Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towing a Smart car

Ian Chadwick

This weekend I almost purchased a Smart car to tow behind my MP with a A frame towing bracket the bracket fully fitted was around £2,500 I decided to contact Mercedes to see if it was allowed and they said NO WAY you can only use a A frame for a maximum of 50 kilometres or the warranty was invalid the only way would be on a flat bed trailer so I went to View one at the weekend (Sunday) and it was huge 10ftx5.6in
which would have looked like a Gypsy enterage. So has anyone else considered towing a small car like all the motor homes seem to do and probably illegally and defiantly not allowed in Europe

WILLH

Not considered a car but was contemplating whether the new Honda Monkey bike could be mounted on the towbar sideways somehow.It weighs 107kg and is 1710mm long.

mptripsaway

Not considered a car but was contemplating whether the new Honda Monkey bike could be mounted on the towbar sideways somehow.It weighs 107kg and is 1710mm long.

You would exceed the max nose weight. I have seen very short trailers transporting quite big bikes sideways.

Maximum permissible gross weight of vehicle/trailer combination at 12% gradient 4800 – 5700 kg
Permissible trailer load, braked at 12% gradient 2000 – 2500 kg
Permissible trailer load, unbraked 750 kg
Permissible nose weight 100 kg

BabaJen

This weekend I almost purchased a Smart car to tow behind my MP with a A frame towing bracket the bracket fully fitted was around £2,500 I decided to contact Mercedes to see if it was allowed and they said NO WAY you can only use a A frame for a maximum of 50 kilometres or the warranty was invalid the only way would be on a flat bed trailer so I went to View one at the weekend (Sunday) and it was huge 10ftx5.6in
which would have looked like a Gypsy enterage. So has anyone else considered towing a small car like all the motor homes seem to do and probably illegally and defiantly not allowed in Europe

Why would you want to?

WILLH

You would exceed the max nose weight. I have seen very short trailers transporting quite big bikes sideways.

Maximum permissible gross weight of vehicle/trailer combination at 12% gradient 4800 – 5700 kg
Permissible trailer load, braked at 12% gradient 2000 – 2500 kg
Permissible trailer load, unbraked 750 kg
Permissible nose weight 100 kg

That’s a shame.It would be quite good to have an Altea Strada type device on the towbar to transport a small motorbike.Will have to make do with my electric bicycle instead!

You could...... Invest in some titanium bolts,a few choice bits of carbon fibre + remove some of the excessive plastic you get on bikes today and I’m sure you could shed that 7kg. Mind you would prob cost the same as the monkey bike in the first place!!! on a slightly more serious note, motolug collapsible trailers aren’t a bad shout if you could put up with limitations of trailing a bike. Also much easier on your back than loading them on the sideways tow bar mounted jobbies.

RFT

An A-frame mounts on a normal tow bar. Provided you're within towing limits there is no reason for the MP warranty to be invalid. However, legaility is a different matter. I've read so many postings where people argue that either a) an A-frame is only legal when used for recovery purposes or b) it is not illegal - albeit the Spannish police will stop you and instruct that the car (toad) is driven independently.

If you need a toad then you're best off getting a small trailer.

Ian Chadwick

A lot of things I have read about A frames do indicate they are for recovery purposes only so why would you spend £2,500 having a car
Adapted it doesn't make sense to me

Roy C

One of the key attractions for me of the MP (or the VW Cali) is that you can use it once you get to your destination since it is just effectively a big car, especially if you get a drive-away awning. I wouldn't want the hassle of taking anything bigger than the MP, a motorhome for example, into an unfamiliar city centre or down narrow country lanes. I can see the possible attraction of towing a small car to use for exploring once I'd got to a campsite if I had a motorhome but I personally wouldn't consider towing a car with the MP. I use the MP as my daily-drive and apart from a bit of extra care over the length on tight corners, when picking a suitable parking bay or making sure it is under the height restriction in a multi-storey etc., I find it a surprisingly hassle-free runaround....with a little bit of forward planning.

Ian Chadwick

This thread proves a point that we are all individuals and what suits one doesn't everyone just like we all don't drive a Marco Polo or massive all singing all dancing motor home but if some want to take a cycle motorbike boat or even Car the options should be available for everyone

RFT

I've just realised that they meant the warranty on the Smart, not the MP. Using an A-frame adds miles to the speedo on the Smart too.

Ian Chadwick

Sorry! but they meant the MP they didn't explain why the guy just said I am not technically minded but I have been told its a warranty issue with the MP if you tow
over 50 kilometres with a A frame

RFT

If they are talkin about the MP I think they're talking nonsense, as I mentioned above.

Katie

I agree we all have different needs and wishes, but I can’t think why anyone would want to tow a smart car with an mp. It’s not that I think they shouldn’t but that some other combination might be easier and more convenient for them, not to mention cheaper

Ian Chadwick

Hi Katie, thanks for your input to the thread. Firstly why would anyone want to tow any sort of car behind any sort of motorhome/camper van, I am not sure what other combinations you are referring to and if your thinking of cheap you wouldn't be driving a MP. My wife uses Tesco like a corner shop and thinks theres one on every camp site but seriously we love to find a site where we can travel around the area with say a 25 mile radius and it would be easier with a little car, we don't walk very well we don't do motor bikes or cycle so the easy option is a set of wheels, but it would appear it will never happen, however I am always open to ideas. So to everyone keep them coming.

Katie

Hi Ian
I can see why you might want a smaller car to get inside underground car parks like our local Waitrose but the mp can really fit in almost anywhere. I can understand why someone with a large motor home might want to tow a small car but I would say just try your mp for a while and see how you get in with it as an everyday car. I can see why you would want two cars but I think it would be a bit cumbersome to tow a car behind the mp.
However, I guess a lot of what I choose in life is a mystery to others so at the end of the day just do what you want!
On site today, I did see a couple with folding electric bikes in their camper van and that might be something I’d consider if I wanted to go to the local shops / pub whilst I was away in my mp but anything more than a few miles I’d just take the mp. It really is quick to wind in the awning and lower the roof before going out for the day - we just have a 2 second pop up tent to put anything in we want to when we go out or during the day eg porta loo.
I too have health problems, hence selling our caravan last year but do find a camper van much less hassle to get together and apart at the end of our stay. For me, the fewer things we have to deal with, the easier it is to cope.
All the best with whatever you choose.