• ttie downs.jpg
    ttie downs.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 37
  • horizon.jpg
    horizon.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

caMPike

Important question how heavy is your motorbike?
These loops will safely keep an object of max few tens of kg weight in case crash. Force dimension could be calculated, make sure the bike inside of cabin will be fixed safely

Reactions: KDM

Manny

I will have 6 of the loops which each has a breaking strength of 2250 kg. The bike weighs 195 kg

caMPike

Physical theory: front crash in speed of 25km/h into a wall, the weight of the bike will be over 13 tons during impact. Don’t forget the force will effect mainly the loops mounted behind the bike, loops on side a bit, front loops won’t help at all. So you would need 6 loops mounted in back. Standart loop has around 500kg, must be some heavy duty loop for 2250kg. It is theory and hard to simulate crash, anyway no doubt the bike will become very unstable and enormously danger load inside of car! Double speed = double force.

caMPike

Good luck. Crash in 50km/h, the bike will push everything forward by force of 27 tons. You won’t want seat in front of.

Epigram

Physical theory: front crash in speed of 25km/h into a wall, the weight of the bike will be over 13 tons during impact. Don’t forget the force will effect mainly the loops mounted behind the bike, loops on side a bit, front loops won’t help at all. So you would need 6 loops mounted in back. Standart loop has around 500kg, must be some heavy duty loop for 2250kg. It is theory and hard to simulate crash, anyway no doubt the bike will become very unstable and enormously danger load inside of car! Double speed = double force.
When I picked up my MP it came with four lashing eyelets similar to those and I was told they were for securing items that might otherwise slide on the floor. It would be worth getting the dealer to enquire from the commercial vehicle section what the dynamic loading specification is for the lashing eyes and floor rail.
As has been pointed out, when travelling at even relatively low speeds there is considerable momentum (and kinetic energy) in an inadequately secured load if the vehicle comes to rest or changes direction quickly.
Good luck with coming up with a suitable (and safe!) arrangement.

Method7

I’ve had several motorbikes in the back with the front wheel firmly up against the front seat boxes and a couple of 2” ratchet straps... include a decent secured chock and that bike won’t be going anywhere..

It’s all the other stuff in there you need to wary about. Dogs, awnings cutlery, tool chest, helmets.

presumably in the case of a head on accident that involves the van almost instantly decelerating to zero the same happens to the bike (assuming it secure) then you could expect the bike to bend a bit, throw some plastics and other bits n bobs.

Epigram

“It’s all the other stuff in there you need to wary about. Dogs, awnings cutlery, tool chest, helmets”

......and of course the ubiquitous porta potti !

E

EdiAli

VIP Member
Hi Manny,

referring back to your original post, I take it the smalle lashingpoint fitted okay into the c-rails? Looking for some myself but unsure of sizing.

thanks.