Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Transporting a dog

GeorgeG

Having been dog free for just over 4 years, having had Springer Spaniels for 18 years before that, I’ve been persuaded by my family (and indeed myself!) to acquire a working cocker spaniel puppy bred by a friend of my daughter.

Although I’ve become used to the advantages of holidaying without dogs, both in a camper van and in hotels across the world, my wife and I have extensive experience, at least in the UK, of taking dogs away on holiday. Unfortunately, my daily runabout is not particularly dog friendly, being a hatchback with a steeply raked rear screen. Consequently, I intend to use the MP as a daily ‘dog truck’ as well as home for Claude when we holiday in the UK (which looks at the moment being for the foreseeable future)

I would be very interested to learn what other dog owners do to accommodate their dogs, when at home and on holiday. When we ran a California the dogs slept in a pop up tent and travelled in the rear on the mattress at parcel shelf height. I think the MP’s ‘shelf’ height is greater And a small dog would need assistance to get in. Also, in view of the fact that working cockers are highly successful escape artists, I wondered if there is a suitable dog/luggage guard available for the rear. I’m reluctant to go along the cage/crate route because of the inconvenience, bulk and nuisance factor.

Any advice gratefully received as usual.

Grand Tourismo

G
Having been dog free for just over 4 years, having had Springer Spaniels for 18 years before that, I’ve been persuaded by my family (and indeed myself!) to acquire a working cocker spaniel puppy bred by a friend of my daughter.

Although I’ve become used to the advantages of holidaying without dogs, both in a camper van and in hotels across the world, my wife and I have extensive experience, at least in the UK, of taking dogs away on holiday. Unfortunately, my daily runabout is not particularly dog friendly, being a hatchback with a steeply raked rear screen. Consequently, I intend to use the MP as a daily ‘dog truck’ as well as home for Claude when we holiday in the UK (which looks at the moment being for the foreseeable future)

I would be very interested to learn what other dog owners do to accommodate their dogs, when at home and on holiday. When we ran a California the dogs slept in a pop up tent and travelled in the rear on the mattress at parcel shelf height. I think the MP’s ‘shelf’ height is greater And a small dog would need assistance to get in. Also, in view of the fact that working cockers are highly successful escape artists, I wondered if there is a suitable dog/luggage guard available for the rear. I’m reluctant to go along the cage/crate route because of the inconvenience, bulk and nuisance factor.

Any advice gratefully received as usual.
Hi George, we have a crate which is a robust textile and roughly 1m x 75cm x 50cm and folds flat to roughly 15cm thick and weighs less than 1kg...this would easily fit under the table & chairs bag in the rear compartment of the MP when not in use and assembled would fit on the back parcel shelf.

I have a feeling that a working cocker will easily scamper up onto the parcel shelf before you get a chance to bend down and pick it up...probably find it in the pop top bed or glove compartment before you know what has happened! :D ...enjoy your new dog sir :Thumbs up:

GeorgeG

G

Hi George, we have a crate which is a robust textile and roughly 1m x 75cm x 50cm and folds flat to roughly 15cm thick and weighs less than 1kg...this would easily fit under the table & chairs bag in the rear compartment of the MP when not in use and assembled would fit on the back parcel shelf.

I have a feeling that a working cocker will easily scamper up onto the parcel shelf before you get a chance to bend down and pick it up...probably find it in the pop top bed or glove compartment before you know what has happened! :D ...enjoy your new dog sir :Thumbs up:
Many thanks GT,

Do you recall the make of your ‘soft’ crate - I hadn’t considered one of those and maybe a good solution. What make of dog goes in yours?

Grand Tourismo

Many thanks GT,

Do you recall the make of your ‘soft’ crate - I hadn’t considered one of those and maybe a good solution. What make of dog goes in yours?
I'll dig it out later on and let you know...we are owned by an aged Cavalier King Charles who is 12... and tearing around the kitchen like a puppy as we speak.
Like you just did, we are trying to get to a dog free break as we lost a dog in Sept. but the way our CKCS is motoring on we will probably end up with another dog soon!

GeorgeG

I'll dig it out later on and let you know...we are owned by an aged Cavalier King Charles who is 12... and tearing around the kitchen like a puppy as we speak.
Like you just did, we are trying to get to a dog free break as we lost a dog in Sept. but the way our CKCS is motoring on we will probably end up with another dog soon!

SteveR

I'm also interested to hear advice and options too. We lost our 14 year old cocker and had been dog free for 4 years. We now have a part Springer, part Cockapoo pup and have been mulling over options for this year. Our previous cocker just used to have his bed on the motorhome floor at the time and generally slept through most journeys. If you are worried about securing your dog but not in a crate there are various leash clips which fit into your seatbelt clamps but we've not tried these at all. I expect we will likely just put his bed on the floor in front of the rear seat for travel and secure his harness to the rail in the seat drawer (previously used to bungee the Peroni in to stop sliding around :))

PeeGee

We have a large Labradoodle and there is no way he could fit into the back. We have a rubber mat we put in front of the rear seat so his bed won’t move around. He travels in a normal harness which has an attachment that clips in where the seatbelt would go. Works very well. Next step is to train him to open the fridge and pass us a cold drink while we’re driving...

KDM

Two German Shepherds here, 70LB female on the left and 100LB male on the right. I wanted a van for them, as SUVs are a bit high for two aging dogs, 7 years going on 8 and a 9 year old. I put Velcro tape strips on the floor and dropped in a €10.00 rubber backed rug from Leroy Merlin, Ikea has a similar one that fits perfectly. Both dogs are clipped into the bench seat seatbelt female connectors; most pet stores carry leashes with seatbelt male clips now. Our female owns the bench, our male can get far enough forward on his lead to have his head between the two front seats. Bench is covered with a Kurgo seat cover with zippered opening for the seatbelts and ties/clips to hold it up via the head rests. This is my seat cover, not my dog. Had it for a year and a half and it is holding up great and seat when wiped down looks like new. Other side is emergency orange. Shake it out weekly, machine wash monthly, more often in wet weather. I have the dogs in the van three times a week. Just for fun:

Attachments

• Kurgo Seat Cover.jpg
    Kurgo Seat Cover.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 8

Grand Tourismo

Two German Shepherds here, 70LB female on the left and 100LB male on the right. I wanted a van for them, as SUVs are a bit high for two aging dogs, 7 years going on 8 and a 9 year old. I put Velcro tape strips on the floor and dropped in a €10.00 rubber backed rug from Leroy Merlin, Ikea has a similar one that fits perfectly. Both dogs are clipped into the bench seat seatbelt female connectors; most pet stores carry leashes with seatbelt male clips now. Our female owns the bench, our male can get far enough forward on his lead to have his head between the two front seats. Bench is covered with a Kurgo seat cover with zippered opening for the seatbelts and ties/clips to hold it up via the head rests. This is my seat cover, not my dog. Had it for a year and a half and it is holding up great and seat when wiped down looks like new. Other side is emergency orange. Shake it out weekly, machine wash monthly, more often in wet weather. I have the dogs in the van three times a week. Just for fun:
Helluva theft deterrent you have there! :D

Reactions: KDM

ClaireDe

One of the (many) reasons we chose the MP was because of the space between front and back seats - we knew the dog couldn't fit in the very back but he's in a crate in the space between seats. We've got a golden retriever so not a small dog but he fits in fine and there is still space for passengers in the back. He doesn't use a crate at home but he's fine using the one in the van. We just left it lying around the house for a bit so he could get used to it.

We tether the crate to the floor - I think I put a photo on a similar post but here it is - he's got a slightly bigger crate now (from Orvis) which folds down. Also great for after muddy walks!

When I was looking for what to buy I found these places useful for ideas:
https://www.innerwolf.co.uk/transporting/ and

Attachments

• DE258303-95D8-40C1-A4A3-4CB8FBEC6678.jpeg
    DE258303-95D8-40C1-A4A3-4CB8FBEC6678.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20

GeorgeG

One of the (many) reasons we chose the MP was because of the space between front and back seats - we knew the dog couldn't fit in the very back but he's in a crate in the space between seats. We've got a golden retriever so not a small dog but he fits in fine and there is still space for passengers in the back. He doesn't use a crate at home but he's fine using the one in the van. We just left it lying around the house for a bit so he could get used to it.

We tether the crate to the floor - I think I put a photo on a similar post but here it is - he's got a slightly bigger crate now (from Orvis) which folds down. Also great for after muddy walks!

When I was looking for what to buy I found these places useful for ideas:
https://www.innerwolf.co.uk/transporting/ and
Very useful link Claire. Much appreciated.

GeorgeG

Thanks KDM.

Reactions: KDM

Grand Tourismo

Many thanks GT,

Do you recall the make of your ‘soft’ crate - I hadn’t considered one of those and maybe a good solution. What make of dog goes in you
Many thanks GT,

I finally found the soft crate in what I laughably call my garage yesterday, it was behind two bikes and under a load of stuff.
Anyway it has no maker name on it, sorry! It must have been one of those generic Amazon purchases.
Have a dig about on the t'internet, I am sure you will find something suitable.

GeorgeG

I finally found the soft crate in what I laughably call my garage yesterday, it was behind two bikes and under a load of stuff.
Anyway it has no maker name on it, sorry! It must have been one of those generic Amazon purchases.
Have a dig about on the t'internet, I am sure you will find something suitable.
Thanks for looking. I’ll probably go for one of the cheap Amazon crates so I can afford to replace it with a larger one when puppy becomes an adult.

Grand Tourismo

IMG_7433.jpg

I can also access the crate through the opening window to pop treats in or provide water etc - could also probably pop the dog in through the window opening if parked up in a tight spot...if she stops eating so much that is!!

SteveR

I can also access the crate through the opening window to pop treats in or provide water etc - could also probably pop the dog in through the window opening if parked up in a tight spot...if she stops eating so much that is!!
That looks like an ideal fit GT. Do you have a link?