Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule EasyBase

Hi, does anyone have any experience fitting a tow-bar-mounted carrier with storage box such as the Thule one with the Backup box or Easybag? I would be interested to hear how people get on with it.
Thanks!

Neil Pearson

We shall be buying one very shortly along with the bag and the cycle rack accessories. We have researched it quite extensively and it would seem to meet all our criteria. I will post again when we have it and again later when I can actually give some feedback.

We shall be buying one very shortly along with the bag and the cycle rack accessories. We have researched it quite extensively and it would seem to meet all our criteria. I will post again when we have it and again later when I can actually give some feedback.

Hi Neil, which one are you going for?

Neil Pearson

Hi, we picked up a Thule 949 easybase on ebay last week and bought a 948-2 cycle attachment separately.
We haven't bought the bag yet, but that is our intention before we take a longer trip. The easybase has a load capacity of 40kg and the easy bag has plenty of space for the awning, thermal screen/wraps and all. Probably get cables bbq etc in too.
Pretty much every thing that will get 'yucky' will be travelling in the bag.
We think the bag will be more versatile than the hard box. Storage will be easier too.
We bought the cycle attachment first as it will be used quite frequently. ( and has been!)
In use the easy base is... Well, easy!
Drop it on the tow bar, tighten the clamp and your off.
Loosening the clamp allows the base to drop towards the floor. We can then open the tailgate window, but not the tail gate if the bike rack is attached because the rear frame is quite tall. I don't expect to have the rear frame fitted when the bag is attached so we should have full access to the rear, but I will let you know.
Hope this helps.

Tania Hills

Hi, Do you think that this is abetter option than a top box then? I have to say I was concerned about reaching the top of the van to get things out.

Neil Pearson

Hi, Do you think that this is abetter option than a top box then? I have to say I was concerned about reaching the top of the van to get things out.
Hi Tania, yes I think it's a much better option. So much easier to access.
We bought an Amazon" hitch rack cargo bag" to put our stuff in. (£40 as opposed to£100± from Thule) It has three built in straps, it's water proof and has a capacity of between 250l and 325l. We routinely fit the airbeam awning, porta loo and barbi in with ease.
More functional than the ridged box for us but it's horses for courses.
We bought our van in Jan and have had eight trips so far. The easybase has come with us ever time in one guise or another.

Tania Hills

Hi Tania, yes I think it's a much better option. So much easier to access.
We bought an Amazon" hitch rack cargo bag" to put our stuff in. (£40 as opposed to£100± from Thule) It has three built in straps, it's water proof and has a capacity of between 250l and 325l. We routinely fit the airbeam awning, porta loo and barbi in with ease.
More functional than the ridged box for us but it's horses for courses.
We bought our van in Jan and have had eight trips so far. The easybase has come with us ever time in one guise or another.
Thank you so much, we only got our van a few weeks ago and we are in that what do we buy for the best loop! We bought a Galli tall air awning which is marvellous but takes up so much room. I'll have a look at the Amazon option then, sounds perfect.