Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate Cycle Carrier

Blackrat

Hi,
I realise there is a 3 page thread on this subject but I couldn’t find the answer I am looking for.
I am specifically looking for a tailgate mounted carrier as opposed to tow ball mounted. I’ve seen the one on the Mercedes website but it’s pricey and I only really need it for two bikes not four.
I was looking at the Thule Raceway or Backpack models. Their website indicates that these are suitable for the V class but not for the MP. I’m not sure if this is simply because they have no data for the MP because it’s a rare vehicle.
Does anyone know if a carrier that fits the V will also fit the MP or indeed does anyone have any other make of tailgate carrier that fits.
Thanks in advance.

The fat controller

A good question indeed. I know that most here are users of the towbar mounted type carrier and have yet to come across anyone with a tailgate mounted one other than that which you mention. Have you tried asking a dealer (no joke!)? You never know...

Blackrat

A good question indeed. I know that most here are users of the towbar mounted type carrier and have yet to come across anyone with a tailgate mounted one other than that which you mention. Have you tried asking a dealer (no joke!)? You never know...
Thanks for the reply but the dealer we bought it from didn’t know how to raise the roof never mind anything else. They couldn’t even find the swan neck for the factory fitted tow bar so ordered me a new one. Once I got it home it was housed in its designated space in the boot!

The fat controller

Thanks for the reply but the dealer we bought it from didn’t know how to raise the roof never mind anything else. They couldn’t even find the swan neck for the factory fitted tow bar so ordered me a new one. Once I got it home it was housed in its designated space in the boot!
:rolleyes:

The fat controller

For those that are interested I've discovered that the part number for the Vito tailgate bike carrier is the same (and from the pictures it's clearly the same rack) but the price is - guess what- much lower!

Clearly MB think Vito drivers are more likely to be watching their cash then MP owners! It's still listed as £610 in their brochure mind, but this certainly beats the £799 the MP carrier is listed at!! I'm waiting for Lookers to get back to me to confirm price.

Epigram

My dealer also put a new swan neck on order until I found it at home when checking the location of the jack.
BTW There is a post somewhere on this forum of a tailgate mounted rack failing and breaking the rear window. Expensive ! :(

The fat controller

For those that are interested I've discovered that the part number for the Vito tailgate bike carrier is the same (and from the pictures it's clearly the same rack) but the price is - guess what- much lower!

Clearly MB think Vito drivers are more likely to be watching their cash then MP owners! It's still listed as £610 in their brochure mind, but this certainly beats the £799 the MP carrier is listed at!! I'm waiting for Lookers to get back to me to confirm price.
OK I'm an idiot. It's the VAT of course....

Blackrat

That’s a shame. Back to trying to figure if a Thule for a V class will fit because they’re only £300.

Method7

I know it’s hard to say for certain but the MP is based on the V-Class and there are no changes to the tailgate that I am aware of, I suppose the pop up roof takes up some extra space but no more than the OEM roof rails on the V-class. And there’s the roof spoiler to consider. Thule kit is good and well made but from my knowledge, their boot mounted racks are not really comparable to the MB one. Unless we have different catalogues the Thule boot racks are temporary where the MB one is more of a fixture, even the Fiamma rack seems flimsy by comparison. I would be interested to see what rack we are talking about.

Blackrat

Hi, The rack I was looking at is the Thule Backpack 973 which their website says is suitable for the V class. I previously had Thule on my E class and was very impressed with the quality and ease of use.
I managed to stop by my local MB dealer yesterday and had a quick look at a V class. The tailgate does look identical, it’s just the clearance for the roof I’m concerned about.
I don’t doubt that the Mercedes rack is good quality but as they only do a four bike rack it’s much bulkier than I would like.