Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tiny blisters on roof

askho

Seems odd that a replacement product arrives at MB without the branding. I mean why would westfalia send a new roof without the sticker already in place.
Because they have to respray the roof to the appropriate colour. It's only a stuck on label so it makes sense they stick it on after the respray. It's not a big deal but I want to keep the MP as original as possible.

Method7

Because they have to respray the roof to the appropriate colour. It's only a stuck on label so it makes sense they stick it on after the respray. It's not a big deal but I want to keep the MP as original as possible.
Ahh yes I forgot they have to paint them.

Paul Merritt

Just found 15 raised blisters on my MP roof. I read the posts on here regularly and have checked both of our MP's for this problem first one being 2017 replaced with our second MP in March 2019 and just gone through our first frost.It seems that the blisters first appeared on MP's in 2017, to me 2 years is long enough to have sorted this problem out. In my opinion MB should take control and declare the roofs "not fit for purpose" with their supplier and with all their clout sort out Westfalia

Method7

Just found 15 raised blisters on my MP roof. I read the posts on here regularly and have checked both of our MP's for this problem first one being 2017 replaced with our second MP in March 2019 and just gone through our first frost.It seems that the blisters first appeared on MP's in 2017, to me 2 years is long enough to have sorted this problem out. In my opinion MB should take control and declare the roofs "not fit for purpose" with their supplier and with all their clout sort out Westfalia
Since 1999 Westfalia are a MB company.. I’m not sure how that works but agree asses need kicking.

Epigram

Really sorry to hear this.
I naturally worry that I might end up in the same situation with my 2019 MP especially if frost does cause the blisters to appear. I keep mine under cover most of the time so would be unlikely to know for a while.

Although interesting, who now owns Westfalia is irrelevant.
Mercedes are the supplier of the vehicle as a whole and are responsible and accountable for the all its components as well as the actions of their subcontractors and suppliers in the production and supply of the vehicle.
It would seem from this forum that over the last 2 years some 4% of Marco Polos registered in UK have reported roof blisters.
Therefore, Mercedes ( HQ ) cannot deny that they are unaware of the problem but Mercedes dealers (irrespective of how co-operative they are in accepting a warranty repair) are continuing to sell vehicles with a known potential defect without making purchasers aware at time of sale.
This smacks of misrepresentation. I wonder what Trading Standards have to say about this.
Certainly strong grounds for rejecting the whole vehicle and demanding another rather than suffer the inconvenience of waiting months for a roof replacement with no guarantee or assurance that the fault is not going to recur.

Paul Merritt

Really sorry to hear this.
I naturally worry that I might end up in the same situation with my 2019 MP especially if frost does cause the blisters to appear. I keep mine under cover most of the time so would be unlikely to know for a while.

Although interesting, who now owns Westfalia is irrelevant.
Mercedes are the supplier of the vehicle as a whole and are responsible and accountable for the all its components as well as the actions of their subcontractors and suppliers in the production and supply of the vehicle.
It would seem from this forum that over the last 2 years some 4% of Marco Polos registered in UK have reported roof blisters.
Therefore, Mercedes ( HQ ) cannot deny that they are unaware of the problem but Mercedes dealers (irrespective of how co-operative they are in accepting a warranty repair) are continuing to sell vehicles with a known potential defect without making purchasers aware at time of sale.
This smacks of misrepresentation. I wonder what Trading Standards have to say about this.
Certainly strong grounds for rejecting the whole vehicle and demanding another rather than suffer the inconvenience of waiting months for a roof replacement with no guarantee or assurance that the fault is not going to recur.
MB HQ tend to sit behind the retailer and let them sort out any problems and don't get involved unless the retailer steps out of line. Rejecting your MP is no easy task, I know because I have been down that route. In the end just before going legal the retailer purchased the vehicle back and sold me another at a huge discount and still claimed no responsibility. I wonder how that shows on the stats. The 4% are only the ones that reported on forums, I believe the figure could be a lot higher. After hearing about the blisters in 2017 models and reading the apparent reasons, damp roofs, bad batch, bad storage etc, I can only assume these bad practices are still being carried out, or there is a more serious problem that MB are relying on the warranty system to sort out whilst they get to route cause of the problem.

Paul Merritt

I went to my local dealership today to report the roof blisters. As I have used them before a few of times for some warranty issues and they have been very good at getting things sorted out I was very optimistic, however I was disappointed. As the conversation progressed the realisation that I was talking to someone who could talk the talk, but could not walk the walk became apparent. Re-painting was mentioned, a paint thickness test would have to be made, they apparently had vast experience of roof replacement, but had never seen a problem roof on a MP. I told him the problem was a manufacturing issue and the roof would probably need replacing, he said if thats the case the roof comes colour coded and would just need fitting!! The result was as soon as I was home I phoned MB Poole, still waiting to hear back from them. Knowledge is key, thanks to the people on this forum.

Carol

Just had my second new roof fitted , was not without Afro . I wrote to Germany and received a call from Amsterdam, next day l received call from dealer to book in , this time they had it for 3 weeks, supposed to fit the hinges as on recall , this did not happen , one of my reclining seat switches kept popping out , so they glued it to the leather , After a lot of frank words they had van for a further 2 weeks , finally got everything sorted, including new mattress that they had originally said was not a problem, but I copied my DVLA letter and sent it in with vehicle , Wrote letter to After Sales manager explained everything from beginning stated l expected an apology, guess what 2 weeks passed heard nothing not even a courtesy reply, That’s Jardine motors for you ,

RichardP

Add another MP with roof blisters to the list. Just noticed several blisters of various sizes on the roof of our June 2019 MP. We got the MP after getting very poor service from VW and the roof corrosion issue on our California, that was sorted just under 6 years from it being reported. I'll be calling the local dealership tomorrow to see what yarn they try and spin.

Method7

There seems to be a definite cycle to these blisters. Last winter we noticed them, they seemed to dry up through the summer, almost disappearing in late summer. Today, after a couple of mild frosts I notice they are back again, prominent and firm.

Epigram

Add another MP with roof blisters to the list. Just noticed several blisters of various sizes on the roof of our June 2019 MP. We got the MP after getting very poor service from VW and the roof corrosion issue on our California, that was sorted just under 6 years from it being reported. I'll be calling the local dealership tomorrow to see what yarn they try and spin.
Has your been out in the frost too, whereabouts are you?
Alarming for such a ix month old vehicle. Clearly Mercedes seem nowhere nearer sorting it out.
Mine is May 2019 but under cover. I am tempted to get it out and expose it to a few cold nights over winter.

RichardP

The van is parked outside and we’re in North Yorkshire, there have been a couple of frosty nights but not severe. The worst bubbles are in the sunroof recess where water can pool, but there are others. I’ve not tried bursting any yet, I’ll wait until the dealership has seen them. They feel a bit squishy so my guess is that they will be filled with liquid.

Epigram

The van is parked outside and we’re in North Yorkshire, there have been a couple of frosty nights but not severe. The worst bubbles are in the sunroof recess where water can pool, but there are others. I’ve not tried bursting any yet, I’ll wait until the dealership has seen them. They feel a bit squishy so my guess is that they will be filled with liquid.
I am away at the moment but my wife returns at the weekend. We live on a hillside that gets frost most winter nights. I will get her to put the van outside so that I will know the worst by spring. I have also e-mailed my dealer asking for information on the blisters and whether there is going to be a recall. We have a right to know!

Carol

Mine was parked outside ,noticed first blisters about Feb 2019, had a new roof fitted within 3 months, but the second roof had 2 large lumps on the roof ,the workshop at MB tried to tell me it was to be expected as it is fibreglass, needless to say I rejected it .took another 6 months to get sorted 2nd new roof ,looks fine at momemt. guess I need to wait for some really cold weather,
However I am certain the 2 lumps on the 2nd roof became more prominent from the sun, I think there must have been air expansion as caused a small bump in roof inner lining as well.
I asked why it had not been recalled and was told it was not an issue to cause an accident so would not fit recall criteria!!!!

Epigram

Mine was parked outside ,noticed first blisters about Feb 2019, had a new roof fitted within 3 months, but the second roof had 2 large lumps on the roof ,the workshop at MB tried to tell me it was to be expected as it is fibreglass, needless to say I rejected it .took another 6 months to get sorted 2nd new roof ,looks fine at momemt. guess I need to wait for some really cold weather,
However I am certain the 2 lumps on the 2nd roof became more prominent from the sun, I think there must have been air expansion as caused a small bump in roof inner lining as well.
I asked why it had not been recalled and was told it was not an issue to cause an accident so would not fit recall criteria!!!!
Hi Carol. Re the dealer‘s comment about recall. They say what they want. VW emissions scandal wasn’t a safety issue but my VWs were recalled for that!

Lol

We have also noticed bubbles ours is going in on friday
Interested in what happens to you
Lorraine

SteveR

Add another one here to the list - Thought I'd got away with it over the summer but they appeared over the recent colder / damper weather. June 2019 model.
For those who have had the issue 'resolved', I'd be interested to know the percentage of roofs replaced vs just repainted