Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tow bar query

Gazza

Hello all, I’m new to the group and new owner of an MP. I have been searching for a tow bar mounted bike rack and opted for Thule velolspace xt 3 as seen videos of still being able to open tailgate with this model. I have a factory fitted westfalia detachable tow bar that I have not used yet I have just connected it which was very easy however the ball hitch is so high that the tailgate only just passes it with nothing attached. As soon as anything is attached the tailgate will not open which is a big problem for me. Has anyone else encountered the same issue? Any advice welcome. Thanks you.

GeorgeG

See “what bike rack” thread. You’ll see that gazthediver bought a Thule Velospace 2 and the tailgate won’t open! As I posted on that thread I have the official Mercedes towbar mounted 3-bike carrier which will allow the tailgate to open (just) when it’s dropped. The Mercedes bike carriers are actually made by Atera and the 3 bike model is virtually identical to the Atera Strada Evo 3 (Apart from one of the arms). It’s a high quality carrier and is readily available in the UK. It folds and fits into a canvas bag which will fit in the rear of the MP if you want to put it away. I find this unnecessary as it locks onto the towbar. BTW, the canvas bag was an optional extra with the Atera, but included with the Mercedes model.
Also, note what I posted about the dealer who fitted my Westfalia removable towbar - he’s also a Thule agent and doubted ANY Thule bike carrier would allow the tailgate to open. I think its something to do with the length of the tailgate preventing this.

I've had a look at the German Mercedes website where the 3-bike carrier is currently availalable for €559.90 (about £500 at current per rates) - reduced from €669. You only pay €7 carriage from Germany, but you can return FOC if you don’t want it! But you have to pay by international money transfer which cost me an additional £15.
Roofbox.co.uk also have them reduced from rrp of £647.50 to £479.95 - carriage is £8.50. Looks a pretty good buy, but storage bag appears to be no longer available and I seem to remember it was an extra £50 or so - expensive, but very thick canvas and high quality. So it really depends if you want a bag.

Delivery from Germany took about 3 to 4 days I seem to remember.

I'm very happy with my Mercedes/Atera carrier. Hope the above helps.