Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare wheel

ding33

Found out the hard way today that we don’t have one - although sure I checked previously and we did.

Anyone else managed to get one retrofitted?

Epigram

Searching “spare wheel” on this forum and facebook Marco Polo Chat you will find a lot about spare wheels being stolen through the cable being cut.
I’ve just had a quick skim, has anyone come up with an anti theft device?
...or for that matter a quick way of checking the tyre pressure.

ding33

Just checked the Facebook group and found an earlier post from me saying we had one so was definitely stolen... :(

Just checked the Facebook group and found an earlier post from me saying we had one so was definitely stolen... :(
My spare was stolen twice by cutting the cable. Mercs don't do their own security so Im searching for a third-party device. Did you come up with anything?

WILLH

I know wheels are stolen but is there really a market for knock off space saver spare wheels?

ding33

Got the bits (wheel and wonder mechanism) but as you say no anti theft device. Going to have a hunt around on google to see if anything suitable pre-made.

Method7

I wonder is it’s worth carrying a spare anyway, particularly if your being targeted by thieves!

Method7

How does that prevent someone stealing the wheel, is there a locking mechanism?

oh I see it just masks the existing mechanism vulnerabilities..

Last edited:

Method7

Out of interest, I’ve looked at the spare wheel and cannot work out how a thief would cut the cable. There’s no way behind the wheel so they must just chisel off the end... if this is the case what’s stopping them attacking this device in much the same way?

ding33

Picture is missing the big metal plate that bolts to the chassis with shear bolts by the winding mechanism... this is where the cable is cut (including housing) to steal the wheel (based on bitter experience!)

ding33

The metal tube in centre of wheel is to stop the end being cut off. Time will tell whether the device is effective but may add enough faff to stealing the wheel to provide a deterrent at least.

PeeGee

The ad calls it a ‘Vito 2015’ anti-theft guard. My MP is 2019. Do you know whether there is any reason it won’t fit just as well?

AdamFel

Fitted one of these today and it’s brilliant! Steel plate covers wire where it was cut and bolts to body. Highly recommended.
The metal tube in centre of wheel is to stop the end being cut off. Time will tell whether the device is effective but may add enough faff to stealing the wheel to provide a deterrent at least.
hi,
Mine got stolen too. I understand you’ve got two anti-theft pieces mounted on yours? I’ve got steel plate on to cover the cable but I never thought of the other end of the cable ( pictured with link to eBay). Helps a lot, thanks. Buying that. Just a question, my MB is on 245/45/19 whees. Is yours too? And if so, what size of a rim and tyre do you have on your spare ? Did you get it from MB dealer and how much?

Last edited:

Carol

I know wheels are stolen but is there really a market for knock off space saver spare wheels?
Are the newer Marco Polos being equipped with space saver wheels , mines a full size steel wheel.
It would ’nt surprise me ,my first BMW came with a spare matching alloy , My latest has a steel space saver
l’m now looking for new tyres so will have the spare tyre put on an alloy and 3 new tyres same as spare . spare will then have one of my tyres on ,but remain at 1 .5 mls tread