Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Snow chains

Jamboree

Anyone have recommendations on snow chains -- brand
I'm looking for cheap ones - I try my best not to ever use them but want to keep them in the car.

I have 2018 MP 200hp 2x4

BabaJen

for a "just in case" use, not for regular use, I kept a pair of snow socks in my van. Take up a lot less room and a lot cheaper. Lack the durability but will get you out of trouble and far easier to put on. I found with chains that if I was only very occasionally putting them on then I struggled, and risked marking the vehicle.

I presume that you have winter, or at least MnS, tyres on the vehicle?

Last edited:

Jamboree

Thanks - I'm looking into the Snow Socks, I currently live in Switzerland and do travel throughout Europe (and even during winter) so I'm trying to find out the answer: Are these "legal"/"approved" for travel during winter chain required areas.

Come to think of it - It is a MP and I probably won't be going into many areas that need a 4x4/chain requirement.

Jamboree

A follow up question to my own question.
I found a good price for a set of snow chains -- I contacted the manufacturer and they said the chains I found are for Cars and not Trucks/Vans. The one for trucks/vans is almost 2x the cost. Because I only plan on using the chains when absolutely required - what really is the difference between the two chains (car vs truck/van) ---- I'm assuming the weight of the vehicle, but I can't think of anything else.

BabaJen

I suggest that you check for local regulations for specific areas that you are visiting as the requirement for chains can be a local issue, not a national issue.

Also bear in mind that many area's winter or all season tyres will be mandatory where chains will not be so if your vehicle is not equipped with tyres bearing the snowflake symbol you may be pulled over, fined and the vehicle impounded until you change the tyres.
"
Your own country, Switzerland, is also one that has "common-sense" regulations. Get into trouble when bad weather or difficult terrain is obvious and if you do not have the required combination of tyres/chains/socks then you can be penalised.. 4WD is pretty useless in difficult weather without correct tyres and that should be first priority.