Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sorting out insurance for our Marco Polo

funkyegg

Does anyone know if the Marco Polo is fitted with a Thatcham Category 1 or 2 alarms?

I am looking at insurance with Comfort and they require the vehicle to be fitted with at least one of the above two alarms. I'm pretty sure the MP has a decent security system but not exactly sure which one it has. Please can anyone clarify?

Thanks

DonnyMac

I can't imagine they'd fit anything less than Thatcham 1 but someone else will need to confirm.

What I do know is that if you've got Command Online the vehicle has a tracker allowing you to see where it is and set an alert if it moves.

So the brochure says anyhow.

funkyegg

I went on to Thatcham's website and found their OEM manufacturer fitting list where it says all v class vehicles are fitted with Thatcham 1 alarms so guess problem solved. I went for Comfort insurance in the end.

Managed to add ours as a multi vehicle policy (although it didn't call it that name) for a very reasonable price through compare the market on iirc lv. Happy to look out the details if needed?

funkyegg

Managed to add ours as a multi vehicle policy (although it didn't call it that name) for a very reasonable price through compare the market on iirc lv. Happy to look out the details if needed?
cheers @The.dunnster I went with Comfort in the end at a fairly good price, cheaper than my MX5, but others might be interested in your details.

Karen

Has anyone paid extra from the remote online for vehicle tracking? The insurance companies don't accept the Mercedes me app/remote online as a tracker. Mercedes cant tell me what category of tracker it is. Have people had a tracker fitted after collecting it from the garage?

Also do people know the name of the Marco polo conversion? When I give the type of vehicle as v250d Marco polo amg line the insurance company keep saying that is the vehicle but not the 'campervan' conversion name by westfalia. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Roy C

I insured with LV and when getting a quote the Marco Polo version was listed under theV-Class options. I did not provide any details on a tracker and have not / do not intend to get one fitted.

Katie

I went through a similar process re whether the mp is thatcham 1 approved. Did the same as funkyegg and saw all V class are. Also got this confirmed by my dealer.
Went with Comfort insurance who suggested I get the dealership to confirm this in writing on the invoice, which I did. I think the issue for Comfort was that the mp is not listed separately on the Thatcham website, unlike the vw Cali.
I guess they will get used to the mp in due course.
Interestingly, I got my V5 yesterday and the vehicle is listed as an MPV, not a Campervan - I wonder if this will make it cheaper on the ferry / tunnel crossings?

Similar situation to all above when insuring the MP. We have gone with Comfort and used the same process Funkyegg has described above, Comfort have accepted the downloadable document off the Thatcham sites that states all Mercedes Viano 04-onwards have a Thatcham Cat 1 fitted as standard

Rusty888

I went through a similar process re whether the mp is thatcham 1 approved. Did the same as funkyegg and saw all V class are. Also got this confirmed by my dealer.
Went with Comfort insurance who suggested I get the dealership to confirm this in writing on the invoice, which I did. I think the issue for Comfort was that the mp is not listed separately on the Thatcham website, unlike the vw Cali.
I guess they will get used to the mp in due course.
Interestingly, I got my V5 yesterday and the vehicle is listed as an MPV, not a Campervan - I wonder if this will make it cheaper on the ferry / tunnel crossings?
I got my V5 recently and took my MP on channel tunnel last week. The vehicle is registered on the V5 as MPV but if you look at Eurotunnel's vehicle definitions they clearly treat it as a campervan and charge accordingly

Rusty888

I insured with LV and when getting a quote the Marco Polo version was listed under theV-Class options. I did not provide any details on a tracker and have not / do not intend to get one fitted.
I am just about to do the same. I found LV to be significantly cheaper than Comfort and have insured with them for other vehicles and home insurance for several years. I have had 1 claim on each policy in the last few years and their treatment of each was excellent. On receipt of my renewal invitation I always check quotes on line with Go Compare or similar and invariably get a reduction from LV making them the most favourable for my requirements.