Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Marco Polo Sport ( the one with a kitchen) buying instead of VW California

p.g.tattan

I know a lot has been written on this. But though I would share my experience while it’s fresh in my mind.

I basically realised that the MP competes with the California Ocean (the top spec VW) not the Coast

The spec is comparable with the ocean but it includes a really luxurious interior for slightly less money than the ocean.

No point in comparing to the Coast because is a stripped down ocean and needs about £15k options to make comparable to the ocean

I found it really interesting that the journalist reviews often compared the mp price to the coast and concluded the mp is expensive. However when I compared the 300d sport to the VW ocean using the configuration tools the ocean was more expensive. Interesting!

Last edited:

Neil Pearson

I know a lot has been written on this. But though I would share my experience while it’s fresh in my mind.

I basically realised that the MP competes with the California Ocean (the top spec VW) not the beach (the entry levek

The spec is comparable with the ocean but it includes a really luxurious interior for slightly less money than the ocean.

No point in comparing to the beach because the beach misses so many features versus the Ocean or MP.

I found it really interesting that the journalist reviews often compared the mp price to the beach and concluded the mp is expensive. However when I compared the 300d sport to the VW ocean using the configuration tools the ocean was more expensive. Interesting!
You have had the same realisation that I had three years ago...£ for £ the MP far less expensive.
I've been telling VW drivers this when ever I get the opportunity, you should see their faces.
Still....I'm a shepherd, not a sheep!

p.g.tattan

You have had the same realisation that I had three years ago...£ for £ the MP far less expensive.
I've been telling VW drivers this when ever I get the opportunity, you should see their faces.
Still....I'm a shepherd, not a sheep!
Yes and, you know, it took me awhile to really understand that because you naturally expect a Volkswagen to be cheaper than a Mercedes and I kept questioning what have I missed here?
The shower, 360 reversing camera, yacht floor, leather interior, dynamic LED headlamps, to name but a few all come as standard on the MP but even those are optional extras On the ocean. After I bought it I discovered there is an app that let you control everything on the van from your smart phone including the heater. So I can actually heat the van up on a winter morning before using it to drive to work. That’s not an option on the California!

One thing that initially caught me was the fact that in the California you can store the table and the chairs in the doors. Good idea! Then I realised that The deeper doors to accommodate the furniture eats into the interior space! I later read on the California forms that many people replace the chairs and table with something else anyway because they need to be able to seat four people or the chairs uncomfortable And they store those Furniture items inside the van not inside the doors. So I came to the conclusion that it’s not a benefit or a detriment it’s just something that you either find useful... or not

Grand Tourismo

Welcome along PG :Welcome: and a welcome to you Neil :Thumbs up:

There is also a little known variant of the VW called the Coast here in the UK, which is a lower spec. than the Ocean it's a fair bit cheaper...and is definitely not a match for the MP on a spec-for-spec basis.

I haven't driven the California, but there are members on this forum who have owned both, you would have to ask them about the comparison but my V220 is a fabulous drive for a big vehicle - in many respects it feels like a large car to drive rather than a van, which for a 5m long vehicle that weighs in at over 2.5 tonnes is quite a trick to execute!

I doubt you could go wrong picking either vehicle, I suppose the California gives you the Dub scene if you want, but the MP is pure understated luxury and has buckets of stealth cool about it!!

p.g.tattan

Welcome along PG :Welcome: and a welcome to you Neil :Thumbs up:

There is also a little known variant of the VW called the Coast here in the UK, which is a lower spec. than the Ocean it's a fair bit cheaper...and is definitely not a match for the MP on a spec-for-spec basis.

I haven't driven the California, but there are members on this forum who have owned both, you would have to ask them about the comparison but my V220 is a fabulous drive for a big vehicle - in many respects it feels like a large car to drive rather than a van, which for a 5m long vehicle that weighs in at over 2.5 tonnes is quite a trick to execute!

I doubt you could go wrong picking either vehicle, I suppose the California gives you the Dub scene if you want, but the MP is pure understated luxury and has buckets of stealth cool about it!!
Thanks very much. In fact you’ve made me realise that I made an error I actually meant to say that it’s the coast that people often compare the MP to not the Beach variant. Well edit and correct original post tx

VW Beach: MP Horizon ( pop up bed no/minimal kitchen)
VW Coast : no comparable MP. It’s a stripped down Ocean
VW Ocean: MP Sport (or AMG line for body kit)

Marc o Polo

Hi, and welcome, PG and Neil,

When I was weighing up a campervan, I looked at the VW - looks good... I had ploughed through MB's various specs and couldn't work out the price of a car that all the dealers had access to and could offer to sell - a stock car. For the same car on that list the variations in price ranged from c.£9000 more at one dealer to a few thousand more at another. I know they have RRPs but the stock car had so called extras: "awning, driver assistance package, 'lounge' mattress", etc. By the time those extras were added I decided the car I was going to have was indeed cheaper. I didn't haggle for a VW; the reason being I'd already decided, and knew what I wanted.

I did put in some hours working out costs and benefits - the stock car for me was just great. I think also that resale value of the MP is worth knowing, too. Don't know anything about the VW, but that may be equally as good. With each MP, I know I'm stating the obvious, but even with stock cars it is all down to the spec, as even they differ - e.g. "downstairs" mattress may not be provided for whatever reason, etc.

Caveat emptor definitely worth shopping around

Last edited:

p.g.tattan

I know a lot has been written on this. But though I share my experience while it’s fresh in my mind.

I basically realised that the MP competes with the California Ocean (the top spec VW) not the beach (the entry levek

No point in comparing to the beach because the beach misses so many features versus the Ocean or MP.

I found it really interesting that the journalist reviews often compared the mp price to the beach and concluded the mp is expensive. However when I compared the 300d sport to the VW ocean using the configuration

When I was weighing up a campervan, I looked at the VW - looks good... I had ploughed through MB's various specs and couldn't work out the price of a car that all the dealers had access to and could offer to sell - a stock car. For the same car on that list the variations in price ranged from c.£9000 more at one dealer to a few thousand more at another. I know they have RRPs but the stock car had so called extras: "awning, driver assistance package, 'lounge' mattress", etc. By the time those extras were added I decided the car I was going to have was indeed cheaper. I didn't haggle for a VW; the reason being I'd already decided, and knew what I wanted.

I did put in some hours working out costs and benefits - the stock car for me was just great. I think also that resale value of the MP is worth knowing, too. Don't know anything about the VW, but that may be equally as good. With each MP, I know I'm stating the obvious, but even with stock cars it is all down to the spec, as even they differ - e.g. "downstairs" mattress may not be provided for whatever reason, etc.

Thanks

thanks - we found the price list in the v class section of the Mercedes website.