazon that hooks onto one of the isofix points in the rear bench. This then attaches to the dog’s harness and he sits between the two rear passengers. It is long enough for him to get down into the floor but he never does.

At night he is small enough to sleep in the footwells at the front but since we sleep upstairs he can hop up onto a seat.

Kiwi Ange

It really depends how big your dog is but ours is small /medium (cavachon). When we have two in the back we cannot use a tether that fits into the seatbelt so we bought one from Amazon that hooks onto one of the isofix points in the rear bench. This then attaches to the dog’s harness and he sits between the two rear passengers. It is long enough for him to get down into the floor but he never does.

At night he is small enough to sleep in the footwells at the front but since we sleep upstairs he can hop up onto a seat.
Many thanks Roy.

I designed a solution for our Pom who detests travelling and is forever. being sick when in the rear seats, it works great see pics
9mm MDF cut as shown and covered with black felt
Measure to fit between the front seats spanning the gap and overlapping by about 40mm each side
The slots are for the seatbelts and when the belts are in use they secure the seat in position
I bought the black quilted dog seat from Amazon and it fits a treat

Attachments

• 479194B2-B500-4C0A-B52C-F58302E01160.jpeg
    479194B2-B500-4C0A-B52C-F58302E01160.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • ED884EB5-F81B-4D8E-8D2A-84D2B2DF6EA8.jpeg
    ED884EB5-F81B-4D8E-8D2A-84D2B2DF6EA8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • A80D22E5-D330-43CA-AA73-32BAF4AE0749.jpeg
    A80D22E5-D330-43CA-AA73-32BAF4AE0749.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • 541A09AF-F983-4F17-9BF8-187A019F67D9.jpeg
    541A09AF-F983-4F17-9BF8-187A019F67D9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15

ClaireDe

That looks impressive Mark!

My dog is not small (golden retriever) and he travels in a crate behind the front seats. I put straps over the crate and tether to the rails in the floor. This still leaves lots of space for passengers on the back seat. Thule straps bought from Amazon. Photo below - although now we have a slightly bigger crate as dog has grown!

1598711578276.jpeg

Kiwi Ange

I designed a solution for our Pom who detests travelling and is forever. being sick when in the rear seats, it works great see pics
9mm MDF cut as shown and covered with black felt
Measure to fit between the front seats spanning the gap and overlapping by about 40mm each side
The slots are for the seatbelts and when the belts are in use they secure the seat in position
I bought the black quilted dog seat from Amazon and it fits a treat
Fab set-up! thanks for sharing!!