Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Epigram

Under the thead for Tiny Blisters in Roof, @GeorgeG said:
Regarding the metal hinge (and other parts) corrosion in the roof area, I was told it is down to some chemical in the mattress! My dealer approached Mercedes about this and apparently they will be issuing a technical bulletin with instructions as to what parts to order and the repair procedure to follow. We’ll have to wait and see if it becomes subject of a recall.

I have posted this under a separate thread to the roof issues because this relates to mattresses. If you google and read articles on mattress fire retardants and their potential effects on health you will see where I am coming from.

When I first had my new MP I wasn’t sure whether the strong smell was coming from the fibreglass roof or the mattress. I put the roof up and left the mattress to stew in a hot conservatory for a couple of weeks before I ventured to sleep on it in the van.

If chemical vapours are being released from the mattress and they can corrode plated metal, what are the potential health effects if regularly exposed to them in the confined space of a camper-van?

Do Mercedes/ Westfalia identify any chemicals in the mattresses in their documentation ? How does this stand in relation to the COSHH (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health) Regulations?

More information is needed!

patas

Hello, last week I went MB dealer in Spain to check and repair some noise from the side door. After that, they told me that they had to do some checkings in the serial number of the matress because they have a guaranty order from MB to change some matress of marcopolo Vans. Later they confirmed that my matress had to be replaced by a new one. The new one is exactly as the old one with a different serial number in the label.
Now I know why they changed the matress.

Enviado desde mi Aquaris X mediante Tapatalk

Epigram

Very Interesting, Patas.
I will ask the dealer when I am back off holiday.
I haven’t looked for mine yet but where was the serial number on your mattress?

Method7

Our mattress is still sealed in the original polythene wrapper. No one has slept up there yet.

askho

I got a Safety Recall notice from MB this morning : Check roof bed with mattress on pop up roof.

Apparently corrosion of metallic components under the mattress may occur under certain temp/humidity conditions, which will weaken the roof structure and cause the roof bed to detach and slip into the passenger compartment.

Steve B

I got a Safety Recall notice from MB this morning : Check roof bed with mattress on pop up roof.

Apparently corrosion of metallic components under the mattress may occur under certain temp/humidity conditions, which will weaken the roof structure and cause the roof bed to detach and slip into the passenger compartment.
What age is yours? I’ve not had a recall notice

Method7

We got a recall notice this morning it’s a June 2018. The mattress is still wrapped in its OEM plastic ☹️

askho

Mine is unused too, but I have removed the plastic wrapping. It will be christened coming Monday as I will be attending a coastal foraging course and I will stay overnight in the MP

GeorgeG

Also received recall letter. May be connected to fact that I brought the corrosion to the attention of the Southampton Mercedes dealer in March when I visited them with the roof blisters issue. I spoke to the Service Manager there and he decided the best course of action was to file a report with Mercedes with a view to instigating a recall.

My roof is being replaced by them at the moment. I would have had it back on Friday, but whilst reassembling everything they noticed some ‘paint irregularities’ in the new roof. It will now have to be re-painted!

I’m hoping they can fix the mattress issue while they still have it. I’ll report back with any information on the precise nature of the issue.

askho

Also received recall letter. May be connected to fact that I brought the corrosion to the attention of the Southampton Mercedes dealer in March when I visited them with the roof blisters issue. I spoke to the Service Manager there and he decided the best course of action was to file a report with Mercedes with a view to instigating a recall.

My roof is being replaced by them at the moment. I would have had it back on Friday, but whilst reassembling everything they noticed some ‘paint irregularities’ in the new roof. It will now have to be re-painted!

I’m hoping they can fix the mattress issue while they still have it. I’ll report back with any information on the precise nature of the issue.
Where did you actually see the corrosion?

Also received the recall letter today. So that’s def four recalls, but I think I’ve missed one and it’s five in total.

Feels a bit like triggers broom!

Method7

Also received the recall letter today. So that’s def four recalls, but I think I’ve missed one and it’s five in total.

Feels a bit like triggers broom!
You don’t seem very happy about this, but you have to look on the up-side you could be stuck with a 20 yo v280 a bongo friendee or maybe a VW - they probably won’t send out any recalls since after nearly 60 years doing the same thing they have perfected the camper van.

Ha. No I love the van - the triggers broom thing was meant to be I’m getting a new van bit by bit. Classic episode that though!!

I’m also lucky enough to drive a 3 year old c class had from new and that has had just the 1 recall, previously had a qashqai (no recalls) whereas the van has / will go back to MB 7 times in just over 18 months: the 4 recalls + hinges on sink replaced, tow bar subframe replaced (original wouldn’t release), tailgate bounce fixed (+ then again by me today 1 week later).

The mp is new to UK market but believe it’s been around in Europe for a while in previous versions and Westfalia have been around for yonks so just seems odd to have so many recalls and issues.

The service by local dealer has been great so I guess I’m begging to question the quality of build (or is it design). In particular the tailgate is bugging me the most. Why did it happen (and again today)? What happens if it goes during the family trip abroad this year (thankfully now have the fix)? What happens when the warranty expires?

Again, the vans amazing and we are lucky to be able to afford it and enjoying it loads. Just wasn’t expecting this many issues from a premium brand.

Cheers.

KDM

The emissions thing
Seat wiring under front seats
Mattress
+ one other. Maybe the roof paint?
Brian Drought, thanks will enquire about the others when I take it in to have the mattress examined. Will try and search for the other issues as well; wondering if they are listed here in the Owners Club site.