Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towball Mounted luggage rack and Bag/Box

AMC

I am trying to decide the best luggage rack to fit on my towball and whether a bag or a box is the better option. I have looked at Thule and Cruz Carrier systems and the more expensive Westfalia. It is also my impression that the bags on offer are rather flimsy and will tend to "collapse" over the items being stored. I am not sure if a semi rigid bag or for example a proper shaped bag is available.The Thule Easybase or the Cruz Rear Cargo models look interesting.
Any advice or experience would be welcome.

Webbah

I have the MFT Systems Backbox, BackCarrier and additional accessories. It's fantastic. The BackBox can drop low enough to open the rear tailgate easily as well and also with the Bike Carrier. The Backbox can also carry snowboards and skis, and I bought the extensions for the sides to use if required.

SteveR

I have a Thule Easybase rack and bag. The rack fits easily within a couple of minutes. Folds up to store flat. The bag is very robust and the advantage in my opinion over a hard bag is it folds into itself for storage to a very small footprint.
We comfortably carried a complete air awning, pegs, pump etc and still had room for carpets and other bits.

Bit pricy but good quality
Recommended

TMC

I am trying to buy the MFT BackBox. Has anyone found a way of getting it into the UK post Jan 1 2022? I can source a TowBox. Does anyone know if this box allows tailgate opening when it is in its fully tilted position?

Webbah

I am trying to buy the MFT BackBox. Has anyone found a way of getting it into the UK post Jan 1 2022? I can source a TowBox. Does anyone know if this box allows tailgate opening when it is in its fully tilted position?
Maybe try this company?

I bought mine from a shop directly in Switzerland so can't really help there.

Webbah

Also, if you do order this I highly recommend the BackSupport option. That is really needed to pull the box down to open the tailgate.

Webbah

The TowBox does not go low enough to open the tailgate unfortunately. I researched a ton of these and the MFT was the best option.

TMC

Maybe try this company?

I bought mine from a shop directly in Switzerland so can't really help there.
Yes, they have stock but sent me this rather unhelpful reply

due to Brexit our customers in UK were having a lot of problems with UK customs service, that's why we canceled shipping to your island.
Sorry for that...

AMC

I have the MFT Systems Backbox, BackCarrier and additional accessories. It's fantastic. The BackBox can drop low enough to open the rear tailgate easily as well and also with the Bike Carrier. The Backbox can also carry snowboards and skis, and I bought the extensions for the sides to use if required.

Many thanks for your information.
I have had a look at the MFT System on the link you provided and did think that for example a BackPack with the necessary BackCarrier would be a useful arrangement for me.Do you know whether these items can be ordered on that website at the prices quoted at this stage or is there another source available in the U.K.for purchasing them. Also are you aware of any import duty that would be payable in the present situation and possible delivery costs which is not clear in the website shop.Unfortunately there is no provision it would seem for an English translation. Sorry to pose so many questions but I would certainlytainly appreciate any further experience in obtaining this System and of course your experience regarding installation and usefulness. I have compared this price wise to the Westfalia BC60 with a platform fitted.and the basic cost is similar without possible International extras.
Any thoughts you have or advice on obtaining the MFT Stuff would be most welcome and I apologise to bombard you with my queries.

Webbah

Many thanks for your information.
I have had a look at the MFT System on the link you provided and did think that for example a BackPack with the necessary BackCarrier would be a useful arrangement for me.Do you know whether these items can be ordered on that website at the prices quoted at this stage or is there another source available in the U.K.for purchasing them. Also are you aware of any import duty that would be payable in the present situation and possible delivery costs which is not clear in the website shop.Unfortunately there is no provision it would seem for an English translation. Sorry to pose so many questions but I would certainlytainly appreciate any further experience in obtaining this System and of course your experience regarding installation and usefulness. I have compared this price wise to the Westfalia BC60 with a platform fitted.and the basic cost is similar without possible International extras.
Any thoughts you have or advice on obtaining the MFT Stuff would be most welcome and I apologise to bombard you with my queries.
Hi AMC,

I live in Switzerland and ordered mine here. Ironically, Switzerland is a lot like the UK when it comes to relations with the EU but we have the advantage of having EU neighbors so it makes shipping a little easier. For the MFT I found a local distributor here. However one option might be to find a freight forwarder from an EU country? Perhaps in Ireland?

I have to do this for my other favorite Marco Polo online shop (Marco Polo myLife) as they won't ship directly to Switzerland or the UK. So I found a service based just across the border in Germany called meineinkauf.ch. They only ship to Switzerland though from Germany for shops that won't ship direct. If one doesn't exist for the UK this sounds like an amazing business opportunity due to Brexit!

Alternatively perhaps if you have any plans to travel to the South of France during Spring/Summer you could order it and have it shipped to a hotel or campsite you plan on visiting in France?

TMC

I have tried many options including sending a courier to Germany to collect for me (eye watering cost). Having been told none would be available in the UK until mid April, I have today been able to order a BackBox (in stock), BackCarrier (expected mid March) and BackSupport (mid March). Given that the BackBox has gone from mid April to available now in the space of a week, the mid March delivery dates could shift too. This is not a cheap option but is, in my view, the one that works best on the towball of a tailgated camper. The additional delivery cost of the three items (which will ship together) was £45. Considering one of the options I was costing up was driving to Germany, this is a steal! The UK supplier is UK Leisure Parts

Webbah

I have tried many options including sending a courier to Germany to collect for me (eye watering cost). Having been told none would be available in the UK until mid April, I have today been able to order a BackBox (in stock), BackCarrier (expected mid March) and BackSupport (mid March). Given that the BackBox has gone from mid April to available now in the space of a week, the mid March delivery dates could shift too. This is not a cheap option but is, in my view, the one that works best on the towball of a tailgated camper. The additional delivery cost of the three items (which will ship together) was £45. Considering one of the options I was costing up was driving to Germany, this is a steal! The UK supplier is UK Leisure Parts

Whoop! Awesome!

Webbah

By the way, I didn't like mine in silver so I had a a car paint shop paint mine in canvasite blue like my MP. Looks stunning and matches now.

Hyrule

I have ordered a MFT BackBox from UKLeisure parts but the carrier and back support are on back order until likley late March. So just be aware of the stock situation

TMC

I have ordered a MFT BackBox from UKLeisure parts but the carrier and back support are on back order until likley late March. So just be aware of the stock situation
Did you BackBox arrive? I am having lots of trouble with electrical compatibility on the MP. The vehicle keeps displaying lighting errors for various light failures. MB sys there is. nothing wrong with the vehicle and it must be the way the lighting system is wired into the 13 pin plug.

Hyrule

Hi TMC.

All parts came into stock and were delivered April. All works. Sorry you are having problems with yours

SteveR

....The vehicle keeps displaying lighting errors for various light failures. MB sys there is. nothing wrong with the vehicle and it must be the way the lighting system is wired into the 13 pin plug....
Do you have access to any other trailer board... neighbour's trailer perhaps or similar. If not, try somewhere like towrite and plug in a trailer board. If the lights work then MB are correct and you can have a look at your 13 pin wiring. If they don't then run it back to MB (maybe take a phone video of fault too)

TMC

Hi TMC.

All parts came into stock and were delivered April. All works. Sorry you are having problems with yours
Thanks. Yes, mine came through at a similar time and, although they deny the vehicle had any fault, MB have in fact solved the issue by installing a new trailer hitch electrics control pane. Just had 4 days way and all fine.