Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

TDF 2018 -

mptripsaway

We are just about to depart for a few weeks in France, planning to follow the tour for the first week starting with the Grand Depart on 7th July. We haven't booked any sites yet as we prefer to remain as flexible as possible however any site recommendations along the route or hints and tips regarding following the tour (it's our first time) would be much appreciated.
Are any other forum members going?

Jamietyerman

We are just about to depart for a few weeks in France, planning to follow the tour for the first week starting with the Grand Depart on 7th July. We haven't booked any sites yet as we prefer to remain as flexible as possible however any site recommendations along the route or hints and tips regarding following the tour (it's our first time) would be much appreciated.
Are any other forum members going?
We are planning on doing the same thing this year. Do you have any advice from doing it ??

mptripsaway

We are planning on doing the same thing this year. Do you have any advice from doing it ??
Hi,
Just broken my golden rule....no forum while away from home. Not a lot of advice That I can give I'm afraid other than to decide on which stages you wish to follow and get to your chosen vantage point in good time as roads are closed well in advance of the tour arrival. Have plenty drink and food with you for a long wait for the peleton and if you want to catch some goodies when the "caravanne" passes I suggest standing a little back from the road as they hurl goodies from their moving vehicles with great gusto!

Epigram

For the last few years we have caught up with the TdF as it passed though some of the classic Alpine stages in the Briancon area, such a Col Izoard and Col du Galibier.
This year will be the first time we have a camper van with us so our strategy may be different.
Some suggestions (apologies for stating the obvious)
Get the official TdF guide in English. On sale now but they sell out.
Check the net and local papers for road closure information and times.
It’s better to watch somewhere where the riders are climbing, otherwise they pass too quickly.
Summits and finishes are very crowded you could be several deep and not see much.
If you park up by the road, good places will be grabbed several days before the tour comes through.
Often better to park nearby and cycle to a good position with a picnic.
Expect road closures and a lot of waiting on the day with a good atmosphere as the caravane comes through an hour before the riders.
If you can, stay, or go to where the teams are having an overnight stop and/or a rest day. You will then see the tremendous support infrastructure that follows the tour, mobile workshops, and drool over the bikes and possibly see more of the riders.
You will know more of the tactics and of what is happening on the stage by watching TV coverage. If possible record the stage from TV.
Don’t be too distracted with taking pictures of riders going past, (TV close ups pictures are better) relax, enjoy the atmosphere and savour the memories.
Make sure you are staying in a good location for the fireworks on Bastille Day.

Mpdaysaway (Braysaway?) Great freebies, I won’t ask how much you scrabbled for them!

Steve B

I'm in Brussels for the grand depart, but using an airbnb between the start and finish, not the MP. I just enjoy the atmosphere and the caravanne, I think the time trials are the best for spectators, but each to their own. Always cheered for Sky, as they often got some unwarranted boo's.