Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

hi - here you go.

1. Electrics under front seat - as seat rotates could expose wire. Mb confirmed mine had worn and fix applied.

2. Engine diesel remap - emissions

3. Rear seat bracket - iirc recall was that seat that bracket in some circumstances might not lock the seat in correctly and could cause the seat to move forward in an accident.

Van is a 67 plate.

Believe there was one other, but for the life of me I can’t remember.....

Cheers

Just checked the EU recall page (good reference - thx for that KDM) and yes it did have another recall, it was the steering column / airbag one....

Hi folks.

So just popped up in the roof and the corrosion appears to be there on all 3 of the surrounds that don’t pivot up with the mattress / support unit. Ie the back and two sides at the rear. pics attached.

serial number (inside mattress) also attached. Doesn’t seem to smell too much

My challenge is due to take the van away on hols on Tuesday am. Ferry involved so not simple to delay.

Only sales are working at local MB garage today who advised need to speak with service as it’s Sunday “we can only sell you one today” Not surprising really.

So 8am tomorrow into Mb to work out options. Current thinking.

1. Can they fix supports and replace mattress tomorrow? Doubtful. Parts prob have to come from MB Germany.

2. Do they have a loaner / demo available?

3. Backup plan!

•Is the metal strong enough to hold the kids?
•Mattress alternative (don’t want kids inhaling what ever that is on the mattress doing that to the metal) perhaps an air bed purchase
•Hire another van - who’s liable? Insurance v me v MB
•Delay / claim insurance - is this type of issue covered?

Don’t really want to delay so I’m thinking realistically it’s prob going to be loaner or air bed fix.

Any thoughts or advice most welcome and gratefully appreciated!

Cheers

Andy

Attachments

• 667BF310-5911-4127-8A35-7013B11E46CF.jpeg
    667BF310-5911-4127-8A35-7013B11E46CF.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 48
  • E6F575C3-16E9-46C2-BAD8-432914EA5C2F.jpeg
    E6F575C3-16E9-46C2-BAD8-432914EA5C2F.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 46
  • BAB1F1CE-F234-47E3-B7A4-BAD7B20CE0E3.jpeg
    BAB1F1CE-F234-47E3-B7A4-BAD7B20CE0E3.jpeg
    17 KB · Views: 44

Epigram

Hi Dunnster/Andy
Wow that corrosion looks bad.
Notwithstanding that, I would be more concerned about the effect of the chemical releases in a confined space. Is that mentioned in the recall notice? To reiterate; what are the chemicals.
I would be minded to draw Mercedes attention to their obligations under COSHH Regulations (see my original post) and tell them to provide you with a suitable alternative or purchase something from a camping shop and bill them!
Sleeping upstairs is high enough without unwanted substance abuse!
PS Enjoy your holiday. I hope the kids don’t land in the sink!

Hi,

Cheers for the feedback Epigram.

Just finished speaking with Sandown. Again they’ve been great.

FWIW, I was told the damage to mine is not the worst MB have seen and if its red it’s classed as def worse (rust or some reaction I’m guessing) and needing immediate attention. On one of my brackets can just see red dots appearing.

Sandown don’t have the parts in stock or a van they can loan. However, they are overnighting (pun very much intended!) a new mattress ready for collection at 8am tomorrow. Will then fix the support brackets on our return. Oh looking at it, the kids would appear to fall on us feet first if the brackets fail where the corrosion is. At least they’ll have a soft landing!

So now a deep wash of all of the bedding and I’m about to climb up and clean anything that would have come into contact with the mattress.

Have asked Sandown to arrange a call or meet with MB on our return.

Would recommend if you have a spare moment checking out your brackets, whether or not you got the recall.

All the best,

Andy

Ian

I worry with a recall like this that they inspect the metal work once and declare it to be fine and then the corrosion appears a few years down the line. Any idea what would happen then if it was noticed after the warranty had expired?

Ian

My point here was if the recall was just to inspect whether the issue had occurred and at the point of inspection it had not and your van was declared fine, is there any other subsequent comeback if corrosion was noticed after the warranty expired. All of the other recalls have involved Mercedes taking proactive action to prevent something potentially happening.

My point here was if the recall was just to inspect whether the issue had occurred and at the point of inspection it had not and your van was declared fine, is there any other subsequent comeback if corrosion was noticed after the warranty expired. All of the other recalls have involved Mercedes taking proactive action to prevent something potentially happening.

From what I can gather, they know the serial numbers of the mattresses with the issue, but not which vehicles they're in so the inspection would largely be the mattress serial number ? If the mattress is changed and there's no corrosion then I doubt you'll have an issue later down the line, and if you did, the fact you had a mattress with the issue, Mercedes would have little wiggle room to get out of it!

Ian

That makes more sense. Thought it might have been caused by more than just an issue with the matters. Cheers.

GeorgeG

Where did you actually see the corrosion?
The corrosion is on the metal parts (galvanized plates, rivets and hinges) under the mattress. Not all MP’s are affected though. Sorry for delay in reply - missed your post.

Steve B

I've not received a recall notice. I had a look at my mattress, couldn't find the bar code label, only the one in the picture. Looked for corrosion and couldn't find any. Must be as GeorgeG says not all affected, mine is a late 68 plate.

Attachments

• mattress.jpg
    mattress.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 11
Hi folks I've recieved a letter I forming me of a recall on my mattress just got back from a week in Germany sleeping upstairs the whole week I've had a look at the metal parts upstairs and it's corroded so it looks like it'll have to be replaced along with a list of other parts on the van sadly

Steve B

Hi folks I've recieved a letter I forming me of a recall on my mattress just got back from a week in Germany sleeping upstairs the whole week I've had a look at the metal parts upstairs and it's corroded so it looks like it'll have to be replaced along with a list of other parts on the van sadly
What age is yours?

askho

Just got back from the dealer for the recall inspection. Unfortunately I have got corrosion in the bed frame so they have to order the parts. I asked how the mattress can affect the metal work. The chap said it's got nothing to do with the mattress. I think the serial number of the mattress identifies the built date of the car.

Gazthediver

I had the recall done my vehicle is 19reg bed never used and mattress still in the bag , I can see no corrosion but dealership tells my my mp is affected and are ordering all the on the list to replace