Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tiny blisters on roof

SteveR

....They now need to do paint depth measurements...
Hmmm - I wish them luck with that. The traditional way to measure paint thickness is with a magnetic measure that does exactly that; it measures the distance between the metal and the exterior paint level, thus paint thickness.
How they manage that on a fibre glass roof should be interesting

Method7

Hmmm - I wish them luck with that. The traditional way to measure paint thickness is with a magnetic measure that does exactly that; it measures the distance between the metal and the exterior paint level, thus paint thickness.
How they manage that on a fibre glass roof should be interesting
I think there are a number of devices that work on all sorts of coated materials even chrome plating, galvanising and powder coating etc... apparently they work on plastic bumpers, aluminium and fibre glass... still seems odd though. I wonder if the water is tracking through from the inside.

Steve B

My blister issue is with the Merc warranty people at the moment, that said there was a 3 week delay as it was the dealers first experience of the blister issue. They have told me it is following a different path to normal bodywork paint issues. I would normally get upset and be a pain phoning and complaining constantly but as this doesn't affect the MPs usability and virtually everyone has had delays, I'll just see how it goes. It will be fun to see how many excuses are rolled out! I'm waiting for the respray or replace battle to come....

Epigram

My blister issue is with the Merc warranty people at the moment, that said there was a 3 week delay as it was the dealers first experience of the blister issue. They have told me it is following a different path to normal bodywork paint issues. I would normally get upset and be a pain phoning and complaining constantly but as this doesn't affect the MPs usability and virtually everyone has had delays, I'll just see how it goes. It will be fun to see how many excuses are rolled out! I'm waiting for the respray or replace battle to come....
Good luck.
I’m very impressed with your tolerance and patience. Can you share the name of your therapist/wine/beer so that I can follow your example!

Steve B

Good luck.
I’m very impressed with your tolerance and patience. Can you share the name of your therapist/wine/beer so that I can follow your example!
I did get a call from the dealers yesterday asking for more info, the westfalia serial number from the b pillar. The plan might be to ask for a bit of info each week, this could take years!!

SteveR

I did get a call from the dealers yesterday asking for more info, the westfalia serial number from the b pillar. The plan might be to ask for a bit of info each week, this could take years!!
You would have hoped that the dealer was knowledgable enough to collect all pertinent information when you first visited

WILLH

It sounds to me like this is becoming an expensive issue for MB to rectify(I have seen 4 of these faulty roof panels now),and MB are going to try and make it more difficult for customers to get the fault rectified.They are probably hoping that if they do this then more customers will not go through with the warranty claim-some will not bother as it’s not something you ordinarily see on the van,out of sight is out of mind!

SteveR

It sounds to me like this is becoming an expensive issue for MB to rectify(I have seen 4 of these faulty roof panels now),and MB are going to try and make it more difficult for customers to get the fault rectified.They are probably hoping that if they do this then more customers will not go through with the warranty claim-some will not bother as it’s not something you ordinarily see on the van,out of sight is out of mind!
.....or the cynic may feel that it is a delaying tactic as there is clearly a backlog of new roof panels perhaps?

SteveR

Personally, I am not too bothered. As Steve B said above, it isn't affecting usability so as long as it is done, and my preference would be over winter anyway, then so be it

Steve B

I know the weathers a bit rubbish at the moment, but my first outing is a lads one and 13th March so the season starts and I don’t want it in a body shop during the guaranteed beautiful British summer!

Andyandy

Hello. I am looking a purchasing a 68 plate 250d AMG lineMarco Polo at the weekend. I have seen this post and asked the guy wether it had blisters. It does. Now I am wondering wether to purchase it as it seems a lot of hassle.
I do love the camper but it’s a lot of money to purchase something with a known fault. It would also need the mattress recall doing. What would people advise?

SteveR

Hello. I am looking a purchasing a 68 plate 250d AMG lineMarco Polo at the weekend. I have seen this post and asked the guy wether it had blisters. It does. Now I am wondering wether to purchase it as it seems a lot of hassle.
I do love the camper but it’s a lot of money to purchase something with a known fault. It would also need the mattress recall doing. What would people advise?
Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Is the MP still under warranty? If so, I don't see a problem. You have to remember that internet forums tend to have more negative posts than positive and yes, while there are issues currently being looked at by Mercedes, albeit slowly, the MP is, in my opinion, a fabulous vehicle.
Yes, mine has blisters. Am I concerned... no. In hindsight, would I still have purchased....Absolutely!
I would suggest querying the warranty, or otherwise investigate a newer vehicle covered by warranty regardless of whether any blisters are apparent or not.
Just my 2p worth

Method7

Totally agree with @SteveR its worth having a conversation with the dealer about the roof and their plans/experience with dealing with them, get the repair plan in writing as part of the sale agreement.

Not that I think MB are slippery but because I think, as Steve says it’s not something you should be worrying about. In my experience MB customer care is good, they do and always have lacked knowledge on the V-class, add the Westfalia conversion and the end result is well documented in this forum.

I have always compared it to going to a DIY shop and expecting the assistant to give advice on fitting a new boiler. It’s worth asking but you really should get a second opinion.

Andyandy

I am not getting it from Mercedes. It is a lovely MP with lots of extras but I am paying £50k and with 2 known problems needing correcting I am a more than a little worried about parting with £50k.

edzt

I am not getting it from Mercedes. It is a lovely MP with lots of extras but I am paying £50k and with 2 known problems needing correcting I am a more than a little worried about parting with £50k.

I bought mine privately. It doesn't seem to matter as I've has the awning, bed and fridge replaced.
My only problem is my local dealer doesn't know any thing about roof replacement and I'm wary of getting it done....it doesnt leak at the moment!
wether I'd be as mellow if I wasn't retired is a different matter as it can be time consuming.

On the plus side I've now had three very nice loan cars including a hot rod c class coupe:cool:

Steve B

Agree with the other comments, ours is a daily driver plus a camper, it does both well. Mine has blisters but its under warranty and once its logged thats good enough. It doesn't affect the usability and as long as it get replaced i don't mind when. Some are on second replacements so hopefully when mine goes in it will be rectified permanently. This forum is good for advice usually relating to issues as previously said, there is plenty to be positive about with the MP.

Carol

I agree an excellent camper van , in my opinion far more luxurious and comfortable than the VW which l had and loved for 7 years , Had my 2 nd roof replaced in Dec2019 , looking good , together with mattress and hinges as recall notice , I understand
the VWs have a problem with there roofs rusting ,
so we are not alone with roof issues

ding33

We have the dreaded roof blisters! A 2017 model and nothing until now - very annoying! We also have a solar panel fitted so will need to remove prior to warranty claim - again more annoyance!