Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Still unthinking about it.

terry1956

Hi. I am a long time motorhomer. But due to also owning a house in france which as been almost forgotten about for a few years as I travelled around Europe fly fishing and drinking beer. Due to the house needing work and so on I sold the motor home and as I write this from a very bobbing around ferry I have the house done and up for sale and completed my experience of living in hotels and eating hotel food. Ok not a big deal for many but for the last 5 years I have had cohns and the hotel food bit was a major disaster. So if I want to travel I will need to cook my own food and that leads to a new van. I have looked at the vw but its so dated inside and the van comes with a number of major faults which vw have not addressed. So it looks like a mp. As it will replace my car I wanted the best drive and a true automatic. I will not be buying yet as I wish to wait until there is more feedback from uk owners. But so far I have find from a German owner that there is a fault with the rear seat motors burning out, as you will all know Germany as had the mp for many years now. Also I thing that once the madness of the pcp thing hits people dealers will need to make better deals then the 9.1 percent from carwow. But I hope to be back on the German beer and with the mp all sorted by next year.

mptripsaway

Interesting information re:the seat motors Terry, is that anecdotal from one owner or is there evidence out there that it is a known problem? I also considered waiting before purchasing but I am pleased that I didn't because I would be twiddling my thumbs instead of enjoying what in my opinion is a great vehicle. The discounts that you talk about may never materialise, I checked carwow and the best deal offered on my vehicles exact spec built to order was 5% and exactly £500 less than I paid direct with my local dealer. Go get it Terry, there's more to life than saving a few quid :) Good luck with your purchase.

terry1956

hi, re the seat it was an owner I spoke to. and he stated that it is a common issue on MP and known about for some time in Germany. I have used carwow before to purchase my bmw and all went well, I have spoken to the MB dealers who have offered 9.1 discount and they are cool with it. I cant see any reason why I can,t get more off later. as for being only money, well I like to keep mine and not give it away to car dealers. The offer issue hanging around in the background is of course the green nonsense, I go into Bristol a lot and they are now trying to bring in new taxes on diesel cars so I need to see what rubbish they come out with and if the MP can meet the job. terry

mptripsaway

Thanks for the info Terry, I will watch out for faulty motors although I asked a friend who lives in Detmold, Germany to google it for me and he couldn't find any mention on German websites? My wife has just joined facebook group and I got a little confused when reading one of the posts on there which I thought was by you, are you Michael Callaghan on that group? Anyway good luck with your future purchase.

funkyegg

Given MP isn't really a new vehicle for other countries so one would think the motor has already been tried and tested. However, the demo car showing in Mercedes Portsmouth did have a fault with the rear seat so I will watch out for this...

anyideas

I used carwow and only one dealer offered 9.1%, when I was viewing vehicles at local dealerships and I mentioned the discount on offer none said they would match. I also think the dealer I am using has reduced the discount to just over 7% going forward.

terry1956

Anyideas, how many dealers do you want, an offer is an offer. I purchased my 2015 bmw 330d using carwow after driving around most of the bmw dealers in the S/W. just got sick to death of hearing the same rubbish from them all the time. not making money on new car sales, can only do a deal on Hp, or you need to purchase paint protection, gap insurance and so on. so I turned to brokers, got 12 percent off, and it was from one of the very same dealers I went to. I have know connection with carwow at all but I will be using them to buy the mp if I do purchase one.
As to Mercedes fixing the seat motor fault. know they will not, its a low volume van and it will be the westfallia part of the company who will need to correct it. Mercedes will just cover it up and hope that there are not to many motors to replace under warranty.
I purchased a New Mercedes owned smart years back to tow behind my motorhome. On a trip in Switzerland from Germany the engine overheated and the knocking started. Mercedes breakdown cover was next to useless and in the end I had to use the AA. the car needed a new engine as the stop go system had broken the cam belt and killed the engine. This was on a car with around 5000 miles on it. It turned out to be a common fault known to all out side of the UK and posted on many forums. There was a misalignment of some sort in the engine. I asked for MB to take the car back as I know longer trusted it and they sold me it knowing it had a known fault within the engine. At first I got the rubbish talk from the main dealer. I went to MB UK and after a few weeks of fighting my corner and informing them I would go to the papers, motoring mags etc I got my money back.
I know all cars have their faults from time to time, but its how the company deals with them that counts to me.

Last edited:

anyideas

sharing my own experience wasn't to moan about the discount received or that I only received a discount of that size from one dealer. More so to say that to expect discounts greater then that maybe optimistic thinking. I could be completely wrong though:)

terry1956

I was not having a go. but it only takes one dealer to make a deal. I lived in the states for years and boy do the car dealers work for their money so unlike here. One think I know is don't go wanting to buy the first thing you see, don't just fall into the sale mans hands with their same old story and do walk away. the best time to walk away is when they think they have you. take control, make then work for your money.